Thread: oc/ccw?

oc/ccw?

I live in Thornton CO but visit my family in glenwood springs and was wondering if you need a CCW to OC?
    I am looking into getting my CCW but for the mean time I was just curious.

Thank You for any responses

In general, no, you don't need a permit to OC, however having a permit may allow you to OC in more areas. You'd have to research the law. I haven't lived in CO for a few years, so I'm not 100% up to date on everything anymore.
    Rand Paul 2016

OC is legal throughout Colorado with the single exception of Denver, no permit needed.

CC is legal everywhere, including Denver, if you have a CHP.

There are no situations or places where having a CHP makes it legal to OC where it would otherwise be illegal....if you are allowed to carry a pistol there then you can carry openly with no permit or concealed with a permit.

You are also free to OC as much as you wish even after you get your permit, people may tell you that you HAVE to conceal because you have a CHP, that's simply not true.
    Last edited by PikesPeakMtnMan; 03-22-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by PikesPeakMtnMan View Post
    OC is legal throughout Colorado with the single exception of Denver, no permit needed.

There are no situations or places where having a CHP makes it legal to OC where it would otherwise be illegal....if you are allowed to carry a pistol there then you can carry openly with no permit or concealed with a permit.

You are also free to OC as much as you wish even after you get your permit, people may tell you that you HAVE to conceal because you have a CHP, that's simply not true.
    thank you, that was exactly what i was looking for

Wouldn't having a CHP give a person the ability to OC while passing through a school zone? As far as I know OC'ing without a permit would be illegal if you were within 1000' of a school.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

oc/ccw?

OC without a permit is irrelevant since there are no laws nor requirements to have an OC permit. OC is OC, regardless of having a CCW permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Wouldn't having a CHP give a person the ability to OC while passing through a school zone? As far as I know OC'ing without a permit would be illegal if you were within 1000' of a school.
    You're right, of course...but the practical reality is that an OCer doesn't have to worry about OCing in a school zone since that law is very rarely enforced (Could it happen? Sure. But will it? Unlikely.)

I was thinking more about the recent misinformation that's been going around that says one may OC in Denver if they have a permit.

Re: Denver OC. By their own law, they prohibit

A) Open Carry
    B) Concealed Carry
    C) Unless the person has a state CCW permit in which case A) & B) are invalid.

That is essentially how their law reads. Will you still get arrested, probably. You'd be the test case to break the 3/3 deadlock on Denver OC. My lawyer and I sat down back when he took my case on and we went over that statute, as he noted by the letter of the law you would be legal, but practically speaking you'd be in my shoes with a pending court case, and potentially a suit against the city.

------------

As for Thornton, oh, they'll arrest you for OC as well when you violate the PC law of "too soon" after Aurora - what it says, how long that is etc, no one can say because they can't find it on the books.

You cannot OC in Denver, period.
    Last edited by PikesPeakMtnMan; 03-26-2013 at 12:18 AM.

You cannot OC in Denver, period.
    Practically speaking correct. You'll get arrested. But that is where the "fun" starts.

Legally speaking, it is an air ball at this time awaiting another case to take it before the State Supreme Court for a tie breaker. Denver lost in that case on almost every other point as well, though their OC ban stood based on the 3/3 split since the 7th judge abstained.

Which brings me back to the wording of their law, it appears assailable given someone with a case that can take it to the Court, or gets the support of 2A legal assistance. If the right person gets jaked on this, that support if out there and waiting - but it can't be someone with a questionable history etc, it needs to be Johnny Been Good.

Aside from that, the case that was recently decided where the out of state resident was denied a Colorado CCW and challenging Denver's ban should be filed as a denial of right to bear arms to out of state residents by Denver. Given the state won't issue them a state permit, but only has reciprocity with select other states - Denver is denying the right to self defense under the state Constitution to residents of any state who visit who don't have reciprocity, or they don't have a CCW. That also goes back to CO residents who don't have a CCW who Denver is impugning their right to self defense when they live or travel to Denver.

It is waiting another case to be pushed to get the Court to make a decision.