Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Access Gun Safe

Quick Access Gun Safe

I have used a GunVault model that has the tactile keypad for quick entry. Unfortunately, the cable that pulls the latch to open the vault broke. 2 friends had the same issue. The backup key still works, but I no longer have the easy access. So far, all the small safes/vaults that I have looked at use the same mechanism, which has a built in failure mode. Small cable being wrapped around a small shaft over and over again is going to break sometime, the only question is when.
    Do any of you out there have something that works that doesn't use this kind of mechanism? I want a small safe, one or two pistol model, with tactile keypad or biometric entry.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by okiephlyer View Post
    I have used a GunVault model that has the tactile keypad for quick entry. Unfortunately, the cable that pulls the latch to open the vault broke. 2 friends had the same issue. The backup key still works, but I no longer have the easy access. So far, all the small safes/vaults that I have looked at use the same mechanism, which has a built in failure mode. Small cable being wrapped around a small shaft over and over again is going to break sometime, the only question is when.
    Do any of you out there have something that works that doesn't use this kind of mechanism? I want a small safe, one or two pistol model, with tactile keypad or biometric entry.

I use the top drawer of my nightstand.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I use the top drawer of my nightstand.
    Which doesn't help in my situation at all.

Which doesn't help in my situation at all.
    I know. Just providing a different perspective on firearms security in the home that may be an option to complicated mechanisms that could fail at the most inconvenient time.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I keep my handgun on my hip, safest place for it. No children at home so we keep a gun handy while we sleep. We raised five children and never had one of them touch the guns at home. I did keep them in a locked gun case though, except for the one on my hip.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quick Access Gun Safe

I have a large stand alone gun safe. It has a spin dial with three numbers.

Just a suggestion, maybe you or others haven't thought of this before. Just enter all the numbers and stop right before the last number.

Example. - if your combo is -
    Clear to left allot stop on 12
    Right 3 times stop on 9
    Left 2 times stop on 84
    Turn right until dial stops then open

Just stop on 80 and leave it. If in a hurry turn left to 84 then right until dial stops and open retrieve gun.

A dial safe is easy to open this way. If someone messes with lock you will know. If your worried about light, I have a magnetic battery operated light an inch above the dial.

I know this isn't what your looking for. I don't trust battery locks. My truck safe is battery operated, I use my key rather thank punching in combo.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    I have a large stand alone gun safe. It has a spin dial with three numbers.

Just a suggestion, maybe you or others haven't thought of this before. Just enter all the numbers and stop right before the last number.

Example. - if your combo is -
    Clear to left allot stop on 12
    Right 3 times stop on 9
    Left 2 times stop on 84
    Turn right until dial stops then open

Just stop on 80 and leave it. If in a hurry turn left to 84 then right until dial stops and open retrieve gun.

A dial safe is easy to open this way. If someone messes with lock you will know. If your worried about light, I have a magnetic battery operated light an inch above the dial.

I know this isn't what your looking for. I don't trust battery locks. My truck safe is battery operated, I use my key rather thank punching in combo.
    UNLESS the person is under stress in low light conditions. I always like a key on a lanyard around the neck. Worked for years with my home key, and locker key. I also used it for the key to my gun case, and even now have a key to my gun safe around my neck. I think I started doing this because my mother would say "If you lose it, I am going to put a string around your neck with it".
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

1. I have an upright gun safe with all but one of my guns in it. Due to the dynamics of the situation, it is in a different room from where I sleep.
    2. There are children in the house, one of which wakes at night and walks in to our bedroom. I don't think she would pick up a gun laying on the nightstand, but the spouse isn't as trusting as I am. In the interest of marital harmony, a small gun safe by the bed is a compromise.
    3. Any mechanical device, including a gun, is prone to breakage when you need it most. Granted, most guns used for self defense have been proven to be very reliable, but there is not a single one out there that every unit in all makes and all models have not had a failure at some point. ( I would love to be proven wrong on this last point )

So, back to the original question?

Quick Access Gun Safe

Mind posting a picture of what broke? I have a decent safe and it sounds like it opens differently but I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

No picture available, but here goes. There is a small electric motor with a shaft that is about 1/16th of an inch diameter. The cable is swaged on to the shaft, so that as the shaft turns, the cable is wrapped around the shaft and pulls on the locking tab on the inside of the latch, opening the safe. With such a small diameter shaft, the cable gets tightly flexed each time the safe opens. After enough times flexing, the cable snaps at the shaft, so no pull on the latch. It is possible to re-attach the cable, but the same thing happens over again. At some point in time, the cable breaks again.
    Every small, bedside type safe that I have looked at in the past couple of years has the same mechanism to actually unlatch the safe. There are many different versions of what you have to do to get the motor to turn, but is is always a small motor with a cable wrapped around the shaft that does the actual work.
    What I want is something that has a different mechanism. Would prefer something that has tactile or biometrics, but would also look at a pure mechanical touchpad. Anyone know of such a thing?

Have a look at this site I have heard that they are a very good handgun safe ( and I have no afilliation with them )

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.p...tegory&path=59
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

http://www.fas1safe.com/main.sc

I have this safe between my bed and nightstand...gun is presented in a natural position. The safe is solid and has a simplex lock too.

CT WHIT good to be here

Quote Originally Posted by CT WHIT View Post

I have this safe between my bed and nightstand...gun is presented in a natural position. The safe is solid and has a simplex lock too.

CT WHIT good to be here
    Welcome to the forum. This looks real promising.
    Thanks to all that have given me something to work with. Your time and comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by okiephlyer; 03-23-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: should have used spell check

Quote Originally Posted by CT WHIT View Post

CT WHIT good to be here
    Welcome to the board!

I use something very similar to the above: http://www.titangunvault.com/

The safe comes with a couple mounting brackets (I have one installed using Loctite on my bed frame and one mounted in the car). You can also buy a separate box which will hold 1 magazine which can be permanently affixed to the side of the safe. I think it's a little pricey for what it is, but it works...
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

Banned
    May as well just get a paper bag with scribble on it saying "don't touch" or "no gun in here" lol

GunVault has a fingerprint model ... FYI ~$125 - $150

Or just glue the key into the broken one ...

I can open any of these posted ones in about 2 seconds without the "key"

These are OK to keep toddlers out of them but so does a shelf about 5' high ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    May as well just get a paper bag with scribble on it saying "don't touch" or "no gun in here" lol

GunVault has a fingerprint model ... FYI ~$125 - $150

Or just glue the key into the broken one ...

I can open any of these posted ones in about 2 seconds without the "key"

These are OK to keep toddlers out of them but so does a shelf about 5' high ...
    David,

I completely agree. A lot of these mini-safes are fairly easy to crack, so no one should expect them to stop an average criminal / older child from breaking into them when given a little time. Just for the sake of posterity, a Simplex lock has roughly between 1,000 - 2,000 combinations depending how you use them. You can run through all possible combinations in well under 30 minutes. For slightly increased security, I have a stand up dial combination safe which is bolted / cemented to the house foundation which is where I keep most of my firearms (even this can be defeated fairly easily with a little time and maybe some thermite).

The quick access safe is convenient to keep my "nightstand gun" a little bit more inaccessible to my kids during the night who occasionally wander in due do to various reasons. You're right, a high shelf would serve the same purpose, but the safe is, shall we say, common ground between my wife and I. Once I'm done getting ready in the morning, I take the firearm out of the quick-safe, holster it and then I'm off to work. It's not a safe I would want to keep a firearm in all day long to be sure....

