• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Over reaction or right thing to do?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Man carrying umbrella, not rifle, was on his usual route

CHELSEA KROTZER | Staff writer • Published March 20, 2013

A typical Tuesday morning for 42-year-old Michael Di Marzo quickly became a citywide multi-jurisdictional manhunt for him and what witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.

Three schools were locked down and delayed as police scoured the area by ground and air, looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/20/2469526/man-mistaken-for-wielding-gun.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/20/2469526/man-mistaken-for-wielding-gun.html

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
And how many pickups were shot up?

gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh !

The army must have swat teams out 24/7.

HearseGuy

EBU.jpg

Batousaii

So, all a kid has to do to get out of a day of school is call in someoe with a random object, say it was a gun... and Ping... and day out of school work.

- Seriously though, it is really sad how sheepish and jumpy the much of the US has become. What ever happened to Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave? ... Over Reaction?? -- Absolutly, we are training people to accept the police state mentality.

EMNofSeattle

Well if the news article is correct in terms of the police were reported to the scene of a man in black in a ski mask with a rifle in hand near a school then I do not blame them. As per RCW 9.41.270 affirmed in State v. spencer, it is illegal to carry a deadly weapon in a manner that warrants alarm. If carrying a rifle in hand wearing a ski mask near a school doesn't warrant alarm then I don't know what does....

now if the kid was lying when reporting to the cops then he needs to be prosecuted....

Maybe an overeaction in terms of numbers of officers.. But searching for the suspect and having SWAT on standby isn't a bad idea

Flopsweat

From the article:
At the end of the day, there isn’t a much better training exercise than what happened March 12.

Sure there is. A much better training exercise would avoid locking down the schools, telling the public that there is a potential madman loose and buzzing the town with a helicopter for a few hours. But never mind the peasants, right Chelsea? Gees, how blind can you be?

sudden valley gunner

Well if the news article is correct in terms of the police were reported to the scene of a man in black in a ski mask with a rifle in hand near a school then I do not blame them. As per RCW 9.41.270 affirmed in State v. spencer, it is illegal to carry a deadly weapon in a manner that warrants alarm. If carrying a rifle in hand wearing a ski mask near a school doesn't warrant alarm then I don't know what does....

now if the kid was lying when reporting to the cops then he needs to be prosecuted....

Maybe an overeaction in terms of numbers of officers.. But searching for the suspect and having SWAT on standby isn't a bad idea

In Spencer it wasn't just the manner it was also his "demeanor".

sudden valley gunner

Over reaction. Majorly.

Notice all the control the police have. Locking down schools, whining about kids and parents texting, spending thousands of dollars stolen from tax payers, still to take HOURS, to find their "suspect". A man carrying a black umbrella wearing a turtle neck. I guess the bright side is they didn't slaughter him for pointing his umbrella at the helicopter or they didn't kick in his front door and riddle him with bullets.

The system is moronic it's up to the new generation to try to correct these mistakes our elders have placed us in.

EMNofSeattle

In Spencer it wasn't just the manner it was also his "demeanor".

You don't think carrying a rifle in hand while masked is a threatening posture? I consider myself a reasonable person... I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle near a school is warranting alarm. what are you even complaining about? the umbrella guy wasn't detained or arrested, he didn't have guns pointed at him. police recieved a complaint that an individual thought she has a guy masked with a rifle near her school, less then three months after guy with a rifle shot up a school. police responded, investigated, determined no crime had been committed, that the complaint was incorrect and left. That's the end of it. what complaint can you possibly have about that?

"Demeanor" is a subjective measure. if the Umbrella guy was in fact carrying a rifle with a ski mask on that's all the demeanor that's required. remeber the complaint was that the rifle was "in hand" meaning he was holding it, not slung over his back. carrying in hand is asking for the police to talk to you unless you're in a legal hunting or shooting area. Find me a judge and jury in this state who will find you not guilty of .270 for carrying a rifle, masked, near a school.

Vitaeus

They locked down schools, in other words they ensured that anyone with evil intent was certain to find rooms full of victims. They also took hours to find the fellow, so not exactly an imminent threat of violence. They used up how many hours of overtime and changed patrol routes on the basis of one phone call.

They only bright spot is that no one was shot and no property was damaged. This being the good news is rather disturbing to me.

EMNofSeattle

They locked down schools, in other words they ensured that anyone with evil intent was certain to find rooms full of victims. They also took hours to find the fellow, so not exactly an imminent threat of violence. They used up how many hours of overtime and changed patrol routes on the basis of one phone call.

They only bright spot is that no one was shot and no property was damaged. This being the good news is rather disturbing to me.

And if someone with a rifle had been near the school, and shot up said school the fallout would be enormous, there is no doubt in mind mind 20 more children dead and dying in a shooting rampage the AWB is back on the table and it probably will pass, along with other strict measures, certainly in Washington...

To criticisze the police responding in force to a call like that is just mind boggling, there's not even a valid complaint in any of this except how ineffective school lockdowns are... The report, if it were true, would've been a clear cut .270 violation, couple that with recent national events and the idea of losing our rights for good if we see a repeat in the next year, I fully expect the police to investigate calls like this and do it in force. you don't send one or two patrol officers to deal with a potential mass shooter who's reported to be armed with a rifle...

A story of police arresting or shooting some guy with a rifle in a ski mask next to a school will rate a 4 line story on the AP

A story of a school shooting will be played for weeks with dozens of distraught family members showing up with Obama on National TV and more gun advice from Buckshot Joe. and will result in new gun control measures. so the easiest way to understand what I'm saying is, lets pick our battles and not fret about stories like this where the police did everything right. it was a false alarm, but no one was roughed up, arrested, etc everything was determined to be incorrect and they left. The amount of overtime used is probably chump chage compared to the city budget, hell the uptick in CPL licensing probably more then makes up the difference.

I'm sticking by my original statement, I see no problem here.

1911er

You don't think carrying a rifle in hand while masked is a threatening posture? I consider myself a reasonable person... I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle near a school is warranting alarm. what are you even complaining about? the umbrella guy wasn't detained or arrested, he didn't have guns pointed at him. police recieved a complaint that an individual thought she has a guy masked with a rifle near her school, less then three months after guy with a rifle shot up a school. police responded, investigated, determined no crime had been committed, that the complaint was incorrect and left. That's the end of it. what complaint can you possibly have about that?

"Demeanor" is a subjective measure. if the Umbrella guy was in fact carrying a rifle with a ski mask on that's all the demeanor that's required. remeber the complaint was that the rifle was "in hand" meaning he was holding it, not slung over his back. carrying in hand is asking for the police to talk to you unless you're in a legal hunting or shooting area. Find me a judge and jury in this state who will find you not guilty of .270 for carrying a rifle, masked, near a school.

"I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle" where THE F*** did you come up with this are you sure you don't work for ceasefire or one of those groups.

EMNofSeattle

"I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle" where THE F*** did you come up with this are you sure you don't work for ceasefire or one of those groups.

That was the content of the complaint the police the resulted in this story, a caller called into to dispatch and reported someone carrying a "military style rifle" in hand, in the vicinity of a school wearing a black jacket and a ski mask, this is all in the article in the OP. I didn't make this up. the guy turned out to be really wearing a turtleneck while carrying an umbrella, but that's not what the police were told, they were told ski mask and assault rifle. they had every right to investigate that allegation and secure the school campuses while investigating it.

A typical Tuesday morning for 42-year-old Michael Di Marzo quickly became a citywide multi-jurisdictional manhunt for him and what witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.
Three schools were locked down and delayed as police scoured the area by ground and air, looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.
Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/...wielding-gun.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/...wielding-gun.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Last edited: