Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Open Carry Sarpy/Douglas County

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    1

    Open Carry Sarpy/Douglas County

    Looking for like minded people to get together to go to the ranges here in Sarpy County.
    Also trying to get a group to start open carrying in public places. (Think its safer for the carriers to go in numbers, espc. when LEO show up.)

    Anthony - Papillion, NE
    Glock 22 Gen4

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Papillion
    Posts
    1

    Lightbulb You right

    I was stopped in Papillion at the Hy-vee for carrying open and I even did my homework on it and I still was told to take my fire arm and put it In my car. I'm up for open carrying in a group and I'm sure I've got a few friends that'll come with.
    Last edited by Signick; 03-24-2013 at 10:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gretna, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    1

    Open carry group

    Afternoon,
    My family and I will be taking our CCW this saturday. Once we can legal carry concealed, I will be willing to take on the open carry issue to help make others aware that it is safe and legal.

    Other than above, how has your attempts proceeded?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Open Carry

    Anthony, I am slightly confused on the laws, and have found that MANY others are also...

    So, I have a few simple questions that hopefully will clear the air... (PLEASE do not provide answers without evidence to verify them as true)

    #1 Can a person OPEN carry in SARPY COUNTY without an Open Carry Permit?
    #2 Can a person OPEN carry in DOUGLAS COUNTY WITH an Open Carry Permit?
    #3 WHY are there (seemingly) NO teachers of Open Carry classes/permits in the Omaha/Metro Area? (if there are, please cite them)
    #4 Where can ALL the above asked questions be answered?

    Thanks ahead of time for the response, and if ya could, please send an email to me, so we can hook up and get to engageing in our 2nd and 1st Am. Rights!






    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Castro View Post
    Looking for like minded people to get together to go to the ranges here in Sarpy County.
    Also trying to get a group to start open carrying in public places. (Think its safer for the carriers to go in numbers, espc. when LEO show up.)

    Anthony - Papillion, NE
    Glock 22 Gen4

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus John View Post
    Anthony, I am slightly confused on the laws, and have found that MANY others are also...

    So, I have a few simple questions that hopefully will clear the air... (PLEASE do not provide answers without evidence to verify them as true)

    #1 Can a person OPEN carry in SARPY COUNTY without an Open Carry Permit?
    #2 Can a person OPEN carry in DOUGLAS COUNTY WITH an Open Carry Permit?
    #3 WHY are there (seemingly) NO teachers of Open Carry classes/permits in the Omaha/Metro Area? (if there are, please cite them)
    #4 Where can ALL the above asked questions be answered?

    Thanks ahead of time for the response, and if ya could, please send an email to me, so we can hook up and get to engageing in our 2nd and 1st Am. Rights!
    1 - Sarpy County does not appear to have an open carry ban nor require a permit to OC - at least none that I could find.
    ......http://www.municode.com/

    1.1 - Nebraska is an open carry state. However, state preemption does not reach local open carry bans.
    .........
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269

    1.2 Read the state statute here

    2 - Omaha/Douglas County does have extra-legal requirements for carrying there - read following:
    ..... http://nebraskafirearms.org/2010/02/...dgun-in-omaha/

    3 - The are no formal statutory open carry laws in NE; consequentially OC is legal because there are no laws against it.
    Therefore few "teach it" and it is not a requirement in class syllabus of NRA instructors - note the NRA is very resistant to OC.

    4 - You have come to the very best site for OC information. Unfortunately, there are not as many active practitioners as in other states.


    A quick overview of NE laws can be found at: http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gun...a-Gun-Laws.htm

    Suggest you link up with friends - always act responsibly, know the law first & smile a lot - consider joining http://nebraskafirearms.org/ at the very least peruse their site.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-17-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    Grapeshot,

    Good to see you in still another state area!

    Anyway, as I'm my usual (annual) motorcycle trip west, I've been open carrying in Nebraska for the last two days with zero problems. Many diners, gas stations, grocery stores and pretty much everywhere from the time I leave the motel room until I get back.

    Nice restaurants, hole in the wall diners and everything in between.

    Have done the same all the way up from Florida through GA, OH, IN , KY and MO so far, as usual.

    Headed into the Dakotas tomorrow.

    AD (open carry advocate and full time practitioner)
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    Grapeshot,

    Good to see you in still another state area!

    --snip--
    I have a personal interest in NE gun laws, particularly as they effect Omaha/Douglas county - I was born and raised there.

    The people are the "salt of the earth", warm and friendly folks. Unfortunatly, they don't seem to realize that their very freedom is at stake with the attacks on the 2A and RKBA - at least they have not collectively risen up to the challange.

    The Omaha PD and city council negative attitude is something about which I could write volumes - they just don't get it. The people deserve better.

    As a teenage, I carried my rifle team long gun home on the streetcar/buses with nary a complaint - was given my first pistol by a window (husband's gun), she asked my parents if it was OK. So much has changed - none for the better.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •