• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention, retention, retention!!

tattedupboy

The fear of a gun grab (whether real or imagined), as well as general the anti gun climate where I live, are what keep me from open carrying. Not bashing open carry (I'm not one of those concealed-only carriers who ridicules those who choose to open carry) but it just seems like it would be more of a headache than I'm willing to deal with.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A200 tab using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Gr8gunz

Retention, considering the OP title is "Retention, retention, retention!!" is more than a Level III holster doing all of the retaining for you. No accessory will keep your pistol in your hand once you remove it from your holster. No holster will assist you in retaining your pistol in your hand.

I'm not sure what you are asking at this point. I provided my recommendations on holsters, as requested. Welcome to OCDO and good luck.

AAAAARGH!! You're not sure of what I am asking because I'm not asking anything, nor did I request recommendations! The "retention retention retention" title was to simply play up my personal opinion as to the importance of retention with regard to 'HOLSTERS AND EQUIPMENT" which is the title of the topic. It does not address retention once the pistol is out of the holster. I fail to understand why you think the title I used somehow implies that I am asking for advice about that. If you read the entire post (and not just the title) you will see that the only question I asked was, "Anybody out there use a level III?"

Thanks for your replies and good luck to you as well.

sraacke

I use either a level 1 or level 3 holster depending on how I'm dressing or where I'm going that day. My carry gun is a Ruger P89. Not alot of decent duty holster available for this model but I've found what works for me.
For a "lower profile" carry I use a Bianchi Black Widow belt slide holster like seen here- http://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-black-widow-holsters-for-ruger-sp101-375-size-08.html . I've worn the gun in this holster and had people not even notice it. It's retention is a simple snap strap and thats all.
For my "full on" pistol belt carry where I'm carrying all my stuff and don't care if noticed or not I have a Uncle Mikes Pro3 triple retention duty holster which rides on an Uncle Mikes pistol belt with a spare mag case which holds a spare mag and a led flashlight, my radio carrier for my portable ham radio, and my celphone case. The Pro3, as seen here- http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/597-uncle-mikes-pro-3-duty-holster , holds my P89 by way of a retention tightening screw, a top strap and a internal hook which grabs and holds the trigger guard until the gun is drawn.
Of course, none of this built in retention or lack thereof takes away the responsibility I have to train in retention skills and I have. The holster is only a part of the plan. The fact is if anyone is going to carry a firearm their should take some retention training and learn how to defend their gun.

WalkingWolf

[snip]
Of course, none of this built in retention or lack thereof takes away the responsibility I have to train in retention skills and I have. The holster is only a part of the plan. The fact is if anyone is going to carry a firearm their should take some retention training and learn how to defend their gun.

+1

Gr8gunz

I use either a level 1 or level 3 holster depending on how I'm dressing or where I'm going that day. My carry gun is a Ruger P89. Not alot of decent duty holster available for this model but I've found what works for me.
For a "lower profile" carry I use a Bianchi Black Widow belt slide holster like seen here- http://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-black-widow-holsters-for-ruger-sp101-375-size-08.html . I've worn the gun in this holster and had people not even notice it. It's retention is a simple snap strap and thats all.
For my "full on" pistol belt carry where I'm carrying all my stuff and don't care if noticed or not I have a Uncle Mikes Pro3 triple retention duty holster which rides on an Uncle Mikes pistol belt with a spare mag case which holds a spare mag and a led flashlight, my radio carrier for my portable ham radio, and my celphone case. The Pro3, as seen here- http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/597-uncle-mikes-pro-3-duty-holster , holds my P89 by way of a retention tightening screw, a top strap and a internal hook which grabs and holds the trigger guard until the gun is drawn.

The Uncle Mikes is a good choice. I have never used one but I have read some really good reviews. I fully agree with retention training but it is sadly missing in most CCW courses.