Thread: "assault weapons ban" bill is dead. Long live Liberty

"assault weapons ban" bill is dead. Long live Liberty

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013...s-ban-gop-dead

After a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Monday, a frustrated Feinstein said she learned that the bill she sponsored — which bans 157 different models of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines — wouldn’t be part of a Democratic gun bill to be offered on the Senate floor. Instead, it can be offered as an amendment. But its exclusion from the package makes what was already an uphill battle an almost certain defeat.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/03/1...nate-gun-bill/
    “My understanding is it will not be [part of the base bill],” Feinstein said. “It will be separate.”

Asked if she were concerned about the decision, Feinstein paused and said, “Sure. I would like to [see the bill moved], but the leader has decided not to do it.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...aning-support/
    The leader of the Democrat-controlled Senate on Tuesday dropped a proposed assault weapons ban from the chamber’s gun-control package – dealing a blow to supporters of the ban, though it could still come up for a vote.
    The sponsor of the measure, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., revealed that Reid told her the proposed ban would not be in the initial package. Feinstein said she's "disappointed" with the decision, and is expected to nevertheless offer it as an amendment.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 03-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

It's good that it's dead, but it was never intended to pass. Mind you if they had succeeded, that would have been a bonus for them; but now that they have "compromised", republicans will be expected to do so as well, and they have successfully framed the discussion such that compromise will probably involve universal background checks or other such foolishness.

Re: "assault weapons ban" bill is dead. Long live Liberty

Banning the production of new guns that "look scary" while exempting others that look "equally scary?" I really would be laughing at how ridiculous this is if she and all he other antis didn't take this so seriously.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by thewise1 View Post
    It's good that it's dead, but it was never intended to pass. Mind you if they had succeeded, that would have been a bonus for them; but now that they have "compromised", republicans will be expected to do so as well, and they have successfully framed the discussion such that compromise will probably involve universal background checks or other such foolishness.
    +1
    Mind you, probably some of them were hoping by some miracle it would pass, but they probably weren't expecting it to.

They are just throwing everything they can at the wall and hoping that they'll get some of to stick in the name of "compromise."

Universal background checks have always been the fight we need to win (this time around).

If they succeed there, the 2nd amendment is worthless as a deterrent to tyranny. All some would-be tyrant needs to be inspired is a nice registry of all gun owners.

Make no mistake, universal background checks are a necessary prerequisite to universal registration, and are the camel's nose in the tent towards this aim.

By removing one portion of the bill to make it more palpable does not mean the threat of gun restrictions are over.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    By removing one portion of the bill to make it more palpable does not mean the threat of gun restrictions are over.
    This is Truth!! Do not sit on your laurels. Continue to call, write, email, visit, your "representatives". Tell them what YOU want.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is Truth!! Do not sit on your laurels. Continue to call, write, email, visit, your "representatives". Tell them what YOU want.
    That's right, it's not over. We've defeated communism once.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Banned
    The monster should go hunting with Cheney ....

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    +1

How sad is it they lacked support from the people but were still pushing this.

I want no more "rule of majority", I want a constitutionally limited government that respects individual rights.......and I am fighting for that.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Considering the intentions of the authors of this bill, I think it is quite possible that this is what they intended all along. Do NOT drop your guard. While yes, an all out AWB has been effectively stopped - this time - they may try to sneak something through as an amendment.

Exclamation Good news with a Caveat!!

Feinstien can still introduce her bans as an amendment to the bill as it is....
    BE DILIGENT THIS IS NOT OVER YET!!!

But without these assault weapons, how are we supposed to legally hunt humans

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    But without these assault weapons, how are we supposed to legally hunt humans
    I think you mean: tyrants, communists, fascists, traitors (treason), terrorists, invaders, puppets, ... the list goes on and on. I know you were being sarcastic, but I don't think you should have used the word 'humans', it's degrading to most humans to relate them to what you intended to imply
    Last edited by motoxmann; 03-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by thewise1 View Post
    I AM 100% positive it would have passed, THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED US IS THE 2014 RE-ELECTIONS. The republican are to be held in the same regard as these progressives, they are to never be trusted. What you can be sure of is this, it is not if, it is when. If they know they can get away with anything they pass they will do it every time. Even that does not scare them anymore, they are going for broke. They receive benefits for life and a paycheck for life.
    Last edited by zack991; 03-20-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    (snip)I think you mean: tyrants, communists, fascists, traitors (treason), terrorists, invaders, puppets,
    Couldn't we have them declared as varmints, that would eliminate the need for a hunting licensing; however, I would be willing to purchase a license.
    Last edited by Haunter; 03-21-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: $&^& iPhone auot-correct

I think you mean: tyrants, communists, fascists, traitors (treason), terrorists, invaders, puppets, ... the list goes on and on. I know you were being sarcastic, but I don't think you should have used the word 'humans', it's degrading to most humans to relate them to what you intended to imply
    It was in reference to a quote from Feinstein herself. She said it was "legal to hunt humans."
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

The bill may be "dead"...

but there is still the threat of it resurfacing as an amendment. Even if the bill is "dead", the idea is not. Quite often, bills are rushed through without thorough debate (or reading...many bills are fairly long reads) and these things can be tacked on as amendments, with very few people catching them. A ban on magazines that are over 5 rounds can easily be passed by tacking it as an amendment to a bill that would otherwise be harmless or totally unrelated to guns.

He was referring to an earlier Fienstien quote of how humans are hunted... I forget the context...

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I AM 100% positive it would have passed, THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED US IS THE 2014 RE-ELECTIONS. The republican are to be held in the same regard as these progressives, they are to never be trusted. What you can be sure of is this, it is not if, it is when. If they know they can get away with anything they pass they will do it every time. Even that does not scare them anymore, they are going for broke. They receive benefits for life and a paycheck for life.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I don't look at Republicans as saviors or anything. Still, on this issue, they are more likely to be our allies because of the reasons you mentioned.