• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youngstown OC event

zack991

Just a heads up Youngstown police are not very friendly to the OC movement. I am not sure if they will mess with us as a group, but make sure everyone has a recorder on them. I have been stopped a few times before and their Police chief and Major are very anti gun.

Troy bilt

I have a lot of time on my hands thanks to being laid off. I will do any leg work involved. I am new to much of this, but will give it my best. Any suggestions as to who needs to be contacted? I personally would like to invite the chief.

zack991

I have a lot of time on my hands thanks to being laid off. I will do any leg work involved. I am new to much of this, but will give it my best. Any suggestions as to who needs to be contacted? I personally would like to invite the chief.

http://www.cityofyoungstownoh.org/city_hall/departments/police/police.aspx

http://www.cityofyoungstownoh.org/city_hall/departments/mayor/mayor.aspx

Feel free to invite any of them but dont expect a reply. You could also contact Buckeyfirearms.org and see if any of their members would like to Join us.

NEOOpenCarry

Youngstown Anti-gun

Youngstown being radically anti-gun is definitely what pushed us to have our first walk of the season there. It is also what is going to make this event a lot larger than the last few. People have been waiting for a few months for this and are very excited about it. There is a serious need for some education and advocacy in Youngstown. I will contact the police department prior to our walk and inform them that NEO Carry will be out in downtown on that day passing out educational fliers and that most of our members will be openly armed. I do this as a courtesy and also to find out about any local ordinances, for example Kent has a no putting fliers on vehicles policy (which we don't do anyway, but it was still good to know). I will certainly invite the chief and any of his officers to attend. I know some of the Mahoning County Sheriffs Deupties personally from being a teacher in YCSD, and I will be inviting them as well. Is anyone familiar with the local media in that area? Anyone willing to start contacting news stations and news papers and letting them know about our walk? I can have a press release done up by tomorrow night if I have some people willing to get the word out there.

joanie

I wish not to divide efforts. I will contact NEO tomorrow. I just want to try to help make efforts better. I think that we can do better than just a walk. I think we can have more fun than just going to court. I would like to see a morning in court. A walk to a park. A family friendly B-B-Q with sac races, ballon tosses, egg race.

If that does not sound good lets do something for the residents of Youngstown. Clean a park, paint some playground equipment. Lets have some fun.

I think I talked to you on Youtube, I took your advice and found this place. How about a charity roadside trash pickup? We can take donations to buy Peirs Morgan a lifetime NRA membership. I think Youngstown is a bit far for me in my rickity car. I am workshoping the idea for such an event here in central Ohio though. This place is pretty cool, kinda like AmericaChat, maybe if I can get enough traffic over there, I'll expand the Firearms Forum into something like this. Anyway, good luck with your Youngstown event and have fun.

Joan

joanie

If you want to go but need a ride, mention it here. Carpooling to events is a regular thing.

Yeah, that would be great, if I could find a non smoking carpool out of southwest Columbus. What if I get arrested though?, lol, am I stuck there? Would I be able to transfer the case to Franklin county court?

MyWifeSaidYes

Non-smoking, not a problem.

The problem is this:

If you are worried about being arrested for open carry, DO NOT open carry.

And that means anywhere. Even in Columbus and it's suburbs, while I haven't seen any reports of harassment, let alone an actual arrest, it could happen.

Being self-employed, my time is a bit more flexible than other's. I'm not scared of an arrest, and I'm confident in my choice of attorneys for a court fight.

A few of us open carriers will be at Joseppi's Pizza on West Broad St. (between Giant Eagle and JoAnn Fabrics) for an informal Meet&Greet tomorrow, er, later today (Saturday 3/30/13 @ 1pm). I'm buying soft drinks.

I don't think they serve alcohol, so an OC'er without a CHL should be fine. I did not see a CPZ sign when I was there last.

joanie

Non-smoking, not a problem.

The problem is this:

If you are worried about being arrested for open carry, DO NOT open carry.

And that means anywhere. Even in Columbus and it's suburbs, while I haven't seen any reports of harassment, let alone an actual arrest, it could happen.

Being self-employed, my time is a bit more flexible than other's. I'm not scared of an arrest, and I'm confident in my choice of attorneys for a court fight.

A few of us open carriers will be at Joseppi's Pizza on West Broad St. (between Giant Eagle and JoAnn Fabrics) for an informal Meet&Greet tomorrow, er, later today (Saturday 3/30/13 @ 1pm). I'm buying soft drinks.

I don't think they serve alcohol, so an OC'er without a CHL should be fine. I did not see a CPZ sign when I was there last.

I know the risks of arrest in an open carry event, and I've been arrested a handfull of times, spent up to a week in jail each time. I've never had a 200 mile walk home once released though. then theres a court case to contend with. I know they like to play the continuance game. I once went to court 11 times before the case was dismissed rather than let it go to a jury trial.

I can't afford an attorney, so I'd just go the public defender route. I've had a couple of bad experance with police, I'm talking creepy horror movie type stuff. I'm not all that eager to go on this walk if there will be police attending. I would not have chosen to inform the police. I do however think it's a good idea to inform the local bussiness in that area, and ask their policy if they have one, on open carry. I did this at the Golden Corral where I eat and the waitress who had to check, came back and said, "No we don't allow conceal carry in here" Not what I asked, but good enough answer for me, and I respect their choice after all it's their place.

Sorry I missed the meet and greet, just now getting the message or I would have came. If getting arrested in Youngstown is a real risk, maybe I shouldn't go. I mean getting arrested is bad enough for me, I would risk it here because well, I am closer to help and home. I watched the videos on YT, and kinda picked out the mistakes, things I would or would not have said or done. I have a high degree of self respect that will work against me dealing with a cop. Theres only maybe been a couple of police I could actually talk to because they didn't treat me as a lowlife criminal.

If I knew I could have the case transfered to Franklin county court, and there was a Grayhound bus from there to here, I think I would risk it. Let me do some checking, I can make the calls monday. I guess I still have plenty of time to decide. Thanks for your input..

Joan

Bfiorentino

I can't afford an attorney, so I'd just go the public defender route. I've had a couple of bad experance with police, I'm talking creepy horror movie type stuff. I'm not all that eager to go on this walk if there will be police attending. I would not have chosen to inform the police. I do however think it's a good idea to inform the local bussiness in that area, and ask their policy if they have one, on open carry. I did this at the Golden Corral where I eat and the waitress who had to check, came back and said, "No we don't allow conceal carry in here" Not what I asked, but good enough answer for me, and I respect their choice after all it's their place.

If I knew I could have the case transfered to Franklin county court, and there was a Grayhound bus from there to here, I think I would risk it. Let me do some checking, I can make the calls monday. I guess I still have plenty of time to decide. Thanks for your input..

Joan

I don't ask if there is a policy if there is no posted signs when I CC. Although I was asked to leave the Eastwood Mall when I did OC there because they had a "No Gun Policy" and it was considered to be Private Property Per Niles City Police Dept. I did comply and locked my weapon in my vehicle and continued on.

However notifying the police of the event is actually a smart thing because there can be no misjudged intentions. Well there can be but not as likely.

There is actually a Greyhound station in the WRTA Bus terminal however it is posted. Also a Firearm is not permitted on the Greyhound as far as I was aware. I worked Security there and know the Owner of the Agency well. Please Correct me if I am wrong but Greyhound is not the way to get here there or anywhere if you are going to transport a firearm.

I plan on attending this event unarmed due to the fact that I am currently a defendant in a court case. See my post for "I NEED YOUR SUPPORT NOW!!" in the Ohio section.

MyWifeSaidYes

...I do however think it's a good idea to inform the local bussiness in that area, and ask their policy if they have one, on open carry. I did this at the Golden Corral where I eat and the waitress who had to check, came back and said, "No we don't allow conceal carry in here" Not what I asked, but good enough answer for me, and I respect their choice after all it's their place...

If you're talking about the Golden Corral on Stringtown, I've NEVER seen a CPZ, or No Guns sign on their store.

If they have now decided to post because you brought it up, you are not making friends here.

If a location has no CPZ signs, PLEASE do not ask if you can carry, open or concealed.

Based on the experiences of numerous people on THIS forum, Buckeye Firearms, Ohioans for Concealed Carry, USACarry, OhioOC, USCCA and others, you will almost ALWAYS get a "NO" when you ask, even on stores with no signs.

joanie

If you're talking about the Golden Corral on Stringtown, I've NEVER seen a CPZ, or No Guns sign on their store. If they have now decided to post because you brought it up, you are not making friends here. If a location has no CPZ signs, PLEASE do not ask if you can carry, open or concealed

You mean that sign with a slash through a gun?, I did take that into account, and I don't know if my question will prompt that or not. Heres my thing, if thats the general rule with those who open carry, I will reluntantly abide by it, but only up to a point. If I get to where I'm comfortable open carrying all the time, there are places in central Ohio (not many) just a few where I do not want a lifetime ban. Grocery store, I have to eat. (Kroger and Audi foods) The Golden Corral where I eat out, The YMCA where I work out (they have a sign already) the church where I attend a support group, 2 or 3 thrift stores, I think pretty much covers it. Just places where I often go and don't want to be banned from. Of corse I could just not ask them and not carry there at all. Only carrying in the places I don't mind being banned from. Far as concealed, if I ever get a permit for it, theres no need to ask because they wouldn't know or see it anyway.

