Thread: Why Open Carry? Come out of the Closet!

Why Open Carry? Come out of the Closet!

My friends,

I've given this exact same speech at a number of rallies. I now would like to put it in writing.

Stay with me for a moment, and I hope the following question won't turn you off. Would you be willing to refute the truthfulness of this statement:

Regardless of how you feel about the matter, in the past 20-30 years the LGBT (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transexual) community has gained acceptance for themselves and who they are?

I don't think you have to be pro-sexual preference choice to agree with that statement -- it's simply a fact. Now the question becomes, "how have they accomplished this?" I'm going to tell you how: THEY'VE COME OUT OF THE CLOSET! Their families, friends, and neighbors have all seen nice and otherwise "normal" people come out of the closet and shamelessly tell the world they are homosexual.

That's what you do for gun ownership the day you start to open carry and everyday thereafter that you continue to open carry. You walk around your neighborhood in the evening for exercise (physical) and you're open carrying -- you're showing your neighbors that you're a gun owner. You go to you local grocery store while openly carrying, you're showing strangers in your town that it's not just cops and criminals that carry gun -- but good, respectable, law abiding people carry guns too.

When the topic of gun control comes up, these people (some of whom may have been on the fence) remember you and you become the face of gun owners. They remember the nice conversation they had with you. They ask themselves: why should we limit his rights?

So I invite you: come out of the closet, but be polite in everything you do. Become the change that you seek. Be the face of gun ownership to your family, friends, and your community. Let people know that you are proud to be someone who takes defense of yourself and your loved ones seriously. Be a proud gun owner/carrier.

Carry on and carry proudly...

/s/

Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

* Nothing in this article is intended to besmirch nor endorse the GLBT community or those who are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

Phillip Hofmeister is the President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc -- a leading civil rights organization in Michigan that advocates for the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permission is hereby granted to repost/distribute freely so long as everything above the line remains intact.
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Well,,,

Thank you Phil,,, theQ for that!
    You said it clearly and it makes sense,
    it is clear, concise,
    and ballanced.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Thank you Phil,,, theQ for that!
    You said it clearly and it makes sense,
    it is clear, concise,
    and ballanced.
    Thanks. It took me 10 minutes to write it and I've been up way too long today. I may regret writing it in the morning
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

OMG! That's gonna be the basis for my next t-shirt!

"Proud Open Carrier

When will you and YOUR handgun come out of the closet?

...or the nightstand?

...or the safe?

...or the cigar box?

...or the kitchen drawer?

..."
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Good OP and very true. If we want to keep the right to bear arms we must openly exercise that right.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    My friends,

I've given this exact same speech at a number of rallies. I now would like to put it in writing.

Stay with me for a moment, and I hope the following question won't turn you off. Would you be willing to refute the truthfulness of this statement:

Regardless of how you feel about the matter, in the past 20-30 years the GLBT (Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transexual) community has gained acceptance for themselves and who they are?

I don't think you have to be pro-sexual preference choice to agree with that statement -- it's simply a fact. Now the question becomes, "how have they accomplished this?" I'm going to tell you how: THEY'VE COME OUT OF THE CLOSET! Their families, friends, and neighbors have all seen nice and otherwise "normal" people come out of the closet and shamelessly tell the world they are homosexual.

That's what you do for gun ownership the day you start to open carry and everyday thereafter that you continue to open carry. You walk around your neighborhood in the evening for exercise (physical) and you're open carrying -- you're showing your neighbors that you're a gun owner. You go to you local grocery store while openly carrying, you're showing strangers in your town that it's not just cops and criminals that carry gun -- but good, respectable, law abiding people carry guns too.

When the topic of gun control comes up, these people (some of whom may have been on the fence) remember you and you become the face of gun owners. They remember the nice conversation they had with you. They ask themselves: why should we limit his rights?

So I invite you: come out of the closet, but be polite in everything you do. Become the change that you seek. Be the face of gun ownership to your family, friends, and your community. Let people know that you are proud to be someone who takes defense of yourself and your loved ones seriously. Be a proud gun owner/carrier.

Carry on and carry proudly...

/s/

Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

* Nothing in this article is intended to besmirch nor endorse the GLBT community or those who are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

Phillip Hofmeister is the President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc -- a leading civil rights organization in Michigan that advocates for the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permission is hereby granted to repost/distribute freely so long as everything above the line remains intact.
    You do realize that the LGBT community resorts to obnoxious and sometimes in-your-face civil disobedience to advance their issues. OCers? Not so much. Actually doing so would likely get the in-your-face civil disobedient OCer advancing his issue shot by the cops. Gays, not so much.

You do realize that for the most part you can not know who is or is not gay just by looking at them. OCers, well, this should be self evident to most folks.

Many folks do not care about guns on the hips of their fellow citizens. Just as they don't care about sexual orientation just as long as you ain't in-your-face about being gay or being a OCer.

I do not see very many instances of in-your-face OCers protesting our plight. Though, I wonder if I could apply for a permit to be hold a in-your-face protest at the state capital while a bunch of us OCers were OCing while being in-your-face about OCing.....likely a bad idea.

Other than the above, good speech.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME
    ...I do not see very many instances of in-your-face OCers protesting our plight.
    You aren't looking hard enough. Of course, it IS pretty cold right now for OC events.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME
    Though, I wonder if I could apply for a permit to be hold a in-your-face protest at the state capital while a bunch of us OCers were OCing while being in-your-face about OCing.....likely a bad idea.
    It IS a bad idea only IF you want to accomplish anything. Central Ohio is pretty tolerant of OC'ing. You want to DO something, organize more OC events in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo and Youngstown.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

I spent the weekend at a gunshow in Lynden, Washington extolling the virtues of Openly Carrying a firearm. Many people mentioned/complained about the report that tells/lies about the ninety percent of us that want MORE gun control. My suggestion was as follows.
    Over four hundred thousand People are current holders of Concealed Pistol Licences in Washington State. If, on a preselected date, we all wore that same weapon out in the open, we would send a definitive message to both the DC reps and those in Olympia. They believe that out of site is out of mind. If they cannot see it it is not there mindset. Bring your weapon out where the POLITICIANS can see them. Remind them why the Second Amendment was penned.

Maybe we could make it a National effort to remind our reps where WE stand. Say, an important date, like 4 JULY 2013. Independence Day. THE day to remind them We are the People. We do not need to gather in central locations for rally's. Wear your weapon Openly as you go thru your normal day. Bring Open Carry back to the norm by helping a CCr come out of the "closet".
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I spent the weekend at a gunshow in Lynden, Washington extolling the virtues of Openly Carrying a firearm. Many people mentioned/complained about the report that tells/lies about the ninety percent of us that want MORE gun control. My suggestion was as follows.
    Over four hundred thousand People are current holders of Concealed Pistol Licences in Washington State. If, on a preselected date, we all wore that same weapon out in the open, we would send a definitive message to both the DC reps and those in Olympia. They believe that out of site is out of mind. If they cannot see it it is not there mindset. Bring your weapon out where the POLITICIANS can see them. Remind them why the Second Amendment was penned.

Maybe we could make it a National effort to remind our reps where WE stand. Say, an important date, like 4 JULY 2013. Independence Day. THE day to remind them We are the People. We do not need to gather in central locations for rally's. Wear your weapon Openly as you go thru your normal day. Bring Open Carry back to the norm by helping a CCr come out of the "closet".
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Thumbs up

+1

+1

This is a huge point that the CCW only crowd misses. Too bad.

Agreed, wholeheartedly!

Banned
    So is Q stating its a civil right to carry (OC or CC)?