• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are We All Equiped To Carry, And...

nonameisgood

I had this convo with my sister-in-law in December. She wanted to run out and buy a pistol because she wanted to assert the right to own a gun, because of politics. She was mugged last year, but that wasn't what her motivation was.

She is hand to mouth and this isn't food or shelter, so such a purchase is far from easy. She has a young son (and his friends are in the house frequently), so I told her it had to be locked up if it wasn't with her. I asked about her will to shoot people if needed, to start the thought process.

She asked for my opinion. I offered to take her to the range so I could get her started on the decision, and so she could try my array of guns to see what fit her hand. She ended up going shooting with a guy she knows who is "army, so he knows all about guns". I told her that might be a bad idea, but so it goes. She hasn't said a word about it since.

I'd like to take her shooting a few times and turn her into a gun girl, but didn't want her to run out and buy a gun without thinking it through.

eye95

The only delay I would have suggested would be just long enough to fire several different models at the range until she knows what she can handle well--then buy the same or very similar model. This would be consumer advice, not advice on the exercise of the Right.

AFTER she buys the gun, it would be wise for her to get some training before carrying it. But neither I nor the government should dictate this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

The only delay I would have suggested would be just long enough to fire several different models at the range until she knows what she can handle well--then buy the same or very similar model. This would be consumer advice, not advice on the exercise of the Right.

AFTER she buys the gun, it would be wise for her to get some training before carrying it. But neither I nor the government should dictate this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I agree completely, and add that the OP has no business attempting to dictate this.

DamonK

Back the the OT. My school of thought on this is simple. As human animals we have an instinctive fight or flight response. How ever over the years of servitude and brainwashing there is now a third response that has been engineered into us. To freeze. That response will get you killed. I believe that most people will overcome this though, when their lives are threatened. That being the case, I believe that most people would pull the trigger inspite of what hollywierd would have us believe. Not because they want to do harm to someone else, but because the will to survive is so high when threatened.

For me personally, I have had no hesitation in the past(granted I was in a combat zone). I also have the advantage of a considerable amount of training and experience in the subject. The thing I always try to teach folks that you don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop. If the attacker dies because you had to stop them, that's on them, not you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OC for ME

B92FSL Acquaintance: "What type of handgun should I buy?"

B92FSL: "Are you ready to shoot someone?"

B92FSL Acquaintance: "Sorry I asked."

A liberal once again goes right to the heart of a question not asked.

And no, not any monkey can carry a firearm......another liberal premise.

B92FSL:
I question their ability to draw their sidearm, point it at another human being, look them dead in the eye, and pull the trigger.
Typical. As a liberal you are quite content in questioning another citizen in their exercise of their right(s).

By the way, in self-defense situation look at your aim point which should not be center mass.

Beretta92FSLady

B92FSL Acquaintance: "What type of handgun should I buy?"

B92FSL: "Are you ready to shoot someone?"

B92FSL Acquaintance: "Sorry I asked."

A liberal once again goes right to the heart of a question not asked.

And no, not any monkey can carry a firearm......another liberal premise.

B92FSL:Typical. As a liberal you are quite content in questioning another citizen in their exercise of their right(s).

By the way, in self-defense situation look at your aim point which should not be center mass.

I never had someone say, "Sorry I asked."

But let's get down to it, here. You don't carry your sidearm to exercise your Second Amendment Rights. You carry your sidearm for in the event that SHTF, you can use it to shoot at whatever is threatening your life and/or limb with grave bodily harm. You do know that when you shoot a person, say, in the chest, there is a chance they will die, even more with each shot.

It's an complicated thing, shooting someone up close. It's just my experience, but, I was looking him in the eyes; mainly because I was attempting to get him to stop. When you're up close to someone, there's no aiming, there's drawing, then pulling the trigger.

It's not like your at the range, poking holes in paper targets. I'm a bit surprised you'd bring this up...hopefully you've incorporated instinctive aim into your shooting regiment.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

But let's get down to it, here. You don't carry your sidearm to exercise your Second Amendment Rights. You carry your sidearm for in the event that SHTF, you can use it to shoot at whatever is threatening your life and/or limb with grave bodily harm. You do know that when you shoot a person, say, in the chest, there is a chance they will die, even more with each shot.

It's an complicated thing, shooting someone up close. It's just my experience, but, I was looking him in the eyes; mainly because I was attempting to get him to stop. When you're up close to someone, there's no aiming, there's drawing, then pulling the trigger.

YOU do not get to tell people why they are carrying, or anything else, that is just ignorant to attempt it.

Beretta92FSLady

YOU do not get to tell people why they are carrying, or anything else, that is just ignorant to attempt it.

I never stated that any person should tell people why they ought to carry.

When someone comes to me, and asks me for advice, they're going to get my humble opinion. And my humble opinion is that if you aren't willing to use your sidearm for it's intended purpose when carrying it, then you ought not be carrying it; it's dangerous, and irresponsible, and it not only has a potential impact on the carrier, but every person in the vicinity.

Let me guess, you disagree? :p:shocker:

BTW, your post has a certain irony in it, don't you think. You're telling me not to tell people what to do, by telling me that I don't get to do it. First, I do get to do it, if I'm asked for advice on the matter. Second, there's no way you could stop me from offering my advice.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It's not like your at the range, poking holes in paper targets. I'm a bit surprised you'd bring this up...hopefully you've incorporated instinctive aim into your shooting regiment.
Let's get down to it, YOU do not get to decide for people anything at all. I know it must bug the holy poo poo out of you that people have free will, and this is not yet a communist country, but that is just the way it is. Maybe they would let you tell people what to do if you move to Cuba.

But while you are here I think the sentiment "bugger off" fits.

Beretta92FSLady

Let's get down to it, YOU do not get to decide for people anything at all. I know it must bug the holy poo poo out of you that people have free will, and this is not yet a communist country, but that is just the way it is. Maybe they would let you tell people what to do if you move to Cuba.

But while you are here I think the sentiment "bugger off" fits.

I didn't state that I wanted to, or think I should decide anything for any person.

People have a degree of so-called Free-will, but let's not get into that, please.

Cuba does have free healthcare:rolleyes:

WalkingWolf

I didn't state that I wanted to, or think I should decide anything for any person.

People have a degree of so-called Free-will, but let's not get into that, please.

Cuba does have free healthcare:rolleyes:

You have been attempting to tell others what to do from the beginning of this thread to the present. It is clear in your posts, and now you are trying to tell me what not to get into.

Beretta92FSLady

You have been attempting to tell others what to do from the beginning of this thread to the present. It is clear in your posts, and now you are trying to tell me what not to get into.

I'm telling you to shut your pie-hole, pal:banana: Are you going to shut it, now that I just told you too?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'm telling you to shut your pie-hole, pal:banana: Are you going to shut it, now that I just told you too?

Nope, I am going to tell you to bugger off, but that does not change that you are constantly telling people what to do. It is not your call, hopefully that bugs the liberal out of you.

Beretta92FSLady

Nope, I am going to tell you to bugger off, but that does not change that you are constantly telling people what to do. It is not your call, hopefully that bugs the liberal out of you.

I'm obviously bugging the Freedom grubbing Liberty clinging Conservative out of you.:p

You, bugger off, if you're not already!

OC for ME

Again, you evade the point, and answer the question not asked. You have no idea why I carry a firearm and your liberalness compels you to publicly articulate, as fact, that which you can not know is in fact a fact.

My carrying may very well be for the specific purpose of exercising my enumerated 2A right. Exercising that specific enumerated right has additional benefits, this goes without question, and the benefits are not relegated to self-defense alone. Believe it or not, some states permit a citizen to carry a pistol for the lawful pursuit of game. heck, some citizens only "carry" a pistol for the purposes of target shooting. The variations are not boundless but there are several that have nothing to do with self-defense.

Your anti-liberty and anti-citizen mindset is quite evident in your posts. Being the good liberal that you are compels you to only frame your arguments in false premises and to narrowly define issues into terms that only benefit you. To do otherwise would expose your ideas as the claptrap that they are.

WalkingWolf

Again, you evade the point, and answer the question not asked. You have no idea why I carry a firearm and your liberalness compels you to publicly articulate, as fact, that which you can not know is in fact a fact.

My carrying may very well be for the specific purpose of exercising my enumerated 2A right. Exercising that specific enumerated right has additional benefits, this goes without question, and the benefits are not relegated to self-defense alone. Believe it or not, some states permit a citizen to carry a pistol for the lawful pursuit of game. heck, some citizens only "carry" a pistol for the purposes of target shooting. The variations are not boundless but there are several that have nothing to do with self-defense.

Your anti-liberty and anti-citizen mindset is quite evident in your posts. Being the good liberal that you are compels you to only frame your arguments in false premises and to narrowly define issues into terms that only benefit you. To do otherwise would expose your ideas as the claptrap that they are.

+1

bbMurphy

Huzzah!

I'm newly registered to this board but have been following it for quite some time. I just couldn't let OC's reply go without a resounding +1!

papa bear

years ago one of my sisters said she would rather be raped then to shoot someone. then after a few years her husband went to work where he was gone a few nights a week. she started to sleep with a pistol on her head board and said she would shoot anybody that came into her house

i am a carrier and i never want to fire on anyone. i will do a lot to keep from having to do that. my firearm over the years has saved my life quite a few times.

better to have it and not need it , then to need it and not have it

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I'm sure there are other possible reasons why you carry a firearm, other than self-defense. Maybe you dig the phallic nature of it...I don't know.

We aren't talking about carrying a firearm to hunt, stick to the context, we are talking about self-defense.

What's most evident in my posts is that I have an uncontrollable urge to bounce posts off someone that would argue with a possum.