Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over reaction or right thing to do?

Over reaction or right thing to do?

Man carrying umbrella, not rifle, was on his usual route

CHELSEA KROTZER | Staff writer • Published March 20, 2013

A typical Tuesday morning for 42-year-old Michael Di Marzo quickly became a citywide multi-jurisdictional manhunt for him and what witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.

Three schools were locked down and delayed as police scoured the area by ground and air, looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/2...#storylink=cpy

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/2...lding-gun.html
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 03-22-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

Banned
    And how many pickups were shot up?

gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !

The army must have swat teams out 24/7.

Additional text for your reading pleasure...

So, all a kid has to do to get out of a day of school is call in someoe with a random object, say it was a gun... and Ping... and day out of school work.

- Seriously though, it is really sad how sheepish and jumpy the much of the US has become. What ever happened to Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave? ... Over Reaction?? -- Absolutly, we are training people to accept the police state mentality.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

The obvious point: even if it had been a rifle, so what?

Carrying a rifle is no more illegal than carrying an umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post

+1

Remember these 2 teenagers from Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post

+2
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

I met Zack one time shook his hand and thanked him for all he had done.

Well if the news article is correct in terms of the police were reported to the scene of a man in black in a ski mask with a rifle in hand near a school then I do not blame them. As per RCW 9.41.270 affirmed in State v. spencer, it is illegal to carry a deadly weapon in a manner that warrants alarm. If carrying a rifle in hand wearing a ski mask near a school doesn't warrant alarm then I don't know what does....

now if the kid was lying when reporting to the cops then he needs to be prosecuted....

Maybe an overeaction in terms of numbers of officers.. But searching for the suspect and having SWAT on standby isn't a bad idea
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

From the article:
    At the end of the day, there isnít a much better training exercise than what happened March 12.
    Sure there is. A much better training exercise would avoid locking down the schools, telling the public that there is a potential madman loose and buzzing the town with a helicopter for a few hours. But never mind the peasants, right Chelsea? Gees, how blind can you be?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well if the news article is correct in terms of the police were reported to the scene of a man in black in a ski mask with a rifle in hand near a school then I do not blame them. As per RCW 9.41.270 affirmed in State v. spencer, it is illegal to carry a deadly weapon in a manner that warrants alarm. If carrying a rifle in hand wearing a ski mask near a school doesn't warrant alarm then I don't know what does....

now if the kid was lying when reporting to the cops then he needs to be prosecuted....

Maybe an overeaction in terms of numbers of officers.. But searching for the suspect and having SWAT on standby isn't a bad idea
    In Spencer it wasn't just the manner it was also his "demeanor".
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I'm becoming more and more a believer in an old saying:

"The more I learn about people, the more I love my dog".

We are in the midst of Morons. God help us.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Over reaction. Majorly.

Notice all the control the police have. Locking down schools, whining about kids and parents texting, spending thousands of dollars stolen from tax payers, still to take HOURS, to find their "suspect". A man carrying a black umbrella wearing a turtle neck. I guess the bright side is they didn't slaughter him for pointing his umbrella at the helicopter or they didn't kick in his front door and riddle him with bullets.

The system is moronic it's up to the new generation to try to correct these mistakes our elders have placed us in.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I'm becoming more and more a believer in an old saying:

"The more I learn about people, the more I love my dog".

We are in the midst of Morons. God help us.
    And all this time I thought I was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    In Spencer it wasn't just the manner it was also his "demeanor".
    You don't think carrying a rifle in hand while masked is a threatening posture? I consider myself a reasonable person... I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle near a school is warranting alarm. what are you even complaining about? the umbrella guy wasn't detained or arrested, he didn't have guns pointed at him. police recieved a complaint that an individual thought she has a guy masked with a rifle near her school, less then three months after guy with a rifle shot up a school. police responded, investigated, determined no crime had been committed, that the complaint was incorrect and left. That's the end of it. what complaint can you possibly have about that?

"Demeanor" is a subjective measure. if the Umbrella guy was in fact carrying a rifle with a ski mask on that's all the demeanor that's required. remeber the complaint was that the rifle was "in hand" meaning he was holding it, not slung over his back. carrying in hand is asking for the police to talk to you unless you're in a legal hunting or shooting area. Find me a judge and jury in this state who will find you not guilty of .270 for carrying a rifle, masked, near a school.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

They locked down schools, in other words they ensured that anyone with evil intent was certain to find rooms full of victims. They also took hours to find the fellow, so not exactly an imminent threat of violence. They used up how many hours of overtime and changed patrol routes on the basis of one phone call.

They only bright spot is that no one was shot and no property was damaged. This being the good news is rather disturbing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    They locked down schools, in other words they ensured that anyone with evil intent was certain to find rooms full of victims. They also took hours to find the fellow, so not exactly an imminent threat of violence. They used up how many hours of overtime and changed patrol routes on the basis of one phone call.

They only bright spot is that no one was shot and no property was damaged. This being the good news is rather disturbing to me.
    And if someone with a rifle had been near the school, and shot up said school the fallout would be enormous, there is no doubt in mind mind 20 more children dead and dying in a shooting rampage the AWB is back on the table and it probably will pass, along with other strict measures, certainly in Washington...

To criticisze the police responding in force to a call like that is just mind boggling, there's not even a valid complaint in any of this except how ineffective school lockdowns are... The report, if it were true, would've been a clear cut .270 violation, couple that with recent national events and the idea of losing our rights for good if we see a repeat in the next year, I fully expect the police to investigate calls like this and do it in force. you don't send one or two patrol officers to deal with a potential mass shooter who's reported to be armed with a rifle...

A story of police arresting or shooting some guy with a rifle in a ski mask next to a school will rate a 4 line story on the AP

A story of a school shooting will be played for weeks with dozens of distraught family members showing up with Obama on National TV and more gun advice from Buckshot Joe. and will result in new gun control measures. so the easiest way to understand what I'm saying is, lets pick our battles and not fret about stories like this where the police did everything right. it was a false alarm, but no one was roughed up, arrested, etc everything was determined to be incorrect and they left. The amount of overtime used is probably chump chage compared to the city budget, hell the uptick in CPL licensing probably more then makes up the difference.

I'm sticking by my original statement, I see no problem here.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    You don't think carrying a rifle in hand while masked is a threatening posture? I consider myself a reasonable person... I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle near a school is warranting alarm. what are you even complaining about? the umbrella guy wasn't detained or arrested, he didn't have guns pointed at him. police recieved a complaint that an individual thought she has a guy masked with a rifle near her school, less then three months after guy with a rifle shot up a school. police responded, investigated, determined no crime had been committed, that the complaint was incorrect and left. That's the end of it. what complaint can you possibly have about that?

"Demeanor" is a subjective measure. if the Umbrella guy was in fact carrying a rifle with a ski mask on that's all the demeanor that's required. remeber the complaint was that the rifle was "in hand" meaning he was holding it, not slung over his back. carrying in hand is asking for the police to talk to you unless you're in a legal hunting or shooting area. Find me a judge and jury in this state who will find you not guilty of .270 for carrying a rifle, masked, near a school.
    "I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle" where THE F*** did you come up with this are you sure you don't work for ceasefire or one of those groups.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    "I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle" where THE F*** did you come up with this are you sure you don't work for ceasefire or one of those groups.
    That was the content of the complaint the police the resulted in this story, a caller called into to dispatch and reported someone carrying a "military style rifle" in hand, in the vicinity of a school wearing a black jacket and a ski mask, this is all in the article in the OP. I didn't make this up. the guy turned out to be really wearing a turtleneck while carrying an umbrella, but that's not what the police were told, they were told ski mask and assault rifle. they had every right to investigate that allegation and secure the school campuses while investigating it.

A typical Tuesday morning for 42-year-old Michael Di Marzo quickly became a citywide multi-jurisdictional manhunt for him and what witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.
    Three schools were locked down and delayed as police scoured the area by ground and air, looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 03-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    From the story...

witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.

looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

what was believed to be something along the lines of an AR-15 or AK-47

Last edited by gogodawgs; 03-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

There are several just pi$$ing all over themselves to find something wrong on how law enforcement messed up again, really those need to check their own backyards first!

Did they over react after all the information was in, no not at all and if one child was harmed if it was an actually threat then the same group would be up in arms about how law enforcement failed.

The only thing that would have made things better if the one reporting it did not jump to preconceived thoughts of a threat.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    There are several just pi$$ing all over themselves to find something wrong on how law enforcement messed up again, really those need to check their own backyards first!

Did they over react after all the information was in, no not at all and if one child was harmed if it was an actually threat then the same group would be up in arms about how law enforcement failed.

The only thing that would have made things better if the one reporting it did not jump to preconceived thoughts of a threat.

Correct, there is some misapplied blame here... some in the thread are trying to blame law enforcement. However, if there is blame it belongs to the witness.
    Live Free or Die!

if there is blame it belongs to the witness
    Not the witness, but the kid who made a false report & wasted all that police money.
    Seriously...
    Can't tell the difference between wearing a ski mask & wearing a turtleneck?

I agree about the getting out of school & causing a commotion comment.

But I think this does say something for buying a non-black umbrella.
    Maybe we should require all umbrellas to be pink & flowery.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-23-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Over reaction or right thing to do?

I think the only thing the cops did wrong was bother the guy at home after they followed him there with the chopper. I'm sure they could tell by then that he was not carrying a rifle.

The punk that called this in either needs to get his eyes checked or get a good whoopin.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast