• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked CMPD about open carry

papa bear

as far as GATTTOTP convictions. i think the guy in Burnsville, NC was convicted of it. not sure about that though

but i want to address TIGER. first welcome to this site. you have learned one of the third or fourth lesson that we get here on this forum.

never , never, never, ever, never, etc, etc, ask a LEO about the law. they do not know. if you must, ask a "gun" lawyer, DA, or AG.and look it up your self

carolina guy

as far as GATTTOTP convictions. i think the guy in Burnsville, NC was convicted of it. not sure about that though

but i want to address TIGER. first welcome to this site. you have learned one of the third or fourth lesson that we get here on this forum.

never , never, never, ever, never, etc, etc, ask a LEO about the law. they do not know. if you must, ask a "gun" lawyer, DA, or AG.and look it up your self

+1

Tigerseiken

You shouldn't have any problems with that area. I been all over South Blvd. and the Tyvola Rd. area. You have to expect a hassle if you go Uptown (i.e. anything inside the John Belk I277). You may get hassled in Pineville if you make it that far south. I used to work over on Independence and had plenty of LEO encounters with no problems.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Tigerseiken

Well, you would think that professional would know their trade rules..... Point taken.

papa bear

Well, you would think that professional would know their trade rules..... Point taken.

well , not saying LEOs lie, but they might not tell you the truth. there is a thing i like to call "functional intelligence", it is just enough intellegence to funtion. they will not go beyond their training.

i have often notice the government to be full of these types

carolina guy

well , not saying LEOs lie, but they might not tell you the truth. there is a thing i like to call "functional intelligence", it is just enough intellegence to funtion. they will not go beyond their training.

i have often notice the government to be full of these types

Plus, never discount personal bias...they know they are under no obligation to tell the truth and hold no liability for bad information. So they spout what they feel will enhance "officer safety" regardless of other consequences.

self preservation

Sec. 15-14. - Possession of dangerous weapons.

(a)
For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3½ inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.
(c)
This section shall not apply to the following persons while acting lawfully and within the scope of their duties and authority:
(1)
Law enforcement officers.
(2)
Officers and soldiers of the armed forces, militia and national guard.
(3)
Any person who carries a dangerous weapon onto the premises of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport for the sole purpose of shipping the weapon by air in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
(4)
Persons specifically authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their jobs.
(5)
Any other person authorized, in writing, by the city manager or his designee to carry or possess dangerous weapons while in or upon specified public property. The city manager may promulgate guidelines for the issuance of permits for the possession of dangerous weapons on public property. The purpose of the guidelines shall be to ensure that permits are issued only for lawful purposes and in circumstances which present no threat to the safety and welfare of any person.
(d)
This section shall not prohibit the lawful possession or carrying of dangerous weapons on the public streets and sidewalks, except as provided in section 15-18
(Code 1985, § 15-23)

There you go. You are exempt:lol:

Read here to see what a militia is.

Last edited:

Tigerseiken

(a)
For the purposes of this section, the term "dangerous weapon" shall be defined as any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property, including, but not limited to, firearms; knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3½ inches in length, except when used solely for preparation of food, instruction or maintenance; razors and razor blades, except when used solely for personal shaving; metallic knuckles; clubs, blackjacks and nightsticks; dynamite cartridges, bombs, grenades, mines and other powerful explosives; slingshots; shurikins; stun guns; and loaded canes.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.
(c)
This section shall not apply to the following persons while acting lawfully and within the scope of their duties and authority:
(1)
(2)
(3)
Any person who carries a dangerous weapon onto the premises of Charlotte/Douglas International Airport for the sole purpose of shipping the weapon by air in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
(4)
Persons specifically authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their jobs.
(5)
Any other person authorized, in writing, by the city manager or his designee to carry or possess dangerous weapons while in or upon specified public property. The city manager may promulgate guidelines for the issuance of permits for the possession of dangerous weapons on public property. The purpose of the guidelines shall be to ensure that permits are issued only for lawful purposes and in circumstances which present no threat to the safety and welfare of any person.
(d)
This section shall not prohibit the lawful possession or carrying of dangerous weapons on the public streets and sidewalks, except as provided in section 15-18
(Code 1985, § 15-23)

Interesting. Do you know of a precedent where this was established?

carolina guy

(a)
(b)
(c)
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(d)

(Code 1985, § 15-23)

Well, since you have a NC and US Constitutional RIGHT to carry ARMS, I think that section D pretty much covers it...militia or not.

BTW: Here is a url for the Charlotte code.

Last edited: