Thread: Open Carry Holsters

Open Carry Holsters

I was looking at different holsters to wear with my spring/winter jacket. Now I normally use a Blackhawk Serpa Level II holster while carrying. With my jacket covering 80% of the holster I really don't like doing the whole, tuck my jacket on the inside of the holster and sidearm. Does anyone have any positive and useful information about holsters that are secure that are easy to wear with Jackets?

I have invested in a leg holster but I really don't want any un-needed attention, because I really think this type of holster will draw a little too many negative looks, causing a LEO convention

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	5682 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	10149
    "If you won't stand up for your rights, stand up for mine."

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." ~ William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Acdrenik View Post
    I was looking at different holsters to wear with my spring/winter jacket. Now I normally use a Blackhawk Serpa Level II holster while carrying. With my jacket covering 80% of the holster I really don't like doing the whole, tuck my jacket on the inside of the holster and sidearm. Does anyone have any positive and useful information about holsters that are secure that are easy to wear with Jackets?

I have invested in a leg holster but I really don't want any un-needed attention, because I really think this type of holster will draw a little too many negative looks, causing a LEO convention

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	5682 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	10149
    IMO you shouldn't worry about what others think, if you are legal, you are legal. And I also believe that people including LEO's would see the necessity for a drop holster in bad weather. I myself use a heavy belt to wear my holster on the outside of the coat in the winter. If weather is mildly cold I wear extra shirt and OC with the same belt. I also have a couple swivel duty holsters but have only used one of them once, but it worked fine for that day.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    IMO you shouldn't worry about what others think, if you are legal, you are legal.
    Thank you Wolf!
    "If you won't stand up for your rights, stand up for mine."

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." ~ William S. Burroughs

Side zippers. As in http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum10698.php

Any shop that does alterations ought to be able to handle this for you - beats having to buy a new jacket you do not otherwise need.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Open Carry Holsters

Or get a holster with jacket slot. Bianchi makes several.

Open Carry Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Side zippers. As in http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum10698.php

Any shop that does alterations ought to be able to handle this for you - beats having to buy a new jacket you do not otherwise need.

stay safe.
    +1 for side zippers. I had one added to one of my jackets. Cost me $20 to have it custom-fitted around my gun.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

for a good jacket if you dont mind the price I've found 5.11 jackets very nice. The jacket has the side zippers, as well as two chest pockets and a sleeve pocket, The jacket is very well made, is very warm and wont draw an added attention

The first thing I would do would be to upgrade your drop leg system. The Serpa is something I am no fan of at all, but the serpa drop leg rig is much better than your current system and you may be able to get the system without the holster attached so you can switch your current one over.

The second thing I would suggest is to bear in mind that in terms of reactions that white men tend to get while OCing, dressing to the gun is by far the most important in terms of reaction from people, cops or otherwise. While a nasty cop incident isn't too likely anymore (in michigan), there is still no reason to create an undue stir. And my experience is that an alert, polite and outgoing demeanor combined with being dressed well, either professionally or otherwise presentably for the occasion, and definitely well groomed, is paramount, and counts for much more than the type of rig you're using.

To put it in perspective, long hair and nasty beard, converse all stars, torn up blue jeans, neon framed sun glasses and an older Anthrax t shirt, that's going to create a lot more concern than someone with a fresh hair cut, well maintained facial hair if any, leather shoes or boots, black pants or minty fresh looking jeans, and a nice shirt which maybe even buttons up.

If you act nervous, or in any way incompetent, this too will have a much larger effect on reactions than holster type. Public reaction from holster type is in fact something I would suggest against considering, just make sure that the system works well for you.

I couldn't agree with michigander more. I'm pretty young still and fairly new to OC but I found cleaning up and presenting yourself in a responsible manner will go a long ways. I make sure to wear a matching clean cut outfit and shave up well. I have come across plenty of people and cops while OC'ing and no bad experiences so far. I even had a small conversation with a sheriff here while I was out and about and didn't ask for my ID or even about the firearm. I think as long as your not grubby looking and running around with a bad attitude you should be fine. The most negative you will see is the guys on youtube filming themselves OC'ing just looking for a LEO encounter or a negative response from someone. That just shines a bad light on us. And as far as the holster goes it will have some effect on your appearance. I find I get less looks using my bianchi leather holster than my serpa or stock paddle holster. Don't know why but whatever. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_MTN40 View Post
    I couldn't agree with michigander more. I'm pretty young still and fairly new to OC but I found cleaning up and presenting yourself in a responsible manner will go a long ways. I make sure to wear a matching clean cut outfit and shave up well. I have come across plenty of people and cops while OC'ing and no bad experiences so far. I even had a small conversation with a sheriff here while I was out and about and didn't ask for my ID or even about the firearm. I think as long as your not grubby looking and running around with a bad attitude you should be fine. The most negative you will see is the guys on youtube filming themselves OC'ing just looking for a LEO encounter or a negative response from someone. That just shines a bad light on us. And as far as the holster goes it will have some effect on your appearance. I find I get less looks using my bianchi leather holster than my serpa or stock paddle holster. Don't know why but whatever. Just my two cents.
    Don't forget your OC badge clipped on your belt, maybe a polo shirt, and dockers with some tacticool boots.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

That's right: one must dress for the gun and around the gun.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine