• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

jsanchez

Isn't the 511 sound transit? Different organization from community transit...

You might be right, I'll have to check.

The cops do have a right to stop you and check your cpl.

They checked mine when I was at the Stadium Link Station a couple of years ago.

But they were cool about it.

jsanchez

I just sent community transit an email with a copy of Metro's Policy and asked them to change to that, because it will be easier on their drivers and transit police.

I'm waiting for a reply.

Beretta92FSLady

To get pie?

Quit that! I'm sitting here eating, and when people start talking about pie, I get real hungry.

We should meet-up somewhere near a Sno bus line, climb aboard the bus, make our way to a place to eat, then ride the bus back to our cars. First one stopped is not a rotten egg:banana:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If I worked for Community Transit I would inform them that this policy will get them a civil rights law suit (section 1983) as OC of an unloaded handgun is legal without a CPL, and loaded OC of a handgun is legal with a CPL.

trip them up even further with RCW 9.41.060.... take a fishing pole with you and carry loaded OC on the bus.

skeith5

I'd be down for a Saturday ride the bus meet up if it's within the next couple weeks. I'm running for city council and will be for knocking on doors on Saturdays soon.

Scott

Grim_Night

trip them up even further with RCW 9.41.060.... take a fishing pole with you and carry loaded OC on the bus.

Hiking boots and a walking staff. That way no license would be required at all.

You guys are thinking like patriots. :cool:

omg I am so going to do this on pierce transit! I just need to make a trip to walmart first to get me one of those collapsible hiking sticks to go along with my backpack that already has a 2 liter water pouch! If anybody stops me, all I have to say is that I'm heading out towards Mt. Rainer to do a little hiking lol.

Freedom1Man

omg I am so going to do this on pierce transit! I just need to make a trip to walmart first to get me one of those collapsible hiking sticks to go along with my backpack that already has a 2 liter water pouch! If anybody stops me, all I have to say is that I'm heading out towards Mt. Rainer to do a little hiking lol.

Don't lie.

Just say I am going out for a hike.

hike
[hahyk] Show IPA verb, hiked, hik·ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to walk or march a great distance, especially through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hike?s=t

So, any place where hiking is lawful and what is a long distance?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

[h=2]RCW 9.41.060[/h][h=1]Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.[/h]
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=80

RE: concealed / open carry RCW 9.41.060(8)
Dear Mr. Starks:
On behalf of the Department of Licensing, thank you for your email received August 6, 2011. I am responsible for firearm issues so your email was forwarded to me for response. In your request you asked for clarification regarding the definition of RCW 9.41.060(8) which is popularly known as the “hunting and fishing” exception to concealed carry requirements in Washington State. In your letter you ask if the exception in subsection 8 would apply if someone were to leave town to go hiking without a carry permit and carried concealed or had a loaded pistol in his or her vehicle.

The statute allows law enforcement latitude to evaluate each situation on a case by case basis. The scenario you portray could very well result in a finding of violation of the law. The case would turn on the credibility of the individual claiming the exception. The individual’s case would of course be stronger if he or she wore hiking gear and had hiking supplies, etc. The purpose of the law is to make personal protection available to outdoor enthusiasts, and not serve as an end run around the state’s regulation of firearms.
The Attorney General’s Office serves as a legal counsel to state agencies and certain elected officials and cannot, by law, provide legal advice to private citizens. It is, however, our policy to provide members of the public with information of a general nature whenever possible.
Sincerely,
SUSAN L. PIERINI

EMNofSeattle

I've used the "hiking" section of .060 to carry a gun, but never outside the state forest or state parks. Be careful with that one. If you're actually at your fishing site then that's ok, remember to have your fishing license though. same with traveling.

I can already see the next thread to be posted

"Hey everyone, I just got out of jail, some thug cop on came to the community transit bus, I had by fishing pole, and my gun loaded OC on the bus with no CPL. When the officer arrived I told I was going to fish, then that that officer demanded to see my fishing license, when I refused to show it he called a fish and game officer who arrested me for poaching and I got charged with carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle.... what should I do"

Grim_Night

The fact is, I wear hiking boots all the time, I have a backpack intended for hiking that contains packages of trail mix and a dedicated 2 liter water pouch with drinking tube and an externally secured hiking/walking stick (though the last piece is a new acquisition as of today. So... it would be kinda hard to dispute the evidence that I would be on my way to or from a day out hiking.

Is this an intent to no longer have to carry a CPL? Nope. Just a a way for me to have to get out of being required to present one to a LEO out to cause a problem.

Difdi

Don't lie.

Just say I am going out for a hike.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hike?s=t

So, any place where hiking is lawful and what is a long distance?

There's also Urban Hiking. You don't need to go to the woods to be engaged in outdoor activity these days. I'm curious what a legitimate outdoor recreation area is, legally speaking. A state park for sure, but what about a city park with a walking trail?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-urban-hiking.htm

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Why try and muddy the waters? Now it seems you have a few on track act foolish and possibly getting negative attention that may very well backfire.
For instance, I am not aware of any bus routes to local fishing hot spots or I am not so sure hiking around town or to different stores as an outdoor activity, aren't we above that yet?

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Why try and muddy the waters? Now it seems you have a few on track act foolish and possibly getting negative attention that may very well backfire.
For instance, I am not aware of any bus routes to local fishing hot spots or I am not so sure hiking around town or to different stores as an outdoor activity, aren't we above that yet?

Greenpooistrouble used to go fishing downtown Seattle all the time. I don't know if there's a waterfront on these bus routes or not but it's not inconceivable.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
Hiking boots and a walking staff. That way no license would be required at all.
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Well....not quite.... But I like the way you think :cool: