• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NE Ohio lawyers...

Jordysoso

A while back, after the Colorado theater shooting, a north ridgeville man took a handgun, magazines, and knives into the Crocker park regal cinema for the Dark Knight Rises showing. He was found guilty and sentenced to 6 months in jail today. Prosecuting Attorney Mark Mahoney, said on Fox8 news,"I think the judge got the message out that you shouldn't bring unlicensed guns into an unlicensed building." This guy is a lawyer and doesn't know that guns don't need to be registered in Ohio, but still can prosecute someone for something he is so misinformed on? I think this guy needs to be informed on the law.

RT48

The guy in the theater wasn't open carrying, his gun was concealed in a bag. So in this case, "unlicensed" doesn't refer to registration but rather the fact that the guy was carrying concealed without a CHL.

"Unlicensed building" is a poor choice of words but I suspect he is referring to the "no guns" sign.

Last edited:

eye95

Without full information, I won't pass judgment on the carrier nor on the judge. If things are as the second poster says, the carrier broke the law and earns no sympathy from me. If he was lawfully carrying, then I'd like to help him overcome the injustice.

Jordysoso

What I was pointing out was the prosecuter said, unlicensed firearms in unlicensed places. In Ohio, firearm licensing and registration isn't required was my point. The defendant had everything in a backpack, I was just giving background on the case with that.

MyWifeSaidYes

You have to be careful of the words you use in forums like this. You'll also want to be careful about assigning intent to someone else's words when they can't (or don't know that they should) defend themselves here.

All we can honestly pull from that attorney's comments are that he is an idiot.

:p