Thread: VA/OR Differences

VA/OR Differences

Newbie here! I have posted on the VA forum a few times and have been OC in VA for a few weeks now. I am mostly interested in the differences between OR and VA as I plan to move to Wilderville OR in a few years (retirement). It appears that the big differences are that in VA the State law governs OC mostly and in OR local governments and localities can (with permission from the state?) make and enforce gun carry regulations. To a Virginian it sounds crazy that one can leave home and drive into town an break the law just driving through... Is there anybody here that has moved from VA to OR?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    Newbie here! I have posted on the VA forum a few times and have been OC in VA for a few weeks now. I am mostly interested in the differences between OR and VA as I plan to move to Wilderville OR in a few years (retirement). It appears that the big differences are that in VA the State law governs OC mostly and in OR local governments and localities can (with permission from the state?) make and enforce gun carry regulations. To a Virginian it sounds crazy that one can leave home and drive into town an break the law just driving through... Is there anybody here that has moved from VA to OR?
    Well, there is one thing different between OR and VA, in OR some local governments (very few) have chosen to restrict UNlicensed OC in their Jurisdictions (ORS 166.173), you can OC everywhere else with no license required, and you can OC everywhere with a CHL. Very few restricted places in OR or WA.

Down there in Wilderville, you don't have to worry about anything with UNlicensed OC...the places that have chosen to restrict UNlicensed loaded Carry via ORS 166.173 are up in the Portland-Salem area. Read ORS 166 and you will get a good feeling as to what is allowed, and what is not allowed.

Also read the Oregon Pamphlet in the thread stickied to the top of the Oregon Forum pages. Lot's of down and dirty good info, listing of most, if not all, of the "ban cities", and references the applicable sections of the ORS.

Note that once you move here permanently you do NOT have to wait to apply for your CHL. Only legal aliens must wait. American citizens can apply for a shall issue Concealed Handgun License as soon as they establish Oregon residency.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.