• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community (SnoCo) Transit policy: Have gun, will meet police

Metalhead47

Part of my job is to "inform and explain" company policies, so when I saw this in a training memo the other day I thought it bared mentioning, since it's completely different from the last time I heard about the subject (when drivers had more discretion about how to handle such situations). Notice they imply by omission that open carry is not actually legal, and any "known" firearm will get you contacted by SnoCo deputies. Might they be overstepping here by enabling the harassment of someone who's not breaking any laws, and is in fact exercising a protected right? As a driver I certainly wouldn't want to be a party to that, nor would I want to provoke an obviously armed criminal!

asset.php

Attachments

• ctpolicy.jpg
    ctpolicy.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 650

hermannr

Part of my job is to "inform and explain" company policies, so when I saw this in a training memo the other day I thought it bared mentioning, since it's completely different from the last time I heard about the subject (when drivers had more discretion about how to handle such situations). Notice they imply by omission that open carry is not actually legal, and any "known" firearm will get you contacted by SnoCo deputies. Might they be overstepping here by enabling the harassment of someone who's not breaking any laws, and is in fact exercising a protected right? As a driver I certainly wouldn't want to be a party to that, nor would I want to provoke an obviously armed criminal!

It will only take one law suit and that will change. I would hope that Snoco deputies would know the law if they were going to put in a possession to be sued.

If I worked for Community Transit I would inform them that this policy will get them a civil rights law suit (section 1983) as OC of an unloaded handgun is legal without a CPL, and loaded OC of a handgun is legal with a CPL.

I don't give a damn what Community transit's Policy is, I do care what state law says.

Ask them if they have ever heard of Rosa Parks?

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

asset.php
And the RAS to justify the LEO non-consensual interaction is ...?

jt59

asset.php

Although there is a training opportunity here, and you seem to be the guy to deliver the mail, Item number 1: says no "illegal" firearms.....this is part of the serial "dis-information" that GoGo refers to...

Technically speaking, I am not sure that there is an issue..... I think that with enough folks riding the bus "legally" OC'g, the bus drivers, SnoCo sherriff's and the bus line's route delay's are going to force the change...or at least clarification.... and a potential suit on the carrier and the LEO's....

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sounds to me there needs to be an open carry get together, stop by Starbucks and then head for different buses and take a ride, guaranteed it would be an educational day!

6 different buses with around 3+ riders armed openly at the same time, how would they handle that?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Sounds to me there needs to be an open carry get together, stop by Starbucks and then head for different buses and take a ride, guaranteed it would be an educational day!

6 different buses with around 3+ riders armed openly at the same time, how would they handle that?

Everett would be the easiest city to make that work in.

There is a major hub there.

Lynnwood would be a close second.

MKEgal

handguns which are concealed are legal
How are they going to know about them in order to:
inform dispatch
and
complete an event report

At least it says to continue on the route unless there's a disturbance.
Wanna bet they'll include a disturbance by another passenger who's getting her panties in a twist?

ETA: And yes, it's annoying that yet another gov't agency is lying by not telling the whole truth.
Sure, concealed pistols are legal. So are unconcealed pistols.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Everett would be the easiest city to make that work in.

There is a major hub there.

Lynnwood would be a close second.

Note that Everett Transit (red & grey busses in Everett city limits) is a separate entity with their own policies & procedures...

Snohomish county, here I come.

I guess it may be interesting to test this to see if it is followed. I have a week off, might be 'fun.'

If someone does decide to do this *please* drop me a line first so you don't end up on my bus, as I really do not want to be in the position created by this policy.

Although there is a training opportunity here, and you seem to be the guy to deliver the mail

I will try to make some inroads where I can, but I'm concerned I'd either make myself a target or (most likely) simply be ignored.

Technically speaking, I am not sure that there is an issue..... I think that with enough folks riding the bus "legally" OC'g, the bus drivers, SnoCo sherriff's and the bus line's route delay's are going to force the change...or at least clarification.... and a potential suit on the carrier and the LEO's....

Trouble is, so few do. Over a decade of driving and I've NEVER seen anyone open carry on a bus (even back in PHX where "everyone:rolleyes:" OC's), well except that one time I did a shuttle for 30 fully kitted out SWAT guys with submachine guns & body armor, but anyways...

Would like to get my ducks in a row before I start rocking the boat here (so I have something to grab at when it tips over :eek:). To me, this seems akin to requiring police contact because someone is wearing an Arabic head scarf or turban, but is it actually crossing the line, legally speaking?

Metalhead47

How are they going to know about them in order to: inform dispatch

IIRC there was an incident a few years ago, from a poster on this forum, who had a cased Ruger rifle and was hassled & MWAG'ed by an ignorant driver. That led to the last training bulletin on the subject, which implied that it was the driver's discretion whether to actually call in or not.

Difdi

If someone does decide to do this *please* drop me a line first so you don't end up on my bus, as I really do not want to be in the position created by this policy.

So, wouldn't any negative repercussions from a driver following state law instead of the policies of a municipal corporation come under the heading of unlawful discrimination, harassment or wrongful termination of employment?

Sure, concealed pistols are legal. So are unconcealed pistols.

Some people believe (incorrectly, obviously) that if there is no law granting permission, it must be illegal. They are somehow wholly unaware that that is completely opposite the way that laws actually work. There aren't any laws saying it's legal to wear underwear or possess a cellphone either, but oddly enough people who freak out over a lack of laws "authorizing" open carry don't freak out over their own underwear...

Freedom1Man

SNIP

Some people believe (incorrectly, obviously) that if there is no law granting permission, it must be illegal. They are somehow wholly unaware that that is completely opposite the way that laws actually work. There aren't any laws saying it's legal to wear underwear or possess a cellphone either, but oddly enough people who freak out over a lack of laws "authorizing" open carry don't freak out over their own underwear...

But guns are scary. Underwear is 'normal' who in their rite {yes I know how I switched spellings} mind would not wear underwear?
The law says that we cannot expose ourselves.... [/libtard rant]

Freedom1Man

Note that Everett Transit (red & grey busses in Everett city limits) is a separate entity with their own policies & procedures...

Let me know what routes you ride. :dude:

I was talking about Everett because that is a hub there. Many buses come in and out of there. I might want to go to Sultan...

jsanchez

I rode community transit 2 months ago open carrying, and nothing happened.

The 511 from Lynnwood, Ash way park n ride, big hub, to downtown Seattle.

I have ridden it 3 times total, open carrying and never had a problem.

skeith5

I rode community transit 2 months ago open carrying, and nothing happened.

The 511 from Lynnwood, Ash way park n ride, big hub, to downtown Seattle.

I have ridden it 3 times total, open carrying and never had a problem.

Isn't the 511 sound transit? Different organization from community transit...