Thread: The gun debate is a culture debate

White Oak Plantation

The gun debate is a culture debate

FUQ - The last paragraph.
    When it comes to guns, the much ballyhooed red state/blue state cultural divide is real. If we want to have a productive discussion on guns we must find a way to cross this cultural divide.
    This is where Mr. Burrus gets it wrong in my view. There can be no discussion, productive or otherwise, regarding guns. Shall not be infringed is stops the discussion before it starts. Mr. Burrus needs to review the 2A and consider its meaning.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Cultural divide is real, documented in the Nineties.

The Clash of Civilizations? By Samuel P. Huntington, Summer 1993
    Article Summary and Author Biography

Full text of the original essay from Foreign Affairs 1993

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    There can be a productive discussion. It is just highly improbable.

A productive discussion would start with a gun-grabber saying, "Oh, I get it now. You guys are in charge, and we are supposed to do a little as is humanly possible to accomplish the 18 things you tasked us to do. What gun laws do we need to repeal to get back within our constitutional bounds?"