• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry issues for those with disabilities such as retention

WalkingWolf

I myself have a bad ticker, it means I cannot hold out long in a fight(short winded). I get around it fine by not letting people get close, and carrying a bug as well as a knife, and sometimes a walking stick. It depends on how I feel that day whether I take the stick or not. I realize that some people have other issues, such as wheel chairs or missing limbs. I commented a day or so ago about a shooter I saw at the range years ago shooting with only one hand, he did very well at reloading his 1911 with his disability.

How do you cope with your disability open carrying, whether it be equipment or tactics?

All replies are welcome! :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Pretty much the same as you, except that I cannot go >200 feet without running out of air. And if my heart rate goes up into the fightorflight zone I am automatically going to get zapped to keep me from going into v-tach (the one that kills you DRT).

A lot of my tactics revolve around the "3 stupids" rule. Trying to stay aware of who is near me and what they are doing, without looking like a paranoid freak. Travelling in a wheelchair (OK, powerchair) makes retention that much easier - someone is going to need really skinny arms to get to my gun.:D

For folks like us, the biggest thing to deal with is that Rules of Engagement are ging to be quite different than those for most of the rest of the world. Force disparity for me can mean a 5-year old. What is imminent danger for me may be transitioning from Conditiuon Yellow to Condition Orange for the rest of you. I forget the legalese for it, but the BGs are going to have to take us as they find us. There is no requirement that we inform them of our disabilities or the different ROE we operate under.

While mounting a defense of self defence may be a bit more involved for us, it also may be easier based on the "sympathy vote" - unless we get accused of having gone out using our disability as an excuse to waste some poor innocent young man on his way home from choir practice.

The biggest thing for me is to be able to practice when I'm in the chair. That old saying of "run what ya brung" gets a bit more complicated.

stay safe.

HeroHog

Me:
speedyswheels.jpg

Severe back and knee issues plus arthritis here. Note the openly carried 9mm where I can get to it to protect/use it in the image above. I carry it everywhere I legally can. I really don't have much to add to Skid's advice. Stay aware and keep yer head on a swivel an if yer spidey senses tingle, TRUST THEM and GTFOOD (Get The Family Out Of Dodge).

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees. I did have a total knee replacement last October 2nd (right knee) but the left knee is still virgin. On January 2nd, a previously unknown condition surfaced which is VERY debilitating... much more so that my knees (knee now). I have developed LSS (Lumbar Spinal Stenosis) which is incredibly painful and limiting on where I can go and what I can do. I go in for surgery next week for this (a procedure called MILD). This surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure and if it works, I will know almost immediately.

What this means for me is, like skid noted, I am at a distinct disadvantage in that I cannot escape a bad situation and am more of a prime target than, say, a man half my age, or even myself seven years ago. So when I am around others in a checkout line for example, I position myself in such a manner that my sidearm is more protected. I am very aware of my surroundings and avoid situations where I could be suddenly compacted with a horde of people up close and personal. My wallet finds a home in one of my front pockets or an interior jacket pocket and my right forearm and elbow stays in contact, as much as they can, with my sidearm.

Best thing for people like us is to avoid any situations where we can be compressed by other people, bodies close, or where a lot is going on in rapid action (subways, buses, movie theaters during prime time, shopping crowds, etc come to mind).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Best thing for people like us is to avoid any situations where we can be compressed by other people, bodies close, or where a lot is going on in rapid action (subways, buses, movie theaters during prime time, shopping crowds, etc come to mind).

Yes, the "three Stupids" do not apply just to things youngsters do with alcohol, fast cars, or faster women. (Am I dating myself with the use of those expressions?:D)

stay safe.

Red Dawg

People with disabilities are a great reason OC is better than CC...Out and easy to get to if needed....

HeroHog, I was looking for the handgun "scabbord" on the side of your chair... :) All in black made you very tacticool... No offense sir, being a fun, smarty...