Based on the experiences of numerous people on THIS forum, Buckeye Firearms, Ohioans for Concealed Carry, USACarry, OhioOC, USCCA and others, you will almost ALWAYS get a "NO" when you ask, even on stores with no signs.

Search (16 Open Carriers vs Several Police Officers) on Youtube. Though I'll admit this is probibly rare, for now, I don't think we can really change much if we see the store owners and managers, and people as our enemys. This video is part of the reason I asked at Golden Corral. Because I thought "how great would it be if they allowed this, and I could spread the word and bring in others, even from this discussion board" But maybe your way is better I don't know, just for the shock value of it.

There is actually a Greyhound station in the WRTA Bus terminal however it is posted. Also a Firearm is not permitted on the Greyhound as far as I was aware. I worked Security there and know the Owner of the Agency well. Please Correct me if I am wrong but Greyhound is not the way to get here there or anywhere if you are going to transport a firearm.

My concern was a way home if I rode with another and somehow gotten heald up in jail. I have my doubts I'd ever get my gun back when released anyhow.

I plan on attending this event unarmed due to the fact that I am currently a defendant in a court case. See my post for "I NEED YOUR SUPPORT NOW!!" in the Ohio section.

You can still be there for support and to videotape. In fact, it might be a good idea to have a few videotaping who isn't OCing.

However notifying the police of the event is actually a smart thing because there can be no misjudged intentions. Well there can be but not as likely

I have to strongly disagree on that. The whole point of this, well for me anyway is exersizing personal freedom, that does not include asking a cop's permission or including the police in any way. For me, and I hope for others, this is a 2ed amendment right, that goes tward personal freedom, that goes tward God given free will. We as humans are losing our humanity through conformity, through laws, restrictions, ect. So many in fact that if we were to take a close enough look at all of them, and apply them all as valid, we would all be criminals, no execptions except for a few elete and police who seem to be exempt from the laws they are contracted to enforce.

I have a signiture on AmericaChat, and would here as well if I can figure out how to add a signiture. "When everything is against the law, everyone will be a criminal. When those laws don't apply to police, nothing they ever do will be wrong"

Ok, I think I want to go to this event. As I understand, it's about a month away. (Sunday, May 5th from 12:00pm-2:00pm) Seems a far way to go for only 2 hours though. Is that set in stone? I've never been to one of these, so is there anything I should bring other than a gun in a holster?, and a camera in hand? Also, is there a carpool available with room for one more from anywhere in central Ohio? Whats this thing I hear about empty holsters in the courthouse? I'm going to leave my #s, I hope it's not against the rules here. (614) 875-3118 Joan

eye95

No one said anything about thinking of store managers and owners as being enemies. The whole point is to get them to make the decision after they have first-hand knowledge that OCers are good people and good customers. Just carry and be friendly. If they don't want you to carry (and failed to post the sign), they will tell you to leave. Then leave, remaining just as polite as you were before they asked.

Don't ask. That only increases the chance that they will make their policy decision on the spot, without a lot of thought or informatin--and that decision will likely be no.

Please, we are telling you this out of a massive amount of collective experience. Don't ask, just carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

joanie

No one said anything about thinking of store managers and owners as being enemies. The whole point is to get them to make the decision after they have first-hand knowledge that OCers are good people and good customers. Just carry and be friendly. If they don't want you to carry (and failed to post the sign), they will tell you to leave. Then leave, remaining just as polite as you were before they asked. Don't ask. That only increases the chance that they will make their policy decision on the spot, without a lot of thought or informatin--and that decision will likely be no. Please, we are telling you this out of a massive amount of collective experience. Don't ask, just carry.

Fair enough, But I will just not carry at the places that I can't afford to get banned from. I drove by the Golden Corral to see if they had put up a sign and didn't see any driving around the building. I hope my question don't cause them to, they were busy at the time, maybe it was forgoten. I really was only tring to respect the resturaunt I enjoy eating at so much and not cause them or their customers any panic.

This kinda gives me an idea, to document the places that do and don't have the sign. I know the YMCA has it. been there since I have been going. There are often kids in the swimming pool with squirt guns though. Kinda puts prespective in school kids getting in trouble for paper guns, that girl with the bubble gun, ect.

Last edited:

NEOOpenCarry

OC Event

The 2 hour mark is not set in stone, just a general time. Some can't stay long. I will stay all day if others are. There are a few parks in the area we could certainly stop at. Up to you guys.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Suggestion - start a new thread about the proposed event, and change the date/time in the initial post as needed as things develop. It's time consuming for (possibly) interested parties to wade through pages of posts to find the when & where information.