Thread: UN arms treaty- March 2013

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

UN arms treaty- March 2013

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...#ixzz2ONLBQLiV

A link from a NRA news feed. The UN is meeting in NY until the end of this month.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) offered an alternative amendment that clarified that under current U.S. law, treaties don’t trump the Constitution and that the United States should not agree to any arms treaty that violates the Second Amendment rights. His amendment passed by voice vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Bwahahaha! What question is this that needs clarifying? See COTUS Article VI, Second Clause.

O, what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive!
    Walter Scott, Canto VI, st. 17.

Banned
    Treaties v. constitution ... constitution wins every time .... the amendment I guess was for the benefit of the other nations .. saying "suckers! You'll have to follow this but we won't!"

Constitution of the United States, Article VI, Clause Two

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Treaties v. constitution ... constitution wins every time .... the amendment I guess was for the benefit of the other nations .. saying "suckers! You'll have to follow this but we won't!"
    This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. From Latin nōn obstante ("not standing")

Strict construction of the Second Amendment is demanded but not of the text of the Constitution itself? Elections have consequences.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.

The USA need to leave the UN and kick these tyrants out of our country.
    Last edited by zack991; 03-24-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    The USA need to leave the UN and kick these tyrants out of our country.
    Yea, I agree and take that tyrant obama with them and all the other libtard treasonist tyrants, bloomberg ect.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    A post by senator Jim Inhofe.

"The U.N. Arms Trade Treaty that just passed in the General Assembly today would require the United States to implement gun-control legislation as required by the treaty, which could supersede the laws our elected officials have already put into place. Recently 53 Senators went on the record voting in favor of my amendment to stop the State Department from negotiating this treaty. It's time the Obama Administration recognizes it is already a non-starter, and Americans will not stand for internationalists limiting and infringing upon their Constitutional rights. Furthermore, this treaty could also disrupt diplomatic and national security efforts by preventing our government from assisting allies like Taiwan, South Korea, or Israel when they require assistance. I will continue to work with my colleagues Sens. Moran, Manchin, and others to ensure the American people's voices are heard and that this treaty is not ratified."

So, is this thing going to be shoved down our throats????
    Last edited by self preservation; 04-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

And again we miss the insidious under belly of the story that the media is trying to deflect away from. Whether the US adopts the treaty or not is irrelevant. Any country that adopts the treaty is required to alter it's law to adopt strict gun control. And because this is a "trade" treaty, it will mean countries will not be allowed to export firearms to certain countries. Now, the UN doesn't like the idea of a populace that can defend itself and so it can simply define that "assault weapons of mass nuclear destruction and death of a million people a second" (what we like to call sporting rifles) are no longer legal to be transported to any other country except to the LEO or military. Take for instance Glock. Austrian company. If the UN decides that the export of Semi-Auto (which it basically already did in the treaty) is bad, no more Glock in the US. You want to change Glock to any other brand. H&K? Sig Sauer? And of the shotguns made in Turkey? You name it.

Ok, so the fierce made in the US guys will be saying "Good. I only buy US." Which is fine, but what happens when that Browning Shotgun costs $3000 for the pump action HD? Cause there's no foreign competition to keep costs down? It's not a done deal, but it's a real possibility of the future.

UN arms treaty- March 2013

HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    And again we miss the insidious under belly of the story that the media is trying to deflect away from. Whether the US adopts the treaty or not is irrelevant. Any country that adopts the treaty is required to alter it's law to adopt strict gun control. And because this is a "trade" treaty, it will mean countries will not be allowed to export firearms to certain countries. Now, the UN doesn't like the idea of a populace that can defend itself and so it can simply define that "assault weapons of mass nuclear destruction and death of a million people a second" (what we like to call sporting rifles) are no longer legal to be transported to any other country except to the LEO or military. Take for instance Glock. Austrian company. If the UN decides that the export of Semi-Auto (which it basically already did in the treaty) is bad, no more Glock in the US. You want to change Glock to any other brand. H&K? Sig Sauer? And of the shotguns made in Turkey? You name it.

Ok, so the fierce made in the US guys will be saying "Good. I only buy US." Which is fine, but what happens when that Browning Shotgun costs $3000 for the pump action HD? Cause there's no foreign competition to keep costs down? It's not a done deal, but it's a real possibility of the future.
    The foreign suppliers will then just do what everyone who's evading import/export restrictions does, they'll be shipping the guns in parts and assembling them in some warehouse on the east coast... Semi autos evil? So they'll become manual operation pistols, build sme hinkley mag that causes the slide to catch after every shot, then export them, then return them to original config when they arrive. Don't worry there's too much profit at stake for these companies to not find every single weakness in any law or treaty and exploit it fully.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    The foreign suppliers will then just do what everyone who's evading import/export restrictions does, they'll be shipping the guns in parts and assembling them in some warehouse on the east coast... Semi autos evil? So they'll become manual operation pistols, build sme hinkley mag that causes the slide to catch after every shot, then export them, then return them to original config when they arrive. Don't worry there's too much profit at stake for these companies to not find every single weakness in any law or treaty and exploit it fully.
    Oh I don't believe it will stop the importation the way they want. I believe it will drive the cost of firearms into the stratosphere. Glocks will be $1500 instead of $500. That kind of thing. And since the cost of the normally inexpensive imports will be sky high, the local US brands will be matching or possibly slightly undercutting them. So the M&P will be $999 now. I know, maybe I'm doom and gloom, but I switched from being an eternal optimist to be a died in the wool pessimist on November 6th 2012.