Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: PDs Beg And Barter For Ammo While DHS Buys Up 1.6 Billion Rounds In Past Year

  1. #1
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269

    PDs Beg And Barter For Ammo While DHS Buys Up 1.6 Billion Rounds In Past Year

    FUQ
    The nationwide shortage of ammunition has left many police departments scrambling to get their hands on the necessary rounds - with some even bartering among each other.

    http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn...uys-16-billion
    Sucks to be me. I gotta pay for their ammo and mine.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  2. #2
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Sucks to be me. I gotta pay for their ammo and mine.
    I'll trade them 1000 rounds of .40 pistol for one of those evil black rifles.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  3. #3
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    My last purchase of 45 ACP brass came from police dept ranges. Surely they can afford some equipment to reload, but then I would rather they sell it to me.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    I think that your average LEO is very much like your average gun owner. Reloading is too much work and too time consuming. I do not reload, but my brother in-law does and I bring him the expended brass and chip in on the remaining components and consumables. I purchase new and bring home reloads after a trip to South Carolina. Very comfortable arrangement for me and he.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I think that your average LEO is very much like your average gun owner. Reloading is too much work and too time consuming. I do not reload, but my brother in-law does and I bring him the expended brass and chip in on the remaining components and consumables. I purchase new and bring home reloads after a trip to South Carolina. Very comfortable arrangement for me and he.
    But we all know that reloading ammo will just be used to convince the jury that the PD was looking to kill somebody.

    Oh, wait!

    They were, weren't they?

    Seriously, the liability issues about a LEO getting hurt from a department-reloaded round make the legs of tile crawlers withing a 200-mile radius get all tingly. But remanufactured ammo is always "good to go".

    Back in the days before there was dirt, many PDs saved their brass (except the stuff they used to shoot folks with, which was a whole lot less back then) and shipped it to remanufacturers who used it in ammo they made up and sold to the PD at some discount for having brought their own brass.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But we all know that reloading ammo will just be used to convince the jury that the PD was looking to kill somebody.

    Oh, wait!

    They were, weren't they?

    Seriously, the liability issues about a LEO getting hurt from a department-reloaded round make the legs of tile crawlers withing a 200-mile radius get all tingly. But remanufactured ammo is always "good to go".

    Back in the days before there was dirt, many PDs saved their brass (except the stuff they used to shoot folks with, which was a whole lot less back then) and shipped it to remanufacturers who used it in ammo they made up and sold to the PD at some discount for having brought their own brass.

    stay safe.
    We also used to drive our cars for years, and repair them instead of getting a new one every year.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    We also used to drive our cars for years, and repair them instead of getting a new one every year.
    Every 6 months*

    FTFY

  8. #8
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    We also used to drive our cars for years, and repair them instead of getting a new one every year.
    We also used to be able to repair our cars. Dad's tool kit for his '49 Chevrolet consisted of a pair of pliers, a common and a Phillips screwdriver, a book of matches, and a dime. Only time he ever needed more was the day the timing gear (made of some type of fiber) stripped.

    Points to all you old codgers if you remember what the book of matches and the dime were for.

    Friend of mine here in Montgomery is telling me that components for reloading, especially primers, are getting scarce also.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Points to all you old codgers if you remember what the book of matches and the dime were for.
    Points and valve lash.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Alamo Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Dad's tool kit for his '49 Chevrolet consisted of a pair of pliers, a common and a Phillips screwdriver, a book of matches, and a dime. .
    Ya missed the most important part of a mechanic's toolbox. The hammer. Bigger is better.


    On the topic of ammo - I was in our local gun store looking for .490 round ball for my .50 sidelock, and the shelves were nearly bare. Not a .22 nor a .45 in sight. Just a handful of shotgun shells, and some rare odds and ends. I used to be able to go in there and buy 1000+ rounds without even denting their stock.

    I reload my own shotshells and .45 LC, still need to pick up some dies for my rifles and other handgun calibers. But I did try to buy .45 lead the other day - couldn't find a single stinking bucket of it anywhere. Nobody's got anything, looks like. I'm gonna be shooting pebbles with flour for powder, if it keeps going like this.

  11. #11
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Points and valve lash.
    Half right. The dime was used to set the points and the spark plug gap. Valve lash was usually done as part of a major tune up. Dad always changed the points, the plugs, rebuilt the carburetor, checked the brakes for wear, and set the valve lash as a part of his major tune up. Valve lash on most cars was quite a bit less than the thickness of a dime.

    Btw, the only time I remember that '49 Chevy leaving us stranded was when a timing gear stripped. Those things were made of some sort of composite material that lasted for years and years. But, when it did go, you walked until you could replace that gear.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I think that your average LEO is very much like your average gun owner.
    Used to be that way...I don't think its like that anymore ... IMO ...

  13. #13
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Used to be that way...I don't think its like that anymore ... IMO ...
    With the exception of some rural and very small town LEAs, you're right on the money. For whatever reason, the increased militarization of many LEAs has led to a "them vs. us" mentality in which even law-abiding citizens are viewed with a healthy amount of suspicion.

    On the other side of the coin, the proliferation of stories found on the internet exposing police abuse have tended to make a large number of citizens very cautious, to say the least, about any interaction with police. This feeds the mutual distrust, which, IMNSHO, is just what those in power want. Ever heard the mantra, "Divide and conquer"?

    There is another anomaly I am aware of but cannot pin down the source of it, and that is the tendency of far too many in law enforcement and other government agencies, from the local all the way up to the federal level, to completely disregard the entire Constitution, not just the Bill of Rights. Where did this come from? How can it be reversed? Inquiring minds want to know!

    Please do not take my comments as "cop-bashing" or use them as an excuse for the same. Not all agencies or individual officers are possessed of this mindset.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    205

    Also....

    A dime was also used to set rear axle end play for a Chrysler 8.75", and the 1970's "silent chain" Mopar timing set had a similar problem with nylon teeth on the cam gear; the teeth would break off, and the chain would "jump a tooth", rendering the car useless. We always replaced it with an all-steel timing set. And yes, the dime is just about a .035" gapping tool for plugs; valve lash went away in the late 60s with the intro of hydraulic lifters.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Half right. The dime was used to set the points and the spark plug gap. Valve lash was usually done as part of a major tune up. Dad always changed the points, the plugs, rebuilt the carburetor, checked the brakes for wear, and set the valve lash as a part of his major tune up. Valve lash on most cars was quite a bit less than the thickness of a dime.

    Btw, the only time I remember that '49 Chevy leaving us stranded was when a timing gear stripped. Those things were made of some sort of composite material that lasted for years and years. But, when it did go, you walked until you could replace that gear.

  15. #15
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfenter View Post
    A dime was also used to set rear axle end play for a Chrysler 8.75", and the 1970's "silent chain" Mopar timing set had a similar problem with nylon teeth on the cam gear; the teeth would break off, and the chain would "jump a tooth", rendering the car useless. We always replaced it with an all-steel timing set. And yes, the dime is just about a .035" gapping tool for plugs; valve lash went away in the late 60s with the intro of hydraulic lifters.
    Now, you are making me feel old!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •