• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Train Like You Fight - But Where & With Who?

anmut

While I was buying preference points for bear hunting for my son & I at Fleet Farm I noticed that they had some info on CC courses at the register. I wrote down the web address, www.equip2conceal.com, and when I got home I checked it out. I was interested in what they called a "Level 2" course for people to gain more skills at using a pistol in self defense.

So according to their website, the Level 2 class is four hours long and you only need 100 rounds of ammo for range time. Seriously?! I'll put more down range in an afternoon than that. And what do you get for the $175?

We will spend a short time reviewing not just safety, but grip, dominant eye, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze, breath control, and follow through. All of these fundamentals will be utilized to successfully complete the course.

1. Pistol Shooting Fundamentals Review
2. Opportunity to Develop Skills on a live firing range
3. Take Home Score Sheet for each drill
4. Four challenging drills with four caliber firearms
5. Help the shooter master the methods of accurate shooting
6. Enhance your enjoyment for shooting
7. Confidence to continue building on skills with practice

So it pretty much sounds like a big rip off to me, someone that considers himself a fair shooter already. But I'm still interested in expanding my knowledge and training - but where is this available in Wisconsin and is any of it worth the money?

Lephi

It sounds like a basic marksmanship course.

There are many more advanced classes available from trainers all over the country. I am a fan of Suarez International myself, but good training cost in both time and money but its worth it, you really have no idea how much you don't know till someone shows you.

protias

IIRC, Equip 2 Conceal is out of FL. I've been saying since they showed their faces here they are a poor group to get "training" from as they are pretty basic, plus they don't know the WI law despite giving a WI specific course.

MKEgal

I've heard many comments about the E2C company/classes, none of them good.
In fact, people who have paid for their 'instruction', then taken the WCI class, say that the WCI information is far superior, more in-depth, more useful, and true.
The E2C people teach FL laws, which in some cases are completely opposite of WI law. I suspect they are the source of much of the "you can't carry openly" myth.

I am very disappointed that FF chose to contract with E2C, rather than a WI organization such as WI Carry (offering free classes with WI information that's true), or allowing local instructors to advertise & conduct classes in their stores, or even staying neutral & not taking ads from anyone.

MKEgal

Troll said:
What was the error in law?
Where the E2C person claimed that his training would definitely meet WI requirements, even though those hadn't been set by the DOJ yet. (And those were changed very shortly after being published, because they didn't meet the law.)

What did "out of Florida" mean when E2C apparently lived in Wausau?
From his first post 25AUG11 7:28PM:
Equip2ConcealInst
Join Date Aug 2011
Location Florida

And the information hasn't changed since then.
The company is based in FL.

Firearms Iinstuctor

A lot depends on ones skill level if the instruction is worth the costs. A good instructor can be a big help to people who need it.

Personally I talk with my clients and see where their skill level is and develop training to improve on that.

Some one who is a good firearms handler and shooter shouldn't need a a basic course. But there are people who could very well benifit from learning proper firearms skills even thou they have been shooting a while.

If any one is interested in advanced firearms training feel free to PM me and we can converse on what you need to improve your skill levels.

With 33 plus years of firearms and tactical training, instuctor certificates in rifle,patrol rifle,police shotgun and hangun.

I am able to offer personalized training from very basic to advanced skills.

OC for ME

Who in Wisconsin fights with handguns?

What is the duration of the "typical" handgun "employment", what distance(s) are these employments conducted, what is the average age of the citizen who employs his handgun?

Where does the typical handgun employment take place?

When does the typical handgun employment take place?

Why does the typical handgun employment take place?

Interceptor_Knight

E2C came to the forum and was promptly corrected from all his errors, but refused to listen. It is sad when us "dumb" people know more about the law than a trainer who refuses to learn it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Firearms-Group-Advertising-Classes-In-Wausau
The biggest thing I saw in that thread was people claiming that the $99 spent on that course was a waste of money and that free internet advice was better than paying for a formal class. I didn't see any "errors" posted by E2C.....

Residency requirementa are a common legal requirement all over the US, is there one in Wisconsin?
There is no requirement that an instructor be a WI resident or that the class even take place in WI. The class must simply be a firearm safety or training class. There is not even a requirement to have any mention of WI law as part of the Curriculum.
Where the E2C person claimed that his training would definitely meet WI requirements, even though those hadn't been set by the DOJ yet. (And those were changed very shortly after being published, because they didn't meet the law.) .
Being a NRA Certified Instructor, ANY Firearms Safety OR Training Course he provides currently meets the Statutory Requirement. The 4 hour minimum never stuck. * *The DOJ's dream list would change this, but that is to be seen.

jpm84092

Yellow Cat

The Yellow Cat will be returning to Southeastern Wisconsin for a family reunion over the last weekend in June. Class times and schedules will be posted as the time approaches, but at a minimum I will be offering the Utah CFP course. Any former students may attend as a refresher for free.

Yellow Cat Out -

www.yellowcatpersonaldefense.com

OkSlim

While I was buying preference points for bear hunting for my son & I at Fleet Farm I noticed that they had some info on CC courses at the register. I wrote down the web address, www.equip2conceal.com, and when I got home I checked it out. I was interested in what they called a "Level 2" course for people to gain more skills at using a pistol in self defense.

So according to their website, the Level 2 class is four hours long and you only need 100 rounds of ammo for range time. Seriously?! I'll put more down range in an afternoon than that. And what do you get for the $175?

We will spend a short time reviewing not just safety, but grip, dominant eye, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze, breath control, and follow through. All of these fundamentals will be utilized to successfully complete the course.

1. Pistol Shooting Fundamentals Review
2. Opportunity to Develop Skills on a live firing range
3. Take Home Score Sheet for each drill
4. Four challenging drills with four caliber firearms
5. Help the shooter master the methods of accurate shooting
6. Enhance your enjoyment for shooting
7. Confidence to continue building on skills with practice

So it pretty much sounds like a big rip off to me, someone that considers himself a fair shooter already. But I'm still interested in expanding my knowledge and training - but where is this available in Wisconsin and is any of it worth the money?

I have a college degree so a remedial reading course for me isn't worth the money.

To someone with problems reading a book, a remedial reading class probably has value.