Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: New open carrier saying hey from lex

  1. #1
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83

    Cool New open carrier saying hey from lex

    Just wanted to say Hey! I just purchased my first handgun and plan to soon Open Carry whilst i await my CDW. I bought a Springfield xdm 3.8 40 compact and love it!

    I have lurked the past few days reading almost every post made in the first 3 pages here in the kentucky forums and have learned a lot from the stories!

    If anyone has any advice for a new OC'er on carrying / locations to avoid here in town ( not already posted in the first few pages) how to act to local lex LEO when / if approached etc!

    I have read the laws ( or lack of in regards of open carrying i may say ) and im familiar enough i believe to abide by them in all the general terms of what is concealed / open and more.

    I plan to open carry my empty paddle holster that came with my handgun BEFORE i open carry it occupied with the handgun. I think doing this first may help me with the first "jitters" of wanting to always check and make sure its there and so forth to avoid any alarming movements that may occur in doing so. This may also give me a feel and used to either the positive or negative feedback i may receive in terms of looks of maybe approaching. This also i believe will be the holster i use for now to open carry. It has a retention on it and i have worn it occupied with the firearm around my home in which case it never even attempted to budge lose. I even attempted (unloaded / unchambered) turning the holster upside down over my bed and forcing it to drop out in which case it never did, so it seems to be a good option to use when open carrying on the side.

    Would anyone advise against doing that? both using the stock holster for actual carry and open carrying an empty holster first. If so please let me know and why.

    again main goal was to say hey and hope to link up and meet up with some fellow open carry kentuckians soon!

  2. #2
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    Just wanted to say Hey! I just purchased my first handgun and plan to soon Open Carry whilst i await my CDW. I bought a Springfield xdm 3.8 40 compact and love it!
    Welcome. Just curious why you are waiting for your CCDW before you open carry?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  3. #3
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Welcome. Just curious why you are waiting for your CCDW before you open carry?
    Re-read what was said. It'll answer you own question.

    It don't have its concealed carry permit so it is going to OC while it is waiting for it.
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 03-21-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Neutered my sentence
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    @gutshot thanks a lot for the advice and the calming mention of "no one will notice its all in your head" haha i kinda figured that would be the case! Any other tips for places to avoid that you have when open carrying due to bad experiences you can think of offhand? Any Gas Stations etc?


    @self preservation yes what 09jisaac confirmed I will be open carrying while i WAIT for my CCDW to come in. sorry for the confusion.

    @09jisaac "He" is preferred! however my wife will soon be moving on to the whole guns thing so maybe she will be on here a time or two?!

    I should also mention I fired about 40 rounds today ( shot for the first time with my new handgun) and i loved it. Going to have to get used to the small grip but that comes with practice but overall felt and fired great!

    Big thanks again for the feedback and advice as always please let me know if you think a new carrier should know!

  5. #5
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Welcome. Just curious why you are waiting for your CCDW before you open carry?
    I really need to stop trying to read and respond to this stuff in between my down time.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  6. #6
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    @gutshot thanks a lot for the advice and the calming mention of "no one will notice its all in your head" haha i kinda figured that would be the case! Any other tips for places to avoid that you have when open carrying due to bad experiences you can think of offhand? Any Gas Stations etc?


    @self preservation yes what 09jisaac confirmed I will be open carrying while i WAIT for my CCDW to come in. sorry for the confusion.

    @09jisaac "He" is preferred! however my wife will soon be moving on to the whole guns thing so maybe she will be on here a time or two?!

    I should also mention I fired about 40 rounds today ( shot for the first time with my new handgun) and i loved it. Going to have to get used to the small grip but that comes with practice but overall felt and fired great!

    Big thanks again for the feedback and advice as always please let me know if you think a new carrier should know!
    My fault, not yours. I got in a hurry.................again. But once again, welcome to OCDO.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    How's Stan and Xev doing ?


    Welcome !
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    @09jisaac "He" is preferred! however my wife will soon be moving on to the whole guns thing so maybe she will be on here a time or two?!
    I assumed you are "he" but I went back to skimmed your OP and I didn't see anything to distinguish you as a "he". I thought maybe if you had a uterus and/or other lady parts you wouldn't appreciate being called a "he". So I did the always correct and politically correct he/she. I'll just call you "IT" from now on.

    Is that OK with IT?

    If your wife joins I'll call her "ITs".

    Welcome to the forums.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Cottonbaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    46

    Welcome to the forum LEX..

    I'll echo what gutshot said...you'll want to upgrade that holster to one with some good retention. I use the Uncle Mike's Reflex holster which offers excellent retention but an easy draw by twisting the grip slightly toward your body. You'd need a size 27 for your XD and their available on Amazon for a decent price.

    I can't speak about Lexington as I've only OCed in Louisville but I have had no trouble. You should send an IM to liberty4ever. He's in your AO and is the "go to" resource on the ins and outs of OC in the Lexington area.

    Go to handgunlaw.us and click Kentucky on the map to download their excellent .PDF of gun laws in KY. Be very familiar with these but don't rely on just this document. Click the embedded links in the .PDF to read the actual laws yourself. When you go out don't look grubby. Dress nicely and just be nice to folks you encounter. A sincere smile and "please" and "thank you" go a long way toward helping others feel more comfortable. Remember, you aren't just exercising you're rights, you're an ambassador for the RKBA/OC movement. The more people see us, the more OC and firearms in general will gain acceptance by others.
    Last edited by Cottonbaler; 03-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonbaler View Post
    I'll echo what gutshot said...you'll want to upgrade that holster to one with some good retention. I use the Uncle Mike's Reflex holster which offers excellent retention but an easy draw by twisting the grip slightly toward your body. You'd need a size 27 for your XD and their available on Amazon for a decent price.

    I can't speak about Lexington as I've only OCed in Louisville but I have had no trouble. You should send an IM to liberty4ever. He's in your AO and is the "go to" resource on the ins and outs of OC in the Lexington area.

    Go to handgunlaw.us and click Kentucky on the map to download their excellent .PDF of gun laws in KY. Be very familiar with these but don't rely on just this document. Click the embedded links in the .PDF to read the actual laws yourself. When you go out don't look grubby. Dress nicely and just be nice to folks you encounter. A sincere smile and "please" and "thank you" go a long way toward helping others feel more comfortable. Remember, you aren't just exercising you're rights, you're an ambassador for the RKBA/OC movement. The more people see us, the more OC and firearms in general will gain acceptance by others.
    Great reply. Thanks very much for the recommendation on the holster for only $30 shipped with prime that holster seems perfect. I will be ordering this first thing after work. Do you think since my XDM is the compact version I would still need to go with the listed for an XDM? ( 27)

    Very glad to hear you have had nothing but good whilst OC'ing in the louisville area I have several friends and family there in which I would love to be able to OC knowing the city is friendly to it.

    I will send him a message and introduce myself and see what he has to offer as advise! I have that PDF saved on my phone and i have printed out a document that i have reviewed.

    It seems thoe ofc any documents you come across is for concealed carry which i can only think that is due to KY being such an open carry state?

    again many thanks for the reply and much kudo for the holster recommendation!

    -Mike
    Last edited by LEX_XDM40compact; 03-24-2013 at 11:51 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    So, have you started OCing yet?

    After your first time you'll realize that it is exactly like doing your normal day-to-day, except now you have a firearm.

    Everything seems to be a bit more adventurous though if you wear your tac vest with a sweet drop leg holster.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    So, have you started OCing yet?

    After your first time you'll realize that it is exactly like doing your normal day-to-day, except now you have a firearm.

    Everything seems to be a bit more adventurous though if you wear your tac vest with a sweet drop leg holster.
    I have to admit sadly i have not open carried yet, My first mention was going to be when i had to run into the gas station but as i walked to the door i noticed a gun sign so i walked back to the truck and placed it back in the glove box. Only to find out after a closer look it was labeled for "concealed weapon" ( shell station) so i beat myself up pretty bad about it seeing I was dressed in a very nice button up tux in with some 5.11 khakis Oh well better luck next time?

    I plan this week when I go grocery I believe Tuesday(?) any advice for the first time carry would be great lol. ill oc @ krogers with my wife Having her around im sure will ease the worry and looks i may or may not get. For me im not worried about what people will think and the reaction i just honestly dont want to "alert" anyone in fear. Again im simply OC'ing or better yet want to OC so my newly purchased gun i purchased to carry to protect me and my family doesnt just sit @ home until my CCDW arrives. ( stories of a few months wait?! )

    As for the tac vest and drop leg holster im still awaiting my body armour plates and gas mask's to come in first! ( only kidding :O)

    -Mike

  13. #13
    Regular Member Liberty4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    330
    Hi Mike!

    Welcome to OCDO!

    We're a bit overdue for an open carry event in Lexington. I adopted two miles of Richmond Road (starting at New Circle Rd and outward from there) and we do Adopt-A-Highway Open Carry litter pickups. I've been waiting for decent weather to schedule one for a Saturday afternoon - probably in a couple of weeks. When it's a bit warmer, we'll also have another Open Carry Picnic in Jacobson Park, probably in May. The goal of both of these is mostly to educate people in the most anti-gun part of the otherwise pro-gun commonwealth of Kentucky, but it's also fun to get together and visit with like minded people. I'll post on OCDO when there's an event. If anyone is interested in a push notification straight to your inbox to avoid missing the post on OCDO, feel free to send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the no-spam gun rights notification list. Many of you are already on my email list and don't need to sign up again. You could also sign up to the Kentucky Open Carry Meetup. It's not a very active group. All of the good discussion is here on OCDO, but it is a way to get a quick email about Kentucky gun bills that need calls to the legislature when they're in session, and the occasional gun rights event. I get too busy and miss stuff that's posted on OCDO too often.

    As for businesses where you are welcome to openly carry and are not welcome to openly carry a firearm.... A friend was open carrying in the seat next to me at the Regal Cinema in Hamburg Pavilion. The manager called the police, who interrupted the movie to evict my friend. Apparently, they have a no guns policy. There is also a story about a book store in town that called the police because a guy was openly carrying while reading in the cafe. He looked up and there were a bunch of police officers. From the account that I read, if they had a no gun policy, that matter could have been handled a lot better. Starbucks has a national policy that their stores follow local laws. If open carry is legal, then the store allows it. That seems like a good policy. Most businesses don't seem to mind. I'd look for the sign on my way in the door. If I didn't see it, I'd assume it's OK to carry openly or concealed. If I did see the sign, I'd take my business elsewhere, and tell them why if it was convenient without making a scene or being a jerk about it.

    In general, there is a website with a map and people can enter pins with notes to describe pro-gun and anti-gun businesses. It's kind of interesting to browse, although it's far from a conclusive list.

    http://friendorfoe.us

    People key much more on the person than a firearm they may be carrying, and that's as it should be. Other than a few phobic nut cases, if you act calm, you won't spook anybody. On the flip side, if you're nervous and act like you're doing something you shouldn't and hoping you won't get caught, people will respond accordingly.

    If the open holster works for you, have at it! When I started carrying a concealed handgun, I had my concerns. That's not something where "it should probably be OK" is acceptable. I carried with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber but cocked for a couple of weeks until I convinced myself that there wouldn't be any negligent discharges and it really was the nonevent as others had said.

    On the other hand, I was in an aisle seat in the gallery overlooking the Kentucky House of Representatives a couple of years ago, and a friend of mine was kneeling in the aisle talking to me before the session started. He had removed his handgun and locked it in his truck to avoid the ridiculous and time wasting security theater at the entrance to the Capitol Building. One of the KSP officers saw his empty holster and overreacted. This was the day after someone else had open carried in the gallery and some woman was spooked by it, and even though he calmly explained that she had no need to be afraid and his openly carried firearm was completely legal, she contacted the KSP, and the story got back to some of the legislators, who overreacted. Later in the legislative session the day my friend and I were there, Louisville representative Mary Lou Marzian made some ridiculous comments about the viewing gallery becoming a shooting gallery. Anyway, a KSP officer came up behind my friend and grabbed him and jerked him to his feet. My friend was shocked to say the least, and instinctively bellowed, "Get your hands off of me!" When he realized it was a police officer, he calmed down a bit, but was still miffed to have been treated in this manner. They grabbed him, physically escorted him off the gallery and talked to him... all over an empty holster!

    In general, this KSP behavior is very rare, and I doubt you'll have any problems with the Lexington police. There have been some stories of Lexington police telling people who are openly carrying a firearm that they're not allowed to do that in Fayette County, and if they want to be armed they need to get a CCDW license and carry concealed. That's not true, of course. That's never happened to me, but if it did, I'd politely refer them to KRS 65.870 (no local firearms ordinances). I'd also try to record the conversation if I could. It might be useful later if it ever develops into a game of He Said, She Said. But again, I don't think you'll have any problems. Don't act goofy and people will assume everything is copacetic.

    Sometimes, when openly carrying in Lexington, someone might ask if you're an undercover or off duty police officer. Many people, particularly in Lexington, don't have a clue about open carry. Many people who haven't been exposed to firearms assume that only police and criminals are armed, and you look like an OK guy and not a criminal, therefore you're probably a police officer. I'd take that as an opportunity to explain open carry. As others have said, the situation is uncommon enough today that you're an ambassador for open carry.
    Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
    This is your final SHTF warning.

  14. #14
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    @Liberty4Ever

    I knew it was a right idea to ask for your opinion and advice! You truly are 'THE' man!

    As for a meet up goes I am 100% down for both clean up and the picnic at the park. I browsed and came across your video on YouTube of the one you have posted there looks like it was very successful and better yet fun and educating to those who aren't aware of our laws and rights. I would love to be included in the email list for those updates and any other KY related gun updates you may have, I will send you a message (again) including my email!

    Very good to note Regal, I love going to see movies and with the handful around town I normally just pick whichever one has the best time for a showing that suits me which sometimes includes Regal. I will now adjust accordingly and avoid them totally based on the event that happened with your friend. No $25 for a small popcorn and coke from me! I am curious as to which book store, My wife and I really enjoy used book stores here in town Ill make sure I take a note next time we go into one ( by then I hope im 'confident' enough to be carrying) if they have any signs or issues.

    Friends or Foe seems like a really good idea for a website. I mention "idea" due to like you mentioned it not being a very conclusive list. However it does make for a very good reference point and I will use my knowledge I learn from carrying to update it accordingly!

    Yeah the mention of acting nervous is the worry I had when I first hinted on the option to open carry. ie: always checking my gun to make sure its there wanting to "touch" it all the newbie gitters that may have occurred. However just simply carrying around home I have seem to have adapted well in terms of noticing and worrying about it. ( of course im aware at all times I have it on me its just as you mentioned second nature)

    I so far have been carrying ( around the house and in the glove box of my truck so far ) loaded without one in the chamber. I believe like you did once im 100% confident in my own judgement and carrying knowledge I will adjust accordingly and carry loaded and ready for protection.

    The jacking for carrying an empty holster to me is just baffling but eh its the world we live in.

    Thank you for noting KRS 65.870 I will keep this noted in my head in case I ever am told or approached by Lexington ( or any KY ) LEO in the manner of "you are not allowed to carry blah blah bleh". I found a very very nice and lightweight app for my phone that truly automatically uploads my records to Dropbox in case my phone is ever "taken" or "lost" whilst or after recording.

    I believe if i am ever approached by a citizen I will polity of course educate them if need on the law and the reasons for my carrying. My honest reason and many have said it for wanting to carry is I rather have my firearm and never need to use it then need to use it and not have it. I personally always have dressed ' business casual' khakis / jeans and a button up shirt tucked in and boots. I'm not sure if the fact I may be just noted as an off-duty police officer is a good or bad thing but ofc ill take whatever I can to be able to just simply be on with my business without having to alert or alarm anyone elses day!

    I believe ill do all good for our right and movement on Open Carry here in lexington. Only time will tell and im very glad to have a place like OCDO to share my experiences I come across along with maybe helpful insight for others!

  15. #15
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    As for the tac vest and drop leg holster im still awaiting my body armour plates and gas mask's to come in first! ( only kidding :O)

    -Mike
    I have a spare set of plates but they're my "dress up" plates. I would loan them to you but I just don't know how well you would look with a carrier designed to look like a tux.


    Advice? Don't shoot anyone who don't need shooting.
    Don't handle your gun. If you feel the need to keep it safe (crowds) lay your elbow on it and/or turn it away from them. You can talk about it, you can show it off, just don't reach for it. Unless you need to shoot someone.
    Don't carry a Springfield. All of us "Operators" carry the M&P VTAC because they're more tactical.
    Load tracers every 3rd cartridge (fifth if using something like a mini gun), if you're shooting long distances you cannot use your tracers for aiming purposes as they lose weight and fall faster, aim low with them.

    Go ahead and carry, you'll be fine. I was nervous my first time too. Like was said though, most people will never notice. Most who do will never say anything to you and only a few would cause any type of problem.

    Remember, if they confront you because your gun "scares" them, they're not scared.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  16. #16
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I have a spare set of plates but they're my "dress up" plates. I would loan them to you but I just don't know how well you would look with a carrier designed to look like a tux.


    Advice? Don't shoot anyone who don't need shooting.
    Don't handle your gun. If you feel the need to keep it safe (crowds) lay your elbow on it and/or turn it away from them. You can talk about it, you can show it off, just don't reach for it. Unless you need to shoot someone.
    Don't carry a Springfield. All of us "Operators" carry the M&P VTAC because they're more tactical.
    Load tracers every 3rd cartridge (fifth if using something like a mini gun), if you're shooting long distances you cannot use your tracers for aiming purposes as they lose weight and fall faster, aim low with them.

    Go ahead and carry, you'll be fine. I was nervous my first time too. Like was said though, most people will never notice. Most who do will never say anything to you and only a few would cause any type of problem.

    Remember, if they confront you because your gun "scares" them, they're not scared.
    Open carrying by all means i think should be taken with a very serious manner however i will admit this post made me laugh. Hard. And with that good sense of humor and very lightly just saying just get out and carry it will be fine gesture i want to say thanks. This post along with the others very very helpful advice and comments have helped ALOT! I look forward to helping our approach in full awareness of self preservation by rights. And i look forward to hopefully one day meeting up with all my fellow kentuckians!

    btw a quick note while looking up good voice recorders that would work good with my android based smart phone i came across "sky recorder" this thing is simply amazing! It features true 100% automatic sync to your dropbox account ( which is free) ( needed based on the times where someones phone has been improperly impounded etc you would still have very quick access to the recording) records amazing quailty, works while phone screen is off and any other feature we carriers may need if we encounter that may deem us to record! Check it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...recorder&hl=en figured i would pass it along as its the only one i found with true automatic sync and a very very simple UI which is very lightweight!
    Last edited by LEX_XDM40compact; 03-25-2013 at 06:50 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    I hope you never need a recorder or any of those features if you do. It was suggested to me to always carry a recorder but I thought rural Louisa would never give me any problems. I was wrong and carry a recorder with me everywhere now.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I hope you never need a recorder or any of those features if you do. It was suggested to me to always carry a recorder but I thought rural Louisa would never give me any problems. I was wrong and carry a recorder with me everywhere now.
    see the one time you needed it you didnt have it! therefore i shall be ready for action if the need every occurs!

  19. #19
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    I CARRIED! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    Went to pick up some burgers today for dinner from krogers. I am not 100% sure yet but everything went very well. No crazy looks that i noticed and no one said anything. However I am only worried about i am certain when i walked in about 5 check out lanes where open. When it was time for me to check out ~10 mins later every check out but ONE had been roped off for "Closure" with people in front of the rope meaning they where checking out and in line when they closed.

    Again i cant tell it may be all in my head and it was an 8 o clock shift change or something but having all actual lanes close with a person but ONE and that one being an express check out seemed a bit fishy to me. Either way my nerves that where going crazy on my drive there are now eased. Regardless of if they handled it by closing lanes with actual people or not im fine with it just bothersome.

    Thoughts on the lane closure?!

  20. #20
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    What purpose would the closures serve?
    To funnel the guy into a single register. That register could be purposely low on cash so if OP did rob the place he only could make out with a small amount of money.

    But I do have to agree with you, it probably had nothing to do with OP.


    OP, if they were that scared the cops would have been called and the store evacuated. I told you how easy it was to carry. Soon your firearm would just be something else you grab before you leave the house.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  21. #21
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Ignore it. Most likely not related to you in any way. Even if it was, so what? No harm, no foul.

    I see lane closures with people still in line all the time. What purpose would the closures serve?

    as @09jisaac mentioned the only thing i could think of was the same. To filter it down to one lane. without a huge noticeable thing. Just seemed funny the whole time im shopping up and down a few aisles i noticed at least 3 other lanes open but when i got to the end of my trip and came up the last lane magically only one open. but hey again the nice older lady who checked me out must have been a badass to nominate herself as the one who may get robbed?!

    I almost went to the customer service counter (whilst like 20 employee seemed to be gathered) and asked for a lottery ticket or something just because?! But then I realized like mentioned if this was their action for me carrying so what? no harm no foul just carry on with my business!

    I agree that if the store itself had any real harm or issue with it they would have contacted the proper authorities. But maybe we can have faith that they did contact them, in which they where told " Is he waving it around and scaring people" and when the kroger employee mentioned nope hes just shopping. They kindly said call back if he does?! haha we can only hope?!

    Im sure its all in my head being the first time doing something you "notice" more things etc. Thanks again everyone for the support and insight ill make sure to keep everyone updated here on any findings and my encounters!

  22. #22
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty4Ever View Post

    On the other hand, I was in an aisle seat in the gallery overlooking the Kentucky House of Representatives a couple of years ago, and a friend of mine was kneeling in the aisle talking to me before the session started. He had removed his handgun and locked it in his truck to avoid the ridiculous and time wasting security theater at the entrance to the Capitol Building. One of the KSP officers saw his empty holster and overreacted. This was the day after someone else had open carried in the gallery and some woman was spooked by it, and even though he calmly explained that she had no need to be afraid and his openly carried firearm was completely legal, she contacted the KSP, and the story got back to some of the legislators, who overreacted. Later in the legislative session the day my friend and I were there, Louisville representative Mary Lou Marzian made some ridiculous comments about the viewing gallery becoming a shooting gallery. Anyway, a KSP officer came up behind my friend and grabbed him and jerked him to his feet. My friend was shocked to say the least, and instinctively bellowed, "Get your hands off of me!" When he realized it was a police officer, he calmed down a bit, but was still miffed to have been treated in this manner. They grabbed him, physically escorted him off the gallery and talked to him... all over an empty holster!
    I would have requested to file assault charges on the officer. He had NO right to touch your friend, much less touch him in a violent manner.

    Was this situation rectified?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olive Hill, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I would have requested to file assault charges on the officer. He had NO right to touch your friend, much less touch him in a violent manner.

    Was this situation rectified?
    What KRS and charge would you have used for a touching?

  24. #24
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOverlay View Post
    What KRS and charge would you have used for a touching?
    Uh oh. A seasoned LEO picking the brain of a green LEO.

    I always hated being the new guy.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    21

    New open carrier saying hey from lex

    Just dont draw attention to yourself or your firearm. You can always tell when a person thats new to carrying because there always messing with it to get comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •