• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this number accurate?

eye95

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I find it hard to believe that it is. But Yoko Ono has tweeted that over a million folks have been shot in the US since John Lennon died. Can we get a fact check on this. BTW, in his efforts to take our guns, Obama has repeated the number.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...protest-gun-violence-20130321,0,1321358.story

On edit: Ono said "killed" not just "shot."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
<O>

It might be overall, but when broken down to those fatally shot, those shot lawfully while committing a crime, suicides, compared to death by alcohol and motor vehicles it is miniscule.

ADobbs1989

Taking the numbers of total firearm murders from the years 2000, 2005, 2008, and 2009 and obtaining the average. Then multiplying that by 33 you get 309,424 deaths. This is overall firearm murders according to the Statistical Abstract of the U.S. version 2012. I know that firearm deaths have decreased over the years, but even taking that into consideration I don't think you could manage to pull another 700,000 deaths out of those numbers. I would say the actual number would still be under 400,000. It might could reach a million if you add in self defense, suicide etc...however IMO those stats do not matter when trying to relate guns to crime. So at best it's a feeble attempt at trying to over inflate the amount of gun crime in America. Because when people hear this they think "murders"....they don't think about all the self defense shootings, and people who commit suicide (which IMO is useless to include because if not for a gun they more than likely would have still committed suicide).

mikeyb

http://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/gun_violence/sect01.html

The problem with the data is it's estimated and extrapolated. But figure if at least 30,000 gun-related deaths per year, for 33 years, that makes out to be 990,000. So I'd say it's not a stretch to be at 1 million.

Now, remove suicides from those numbers and I'd say it's safe to assume a big drop in numbers would occur. Estimate 10,000 gun deaths/year x 33 years = 330,000.

But as long as we're crunching numbers here, Yoko:
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), since 1973, roughly 50 million legal induced abortions have been performed in the United States.
According to US DOT, every 2 hours, three people are killed in alcohol-related highway crashes. 13,140 people will die from drunk drivers this year.
In 2009, in 10.8 million vehicle accidents, 35,900 people died (the lowest number reported since 1990 in this report).
In 2009, the accident rate was 1.1 (deaths per 100 million miles); 18 per 100,000 licensed drivers (2008 stat).
Estimate (low) of 40,000 people a year killed in auto accidents: 1,320,000 since 1980.

I know you really can't compare privileges to rights, but if you're gonna start throwing out numbers, let's put them in perspective.

cablebob

gunmap_zps984b8b8e.jpg

KYKevin

Fact is People die. That's life. They need to get over it. We can not all live forever. They seem to want this fantasy world where every one lives and does not die. You can not stop death.

mikeyb

Fact is People die. That's life. They need to get over it. We can not all live forever. They seem to want this fantasy world where every one lives and does not die. You can not stop death.

If people would grasp that notion, the SSA would be handing out drugs, guns & ammo to everyone. (dark, sarcastic humor)