• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Over reaction or right thing to do?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
"I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle" where THE F*** did you come up with this are you sure you don't work for ceasefire or one of those groups.

From the story...

witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.

looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

what was believed to be something along the lines of an AR-15 or AK-47

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/03/...wielding-gun.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There are several just pi$$ing all over themselves to find something wrong on how law enforcement messed up again, really those need to check their own backyards first!

Did they over react after all the information was in, no not at all and if one child was harmed if it was an actually threat then the same group would be up in arms about how law enforcement failed.

The only thing that would have made things better if the one reporting it did not jump to preconceived thoughts of a threat.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There are several just pi$$ing all over themselves to find something wrong on how law enforcement messed up again, really those need to check their own backyards first!

Did they over react after all the information was in, no not at all and if one child was harmed if it was an actually threat then the same group would be up in arms about how law enforcement failed.

The only thing that would have made things better if the one reporting it did not jump to preconceived thoughts of a threat.

Correct, there is some misapplied blame here... some in the thread are trying to blame law enforcement. However, if there is blame it belongs to the witness.

MKEgal

if there is blame it belongs to the witness
Not the witness, but the kid who made a false report & wasted all that police money.
Seriously...
Can't tell the difference between wearing a ski mask & wearing a turtleneck?

I agree about the getting out of school & causing a commotion comment.

But I think this does say something for buying a non-black umbrella. :rolleyes:
Maybe we should require all umbrellas to be pink & flowery.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

I think the only thing the cops did wrong was bother the guy at home after they followed him there with the chopper. I'm sure they could tell by then that he was not carrying a rifle.

The punk that called this in either needs to get his eyes checked or get a good whoopin.

KBCraig

Correct, there is some misapplied blame here... some in the thread are trying to blame law enforcement. However, if there is blame it belongs to the witness.

The greater blame lies with those who are indoctrinating kids in "see something, say something", even if they only think they might have seen something. The multiple reports of "assault umbrellas" around the country indicate that people are eager for the chance to "say something", even if they didn't actually see something.

And guess where those campaigns start? Right: law enforcement agencies.

sudden valley gunner

Your title is over reaction. Yes it was an over reaction by the cops.

This locking down school and taking control is not an aspect of a free society.

sudden valley gunner

LOL.....yes because people don't like gestapo like tactics of the police they must be criminals.......that is a sick.

sudden valley gunner

You don't think carrying a rifle in hand while masked is a threatening posture? I consider myself a reasonable person... I think ski-masked and carrying an AK style rifle near a school is warranting alarm. what are you even complaining about? the umbrella guy wasn't detained or arrested, he didn't have guns pointed at him. police recieved a complaint that an individual thought she has a guy masked with a rifle near her school, less then three months after guy with a rifle shot up a school. police responded, investigated, determined no crime had been committed, that the complaint was incorrect and left. That's the end of it. what complaint can you possibly have about that?

"Demeanor" is a subjective measure. if the Umbrella guy was in fact carrying a rifle with a ski mask on that's all the demeanor that's required. remeber the complaint was that the rifle was "in hand" meaning he was holding it, not slung over his back. carrying in hand is asking for the police to talk to you unless you're in a legal hunting or shooting area. Find me a judge and jury in this state who will find you not guilty of .270 for carrying a rifle, masked, near a school.

Pay attention. He wasn't carrying a rifle, he wasn't wearing a ski mask, he wasn't warranting alarm. I am complaining about the overreaction of cops. The guy is lucky he didn't get shot because some punk "thought" he saw something scary.

Demeanor has nothing to do with rifle or clothing......

Ajetpilot

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Your title is over reaction. Yes it was an over reaction by the cops.

This locking down school and taking control is not an aspect of a free society.

LOL.....yes because people don't like gestapo like tactics of the police they must be criminals.......that is a sick.

Pay attention. He wasn't carrying a rifle, he wasn't wearing a ski mask, he wasn't warranting alarm. I am complaining about the overreaction of cops. The guy is lucky he didn't get shot because some punk "thought" he saw something scary.

Demeanor has nothing to do with rifle or clothing......

From our resident government in general hater.:rolleyes:

DamonK

I see nothing wrong with an officer driving by to confirm whether or not the guy was a threat. But it wouldn't take more than that to see if someone is carrying a rifle versus an umbrella and if they're wearing a ski mask or not. Why in the hell they could feel the need to follow him in a helicopter is beyond me. It's just the result of us living under a soft Martial Law. Don't believe me? Then answer me this... Why has our law enforcement community taken the words "protect and serve" off their cars for the most part? And why are they all carrying tactical gear?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

bmg50cal

Time to gunbrella up and go for walks in the rain "around" "institutions."

http://www.coolstuffexpress.com/gunbrella-gun-umbrella.html

the-gunbrella-28402-1301508244-20.jpg

http://gadget.brando.com/the-rifle-umbrella_p01607c038d001.html

Gunbrella.png

sudden valley gunner

From our resident government in general hater.:rolleyes:

So do you have a counter point? Or just continue your love of the police state? :rolleyes:

Border line martial law, and you seem just fine with that....

I saw a movie once similar to this.....it was called Schindler's list.......

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I see nothing wrong with an officer driving by to confirm whether or not the guy was a threat. But it wouldn't take more than that to see if someone is carrying a rifle versus an umbrella and if they're wearing a ski mask or not. Why in the hell they could feel the need to follow him in a helicopter is beyond me. It's just the result of us living under a soft Martial Law. Don't believe me? Then answer me this... Why has our law enforcement community taken the words "protect and serve" off their cars for the most part? And why are they all carrying tactical gear?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

You beat me too it.

Exactly drive by check it out. Locking down a school, mobilizing your militarized police force over call because some kid had an overactive imagination........just a way to flex their muscles.....

ron73440

The fact most people have no problem with this shows we have become dependent on the state to protect us from scary things.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

The fact most people have no problem with this shows we have become dependent on the state to protect us from scary things.

Yep and I would expand this to the fact that many people worship the state over individual liberty. I don't hate government I dislike their version of government, the mere fact they can't defend their position without personal attacks or trying to paint those who don't worship at the feet of nationalizm or statism as heretics, shows their true colors.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So do you have a counter point? Or just continue your love of the police state? :rolleyes:
Border line martial law, and you seem just fine with that....
I saw a movie once similar to this.....it was called Schindler's list.......
You beat me too it.
Exactly drive by check it out. Locking down a school, mobilizing your militarized police force over call because some kid had an overactive imagination........just a way to flex their muscles.....
Yep and I would expand this to the fact that many people worship the state over individual liberty. I don't hate government I dislike their version of government, the mere fact they can't defend their position without personal attacks or trying to paint those who don't worship at the feet of nationalizm or statism as heretics, shows their true colors.

Predictable, Wind you up and let him go!! Spinning like a top...