Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

Part of my job is to "inform and explain" company policies, so when I saw this in a training memo the other day I thought it bared mentioning, since it's completely different from the last time I heard about the subject (when drivers had more discretion about how to handle such situations). Notice they imply by omission that open carry is not actually legal, and any "known" firearm will get you contacted by SnoCo deputies. Might they be overstepping here by enabling the harassment of someone who's not breaking any laws, and is in fact exercising a protected right? As a driver I certainly wouldn't want to be a party to that, nor would I want to provoke an obviously armed criminal!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctpolicy.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	10159  
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Part of my job is to "inform and explain" company policies, so when I saw this in a training memo the other day I thought it bared mentioning, since it's completely different from the last time I heard about the subject (when drivers had more discretion about how to handle such situations). Notice they imply by omission that open carry is not actually legal, and any "known" firearm will get you contacted by SnoCo deputies. Might they be overstepping here by enabling the harassment of someone who's not breaking any laws, and is in fact exercising a protected right? As a driver I certainly wouldn't want to be a party to that, nor would I want to provoke an obviously armed criminal!

It will only take one law suit and that will change. I would hope that Snoco deputies would know the law if they were going to put in a possession to be sued.

If I worked for Community Transit I would inform them that this policy will get them a civil rights law suit (section 1983) as OC of an unloaded handgun is legal without a CPL, and loaded OC of a handgun is legal with a CPL.

I don't give a damn what Community transit's Policy is, I do care what state law says.

Ask them if they have ever heard of Rosa Parks?
    Last edited by hermannr; 03-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    It will only take one law suit and that will change.
    COMMENT REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate
    Last edited by John Pierce; 03-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Centurion

And the RAS to justify the LEO non-consensual interaction is ...?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    And the RAS to justify the LEO non-consensual interaction is ...?
    That's what I'd like to know. Is this analogous to a citizen calling police for an MWAG or a govt agent asking police to "inspect" an armed citizen ala Oak Harbor?

Although there is a training opportunity here, and you seem to be the guy to deliver the mail, Item number 1: says no "illegal" firearms.....this is part of the serial "dis-information" that GoGo refers to...

Technically speaking, I am not sure that there is an issue..... I think that with enough folks riding the bus "legally" OC'g, the bus drivers, SnoCo sherriff's and the bus line's route delay's are going to force the change...or at least clarification.... and a potential suit on the carrier and the LEO's....
    Last edited by jt59; 03-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Snohomish county, here I come.

I guess it may be interesting to test this to see if it is followed. I have a week off, might be 'fun.'
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post

I guess it may be interesting to test this to see if it is followed. I have a week off, might be 'fun.'

I want to party with you

Sounds to me there needs to be an open carry get together, stop by Starbucks and then head for different buses and take a ride, guaranteed it would be an educational day!

6 different buses with around 3+ riders armed openly at the same time, how would they handle that?
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-24-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Sounds to me there needs to be an open carry get together, stop by Starbucks and then head for different buses and take a ride, guaranteed it would be an educational day!

6 different buses with around 3+ riders armed openly at the same time, how would they handle that?
    Everett would be the easiest city to make that work in.

There is a major hub there.

Lynnwood would be a close second.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

handguns which are concealed are legal
    How are they going to know about them in order to:
    inform dispatch
    and
    complete an event report
    At least it says to continue on the route unless there's a disturbance.
    Wanna bet they'll include a disturbance by another passenger who's getting her panties in a twist?

ETA: And yes, it's annoying that yet another gov't agency is lying by not telling the whole truth.
    Sure, concealed pistols are legal. So are unconcealed pistols.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Everett would be the easiest city to make that work in.

There is a major hub there.

Lynnwood would be a close second.
    Note that Everett Transit (red & grey busses in Everett city limits) is a separate entity with their own policies & procedures...

If someone does decide to do this *please* drop me a line first so you don't end up on my bus, as I really do not want to be in the position created by this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Although there is a training opportunity here, and you seem to be the guy to deliver the mail
    I will try to make some inroads where I can, but I'm concerned I'd either make myself a target or (most likely) simply be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Technically speaking, I am not sure that there is an issue..... I think that with enough folks riding the bus "legally" OC'g, the bus drivers, SnoCo sherriff's and the bus line's route delay's are going to force the change...or at least clarification.... and a potential suit on the carrier and the LEO's....
    Trouble is, so few do. Over a decade of driving and I've NEVER seen anyone open carry on a bus (even back in PHX where "everyone" OC's), well except that one time I did a shuttle for 30 fully kitted out SWAT guys with submachine guns & body armor, but anyways...

Would like to get my ducks in a row before I start rocking the boat here (so I have something to grab at when it tips over ). To me, this seems akin to requiring police contact because someone is wearing an Arabic head scarf or turban, but is it actually crossing the line, legally speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    How are they going to know about them in order to: inform dispatch
    IIRC there was an incident a few years ago, from a poster on this forum, who had a cased Ruger rifle and was hassled & MWAG'ed by an ignorant driver. That led to the last training bulletin on the subject, which implied that it was the driver's discretion whether to actually call in or not.

If someone does decide to do this *please* drop me a line first so you don't end up on my bus, as I really do not want to be in the position created by this policy.
    So, wouldn't any negative repercussions from a driver following state law instead of the policies of a municipal corporation come under the heading of unlawful discrimination, harassment or wrongful termination of employment?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Sure, concealed pistols are legal. So are unconcealed pistols.
    Some people believe (incorrectly, obviously) that if there is no law granting permission, it must be illegal. They are somehow wholly unaware that that is completely opposite the way that laws actually work. There aren't any laws saying it's legal to wear underwear or possess a cellphone either, but oddly enough people who freak out over a lack of laws "authorizing" open carry don't freak out over their own underwear...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

Depends on the area. If it was in the White Center or Rainier Beach area of Seattle, the Driver would probably stop the bus and run
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    SNIP

Some people believe (incorrectly, obviously) that if there is no law granting permission, it must be illegal. They are somehow wholly unaware that that is completely opposite the way that laws actually work. There aren't any laws saying it's legal to wear underwear or possess a cellphone either, but oddly enough people who freak out over a lack of laws "authorizing" open carry don't freak out over their own underwear...
    But guns are scary. Underwear is 'normal' who in their rite {yes I know how I switched spellings} mind would not wear underwear?
    The law says that we cannot expose ourselves.... [/libtard rant]

Note that Everett Transit (red & grey busses in Everett city limits) is a separate entity with their own policies & procedures...

Let me know what routes you ride.

I was talking about Everett because that is a hub there. Many buses come in and out of there. I might want to go to Sultan...

I rode community transit 2 months ago open carrying, and nothing happened.

The 511 from Lynnwood, Ash way park n ride, big hub, to downtown Seattle.

I have ridden it 3 times total, open carrying and never had a problem.

Re: Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    I rode community transit 2 months ago open carrying, and nothing happened.

The 511 from Lynnwood, Ash way park n ride, big hub, to downtown Seattle.

I have ridden it 3 times total, open carrying and never had a problem.
    Isn't the 511 sound transit? Different organization from community transit...
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post

Correct. Sound Transit is a separate entity, the 510, 511, 513, 512, 535, & 532 are subcontracted for operations to CT, who then again subcontracts them to First Transit, a third private entity. So different policies all around.

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    You might be right, I'll have to check.

The cops do have a right to stop you and check your cpl.

They checked mine when I was at the Stadium Link Station a couple of years ago.

But they were cool about it.

The 511/510 are sound transit.

I've ridden the 510 more than 5 times and have NEVER had a problem.

The 275 though I was asked for my CPL once.

I just sent community transit an email with a copy of Metro's Policy and asked them to change to that, because it will be easier on their drivers and transit police.

I'm waiting for a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    I just sent community transit an email with a copy of Metro's Policy and asked them to change to that, because it will be easier on their drivers and transit police.

I'm waiting for a reply.
    Change to what?

We have no legal requirement to display our CPL to anyone but a cop/LEO/police officer.

Anyone want to go on a bus ride with me?
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast