Thread: WND Opinion by David Kupelian on fundamental transformation of U.S. law enforcement

WND Opinion by David Kupelian on fundamental transformation of U.S. law enforcement

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/should-you-fear-the-police/
    “Helping someone in need.” Yes, that’s what it’s supposed to be all about, which may be why, during the tumultuous 1960s, when both stoned-out hippies and angry leftists publicly reviled the police and called them “pigs,” my favorite bumper sticker was: “IF YOU THINK COPS ARE PIGS, NEXT TIME YOU’RE IN TROUBLE, CALL A HIPPIE.”

When the 1991 Rodney King scandal involving the Los Angeles Police Department led to a media feeding frenzy over supposedly widespread “police brutality” in America, I sided with the cops. In fact, my journalistic defense of law enforcement at the time, which explored the multitude of stresses, sacrifices and challenges police work entails, was widely published in newspapers, law enforcement publications and criminology textbooks.
    Post by a proud armed hippie.

Banned

WND Opinion by David Kupelian on fundamental transformation of U.S. law enforce

I don't dislike police. I dislike certain police. To dislike all of them is bigotry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    They earned it.
    Racism, prejudice and bigotry are on the job training certificates from the school of hard knocks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I don't dislike police. I dislike certain police. To dislike all of them is bigotry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    They earned it.
    1. One cannot earn bigotry against himself. Bigotry is, by definition, irrational, and is, therefore, totally on the one being bigoted. To be bigoted against all police because of the actions of some of them is irrational.

2. If you are going to quote my posts, either quote the whole thing, or use ellipses (...) or a snip tag to indicate that you have edited it. That is the honest thing to do.

Honesty and rationality are not too much to ask for.

I distrust the profession and thus am forced to admit that I distrust all police officers. I know several individual officers, have a few cousins who are state and county cops, and even a fed (cousin). I trust them.....to a point and I have communicated this to each of them.

These "cops" that I trust have been invited into my home as family, friends, and neighbors. They have hunted my land.....for free even. Once I transition from my property to the public spaces and they are "on the clock", I extend to them slightly more deference than i do for any LEO that i do not know.

Yes, I record interactions with all of them, even my cousins, when they are on the clock, even on my own land. One rule when on my land; my rules rule or no free hunting for you.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Distrusting a system or way of doing things is not bigotry.

And cops jobs are not that dangerous....stop repeating that myth.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

WND Opinion by David Kupelian on fundamental transformation of U.S. law enforce

Distrusting all is not bigotry. It is wise.

Disliking all is bigotry.

I know many cops whom I like. I know a few that I trust. The ones I don't know, I don't trust them until I know them, but eventual trust is an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Regarding the bumper sticker quote the OP gave...I really don't need the cops. The people I interact with professionally and socially don't need them either. The U.S. is at 256/100,000, I'd be ok with maybe 25/100,000 max. In my life, I've had three encounters with the police and in each all they did was steal my $ for traveling at a safe and reasonable speed. One time they illegally searched my car.

If I wanted to exercise my right to OC they would arrest me, so that's another minus. I've never hurt or defrauded anyone, so I don't see why people need police protection (as if they could provide this anyway) from me.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.