• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help krogers issue

skeith5

I concur with keeping your mouth shut about guns, even as a general topic. There are a couple people at work who know I carry, and I'm sure others suspect it because everyone has seen me in the news getting interviewed about gun stuff. I'm pretty sure I would keep my job if it became common knowledge but I'd rather not risk it.

WalkingWolf

Unless you work for the government or are in a union, you can be fired for having green hair. Learn to keep your big trap shut, they could fire you for just having a permit. I do believe Krogers is Union though.

HearseGuy

Don't worry, the OP will be caught with it. Because from his story it sounds like he's one of those who can't keep their trap shut.

I've worked for a Kroger branch before (QFC in the seattle area) I was a union member (UFCW local 21)
All Kroger employees are trained in standardized orientation sessions, the OPs Orientator should have covered the no weapons policy and made him sign a waiver to that effect. so unless his trainer udderly screwed up at his job, the OP should've known full well the policy, and yet he's out chatting with the manager about just that.

If you're going to break the rules keep your damn mouth shut and you won't get in trouble. leave your firearm hidden or in lock in a glove box or center console, don't talk about, don't touch it. etc etc etc. it really is that simple folks...

it's like a classmate of mine who got expelled senior year of high school for pointing a toy gun with the orange tip painted over at someone as a joke, if he left his damn airsoft in his pack and didn't talk loudly about it and **** around with it he wouldn't have gotten in trouble. a gun instructor at a local gun show ventilated the roof of the puyallup fair pavillion with a loaded gun he wasn't supposed to have... if his concealed gun had stayed CONCEALED no one would've cared

you getting it yet?

if you're going to break the rule, SHUT UP and don't talk to anyone at work about any kind of guns for any reason and 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% likely you'll never have a problem!

Bingo. To me this nails it.

Sounds like your manager was being really cool and doing you a solid when he said, "its not like im gonna search your car though". For me the conversation would have ended right there with a nod and a wink. Why keep pushing it.

pawn99

I'm not really worried about him searching my car. I know he wouldn't. He isn't that kinda manager. I work 3rd shift while the store is all closed. No managers. There's usually only 3 or 4 of us in the store working. Sometimes 5. I hardly see my store manager if I do its maybe the last 30 minutes and I go home. But Again. I was asking cause I didn't know period. And I wasn't an ass to him nor was he to me. He knew I didn't know. My union rep didn't even know. He was in the same boat I was. So of course I'm gonna ask and find out the truth. There's 3 ppl in the store total that knows about me carrying. Two of which I'm great friends with outside of work and one of the two is my union rep an he's like a brother to me. And my manager knows cause I didn't fully know the rules on that but I've never carried to work or even left it in my car while working im still waiting on my cpl. I wanted to know the rules fully. Also I'm not worried and could care less who knows I carry. I got nothing to hide. I live in a small town. Our 3 main big stores are Walmart, Krogers and Kmart(which not a lot of ppl shop at Kmart) living in a small town everyone knows everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

HearseGuy

Im not really worried about him searching my car. I know he wouldnt. He isnt that kinda manager. i work 3rd! Shift while the store is all closed. No managers. Theirs usally only 3 or 4 of us in the store working. Sometimes 5. I hardly see my store manager if i do its maybe the last 30 minutes and i go home. But Again. I was asking cause i didnt know period. And i wasnt an ass to him nor was he to me. He knew i didnt know. My union rep didnt even know. He was in the same boat i was. So of course im gonna ask and find out the truth. Theirs 3 ppl in the store total that knows about me carrying. Two of which im great friends with outside of work and one of the two is my union rep an he's like a brother to me. And my manager knows cause i didnt fully kno the rules on that but i've never carried to work or even left it in my car while working im still waiting on my cpl. I wanted to kno the rules fully. Also im not worried an could care less who knows i carry. I got nothing to hide. I live in a small town. Our 3 main big stores are walmart, krogers and kmart(which not alot of ppl shop at kmart) living in a small town everyone knows everyone.

No I dig man, that's all good. I understand your situation completely, EMN gave you the best advice. Wanna carry? Do it. But KYBMS! Don't even mention the word gun for the rest of your employment. Just understand the consequences and repercussions of getting caught, or touching my cornbread. :)

Walmart, Kroger, AND Kmart? Sounds like a metropolis! We got a dollar general and a china take out. One stop light. Nearest Walmart is about an hour. That's small town :)

VanillaBK

I have a similar situation with my employer. I park across the street and walk to work every morning. They can't search what's not on their property.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Small_Arms_Collector

Work rules are different for employees VS customers, this is the same almost every place!!!

If you are in a strip mall, then they do not own the land AKA parking lot so they have no rights with respect to search of any vehicle there. If they Own the building then that is a different issue, but stores only rent a building space, the parking lost is a part of the complex..

Lock you car, it is private property and they would need a search warrant to have a look, and the police must be notified and in attendence...

Were that to happen you could fret illness and simply leave... yes it would piss them off but you at worst would only get an infraction of the company rules..

I know of people that carried daily before we had our shall issue laws and despite company policy, the general rule for them was don't ask don't tell... No I am in no way condoning you or any violation of work rules or any laws...

Become a Reserve County Police officer.... yes that gives you some very specific rights...

37 years as a union member, BTDT group, and union representive among other things....

How do you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

pawn99

Haha ya i got a few of them towns around me lol. I kno what u mean. And that is a good idea. Park my car somewhere else. Never thought of that

WalkingWolf

Off duty police officers or on duty has NO impact on the rules or preferences of a property owner. Krogers can fire a police officer for carry just as easily as they can a non police officer.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Simple BTDT...
Off duty police are required per law to carry including reserve...

Please have a look at the second line of my first responce... Their "the Company" rights begin and end at the door to their place of business and does not extend to the parking lot unless specifically (and not normally) specified in their lease agreement.

Secondly If you are off the clock and there for the purchase of items, you are a customer not an employee under their guidelines. This does not mean you can get away with anything special but you are then protected as any customer is.... So if they allow CC for John Doe customer then they allow it for you as well....
In short off the clock they do not own you (that is unless you are US military and it is the government) unless you are being paid by them they have no legal rights to tell you what you may or may not do.

Good luck with that...

EMNofSeattle

Sorry no freebes look it up your self...

Calhoun Co and Barry County require, two country's I am involved with, MSP require, although some states will not honor that such as Ill, your place of business will be obligated.

You are mistaken, you made the claim of law, it's your responsibility to back it up.

you basically didn't bother look up what you'd been told, pulled a claim out of your rear-end, and are now trying to put it out on me. you must cite the law in questions.

John Pierce said:
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Raggs

You are the one wanting the information for your personal use, use your time to go to http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dcpbya55eoclskncu0drkbqf))/mileg.aspx?page=home and use their search engine, If you are not happy with this sorry ban me no freebies.

In my over 40 years of practical experience every police agency (As a Fire Marshall now retired) I have had dealings with in this state and there are quite a number have all required their officers to carry off duty and per union regulations it was considered negligence if they did not, something they could not fight if given written notice.

Sheldon you said there is a law, he asked you to cite which law, which by the way you agreed to do when becoming a member of this forum? Is your word not good? Don't we all dislike when our politicians agree to something or make an oath and go back on it?

wizzi01

You are the one wanting the information for your personal use, use your time to go to http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dcpbya55eoclskncu0drkbqf))/mileg.aspx?page=home and use their search engine, If you are not happy with this sorry ban me no freebies.

In my over 40 years of practical experience every police agency (As a Fire Marshall now retired) I have had dealings with in this state and there are quite a number have all required their officers to carry off duty and per union regulations it was considered negligence if they did not, something they could not fight if given written notice.

So a department requiring someone to carry off duty is a law? If you cannot cite it is not a law.

Motofixxer

This complicated situation is exactly why you have to be careful who and when you start asking questions of. It's not hard to get a hold of a company employee manual and actually read it. I guarantee it's much more accurate than the knowledge of someone you ask. But the other aspect is it might be a good idea to be conscious of who you converse with and about what. Why you ask??? Here are some examples of the next logical step in this evolutional environment:

NY Gun Snitch Hotline
http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/new-york-sets-up-gun-snitch-hotline/#.UUr8WswDSwA.facebook

Rats\Snitches and the problems they can cause
Rats PDF for viewing or DL

Last edited: