• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Assault" weapons ban loses steam

Aknazer

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-senate-gun-control-bill-amid-waning-support/

Here's an article on this subject from Fox News. Apparently the Personal Defense Weapon (as they are called when our government buys them) ban could still be added as an amendment. There's also still the potential for the bill to be brought up on its own (as in, not part of the current "package" of things being addressed all at once) and voted along as well as the potential for a vote on just banning standard-capacity magazines.

cablebob

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-senate-gun-control-bill-amid-waning-support/

Here's an article on this subject from Fox News. Apparently the Personal Defense Weapon (as they are called when our government buys them) ban could still be added as an amendment. There's also still the potential for the bill to be brought up on its own (as in, not part of the current "package" of things being addressed all at once) and voted along as well as the potential for a vote on just banning standard-capacity magazines.

Thanks for the link! I will check that out. I still think this proposal as an Amendment will not go through. It's the fact that it wasn't put in the body of the bill that makes me think this. They (politicians) are obviously feeling the "heat" from the voters.

The fight is not and will not be over for awhile (if ever). But this is a great step in the correct direction. The only thing better would be if it found it's way into the trash can. Keep writing your representatives and let them know you do not support any bill that limits gun owners rights!

Aknazer

Thanks for the link! I will check that out. I still think this proposal as an Amendment will not go through. It's the fact that it wasn't put in the body of the bill that makes me think this. They (politicians) are obviously feeling the "heat" from the voters.

The fight is not and will not be over for awhile (if ever). But this is a great step in the correct direction. The only thing better would be if it found it's way into the trash can. Keep writing your representatives and let them know you do not support any bill that limits gun owners rights!

Honestly I think this is DOA in the house and so what we're seeing in the senate is simply them trying to score political points for "doing something" in the eyes of certain groups. As such by dropping the AWB portion of the package it helps to get votes from people who otherwise wouldn't support the package, and then submitting an amendment to add in the AWB again works to score political points by allowing those who want an AWB to be able to show such support without it actually killing the chances of the package passing the senate (since the amendment is not likely to pass which allows "moderate" democrats to still potentially vote for the overall package). Another thing is that amendments have the potential to not draw as much scrutiny/backlash as a base bill as they are more likely to be able to slide under-the-radar until it's too late (not that I think that would happen here, but in general).