• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal proposal to require 2/3rds majority vote to impose gun control made by M. Lee

WalkingWolf

Regardless of whether they have the constitutional authority or not, they have already obtained the authority to do it. Getting that authority taken away is going to be a long journey, and forcing a larger majority vote could be one small step in that journey. Doesn't really matter if you buy into it or not...they have the authority right now to pass any gun control legislation with a majority vote. Yes, we need to work to change that back to how it should be, but it's not going to happen overnight, nor all at once.
Yea how did that compromise and trusting the gun grabber thing work in California.

Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors, something in the hand.

[video=youtube;wXf_eaQcSdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXf_eaQcSdM[/video]

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

So where are all the bills that says congress has no authority to pass gun control legislation? Who exactly is leading the charge in restoring the republic? I haven't seen any...basically your saying let's ignore it and pretend they don't have the authority and continue letting them pass gun control with a majority vote. Good plan...I can now see how much better that is than forcing a 2/3rd's vote.

eye95

The tyranny of the super-majority!

The only thing congress should pass is a bill stating that they have no authority to infringe on the RKBA and that all laws restricting the ownership or carry of handguns, rifles, shotguns, or variants thereof is hereby repealed.

ADobbs1989

The tyranny of the super-majority!

The only thing congress should pass is a bill stating that they have no authority to infringe on the RKBA and that all laws restricting the ownership or carry of handguns, rifles, shotguns, or variants thereof is hereby repealed.

Great! Now, who is working on this bill? Is there a congressman currently trying to get such a bill passed? If there is please share so I can contact my senators and representatives to show my support.

ADobbs1989

No one. Because even those who purport to be "pro-2A" don't think this way.

Exactly. In a perfect world our government would fully support our constitutional republic. Unfortunately we live in a screwed up world where the government has taken power that doesn't belong to them. In a government where gun control can legally be passed with a majority vote, I don't logically see how forcing them to obtain 2/3rd's vote could be a bad idea. 2/3rd's is better than simple majority, and IMO helps to limit the power they don't deserve in the first place. But until someone comes along to restore the republic that power isn't going to be released.

eye95

No. This bill presupposes and codifies a congressional power to make gun law. It only makes it hard to make that law. Supporting this idea supports the idea that Congress can make gun law. I don't care how hard it its for them to do it; it should be impossible for them to do it!

Oh, and as others have pointed out, this law would not make it much harder at all. Congress would simply have to pass a law, with a simple majority, repealing this law, and then they could pass gun law with a simple majority.

Again, the only gun law I will support from Congress is one that recognizes that they cannot legally pass laws restricting handguns, long guns, or variants there of (heck, they shouldn't even be able to pass knife laws) and repeals all such existing laws.

Anything else promotes the current illegal state of affairs.

ADobbs1989

They can pass gun laws. Pretending they can't doesn't change the facts. They can already pass the laws with a simple majority. Maybe not constitutionally..but they still do it. Even if it was passed to 2/3rd's..then changed back to majority...it wouldn't have changed anything. So it couldn't possibly hurt anything. Until such a bill comes along that restores the republic...I'll support any measure taken against congress to make it harder.

eye95

Federal proposal to require 2/3rds majority vote to impose gun control made by

No one is pretending they can't. That is a strawman and is damned dishonest of you.

I am simply saying the I will support no gun law except repeal of existing gun law, especially not a law that formalizes this illegal power.

You were dishonest in that post. Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

ADobbs1989

Your entire premise is that if we support this then it gives them the power to pass gun control laws...and if they wish they can change the 2/3rds to simple majority...which is exactly what they already have. I'm giving you back exactly what I'm getting. Your posts up until this point have been "They do not have the power to pass gun control laws, so I will not support legislation that regulates such power. If I did I would be confirming their right to have this power." If that's not pretending they don't have the power already, then I don't know what is. If you don't want me to think things that are untrue, then you need to do a better job of explaining your exact position, because with the information you have given, this is the conclusion I have reached.

eye95

I moved on because you seem to like to state my argument for me, in a dishonest way in order for you to be able to easily dismantle the strawman you built. I don't play that game. I will not discuss this issue with you further except to point out your repeated dishonesty.

If, at some time in the future, you decide to abandon this vile and deceptive tactic, discussion with you on another topic might be possible, but at this moment, I have no desire to discuss this idea or anything else with you. There are enough folks acting honestly around here to talk to.

<o>

ADobbs1989

Lol you are a gem. Time and time again all over this forum you back yourself into a wall then instead of working out of it you attack the other person for being dishonest or some other nonsense. Somehow you are never wrong, it's always the person who disagrees with you. There are a few people who like to kiss your butt every time you speak, but I think many people have caught on to your pathetic tactics. I'm pleased you are done replying, you never had anything useful to say anyway.

eye95

The fact remains that you are stating my argument for me, incorrectly and dishonestly, and then arguing against that misrepresentation. That makes discussion with you on topic impossible.

I have now made that point amply also and feel no need to elaborate on it. So I will move on from even pointing out your dishonest use of strawmen. Have a nice day.

<o>

ADobbs1989

I only asserted what I got from your arguments. If it was wrong then in the future I suggest you use your cognitive skills to present a more coherent, precise argument that follows logic and at the end makes sense. Then you wont have to worry about people trying to interpret your arguments.

Preyn2

Supporting the law legitimizes the theory that Congress has the authority to infringe upon my gun rights. They don't.

Supporting the law would translate to "I guess you can infringe on my right to keep and bear arms....but only if you really mean it."

No. The Right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. And I'm not going to legitimize the issue by setting a higher bar for them to jump over.

eye95

Supporting the law legitimizes the theory that Congress has the authority to infringe upon my gun rights. They don't.

Supporting the law would translate to "I guess you can infringe on my right to keep and bear arms....but only if you really mean it."

No. The Right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. And I'm not going to legitimize the issue by setting a higher bar for them to jump over.

Yeah. You said it better than I.

<o>