I've seen a handful of videos online in regards to the GunVault line & many others showing how easy it is to defeat them. Anyone looking at these safes should definitely do a little research to see what the pros/cons are of each one and make an informed decision based upon capabilities and requirements.
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

Children are not the same as your common burglar, they have all the time they need, depending how determined they are. Safest place for a gun is in your immediate control. For sleeping I only used the system we were trained to use by the department, a very good padlock behind the trigger, and keep the handgun still in close proximity. I kept the key around my neck, it only took a split second to free the lock from behind the trigger. The rest of the firearms were kept in a locked gun case, with a alarm on the case that the children did not know about. That alarm never went off because they were taught not to touch the guns without adult supervision.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Have two of these http://www.fas1safe.com/main.sc ( I highly recommend them - built like a tank)

And (can't have too much storage) pondering one of these http://www.consolevault.com/secret-safe.html & maybe a console setup in one of the rigs.

Now we are contemplating a more secure set up like this. http://www.truckvault.com/ Spendy but secure storage if done right and due to the recent break in's at matches down south think its time to step up.

Which ever you choose - look for 'storage' with a simplex lock. Best value for fast access and no dead batteries.

For home in...an undisclosed location... have a vault door leading to a walk in safe - which I highly recommend
    Last edited by Snoplop; 05-03-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoplop View Post
    Have two of these http://www.fas1safe.com/main.sc ( I highly recommend them - built like a tank)

And (can't have too much storage) pondering one of these http://www.consolevault.com/secret-safe.html & maybe a console setup in one of the rigs.

Now we are contemplating a more secure set up like this. http://www.truckvault.com/ Spendy but secure storage if done right and due to the recent break in's at matches down south think its time to step up.

Which ever you choose - look for 'storage' with a simplex lock. Best value for fast access and no dead batteries.

For home in...an undisclosed location... have a vault door leading to a walk in safe - which I highly recommend
    Decades back we put a deadbolt on the two older girls closet because the youngest daughter would snoop through their stuff. She was a determined little bugger but it stopped her from at least snooping their things.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Have one of these on each side of the bed. No battery to worry about, open it quickly, and by feel only, and holstered gun is presented to draw. Mine holds my XD40 4" with tactical light, and I can still store my EDC (XD40sc) in the bottom.

I have a safe, but it hardly gets used. My primary carry gun goes from the night stand into my holster every morning, and vice-versa at night. The one I do have is a cheapo Stack-On that's bolted to my floor. When I get home at night, one of the first things I do is unlock the safe but leave the door closed in case I need to access extra mags/one of my other guns in a hurry.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

I don't really see using a safe, when I'm home. Who's going to sneak in and take anything Then?
    I've got a safe, it gets locked right after I've had breakfast and before I go out the door. At night it stays unlocked with easy access.

Then again, I don't have any children who would sneak into my bedroom.

The gun safe recommend

I think that you should use the new model to relpace the previous one. There are a wide range of biomatric & protable gun safes in the maket. The biomatric feature allow you to open the item just by pressing the keypad. The Ganvault has many models may meet your requirements.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoplop View Post
    I have on of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html

It will open that tank...I'll just carry it home and open it up.

Want to secure your guns while away? 1000 #, bolted to the ground safe .. but even those can be easy opened.

My advice: do not store all your guns at one location ... I have mine spread out through the USA. Someone takes a few, I can get them replaced in a day if I want. I can always build my own guns in a few days to replace stolen ones too.

Always good to see whats on the market.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Best Biometric Safe!

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd post here for anyone else looking for a good biometric gun safe. I've shopped around a lot for a good biometric gunsafe and the best one that I've found is The GunBox Biometric + RF gun safe. Not only can I program all 10 of my fingerprints but I can program my husband's as well. Heck, I could program my toes if I wanted to. It holds about 200 fingerprints. It also comes with a RFID label and wristband. They also offer some sweet RFID rings as well. It holds my gun plus a magazine. I've even seen pictures of people that can fit 2 smaller guns in it. You can bolt it down, upside down to a wall etc. You have access to your guns in about 3 seconds. This gun safe exceeded my expectations and blows GunVault out of the water. Their videos are impressive too. They have videos where the GunBox is put through a "torture test" not only by the company but by other companies as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast