• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racine, WI alderman want special privileges

MKEgal

(AAARGH! Aldermen! Plural!)

They think they can vote themselves special powers, to go armed in city buildings, while everyone else (except cops) has to be defenseless.

Why do the aldermen need to carry, anyway?
They've posted the magical signs, so nobody (but cops) can come in with a gun, right?

PLEASE (politely) email &/or call the aldermen,
AND
attend the next city council meeting, WED 03APR, @ 19:00
730 Washington Ave., room 205

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/...cle_1741eb28-910f-11e2-9343-001a4bcf887a.html

Here's contact info for the aldermen:
http://www.cityofracine.org/City/Dynamic.aspx?id=1421

Last edited:

Old Grump

But he is important and we are just Hoi Polloi who have 911 to protect us.

Ow! My tongue is bleeding.

And again I think any legislator at any level from local to Federal who exempts himself from a law they expect us to adhere to should be recalled for abuse of their office. No excuses, no exceptions. Any legislator who proposes an unconstitutional law should be held accountable. Anybody who votes for an unconstitutional law should be held accountable.

Time to bring back stocks and public whipping. This is more than just a difference of opinion, its rot in government and they belong on the compost heap of decomposing anti American political hacks.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Reminds me of a Chicago alderman (they kept their RKBA when they outlawed it for others in the 80's) and he forgot to re-register his firearm -- the consul then changed the ordinance to allow him to re-register his gun.

Isn't that special.

Old Grump

Reminds me of a Chicago alderman (they kept their RKBA when they outlawed it for others in the 80's) and he forgot to re-register his firearm -- the consul then changed the ordinance to allow him to re-register his gun.

Isn't that special.

I was down there when that happened, nobody blinked because it was business as usual. More recently Alderman Ed Burke got caught with a gun he shouldn't have had but claimed he owned a private investigation company and was therefore he was entitled to have a gun. The agency didn't exist but that was good enough to get him out of hot water. His wife being a State Supreme court Justice may have helped. Seems kind of funny that he would need a gun since he has armed security protecting him and he is a leading ant-gun proponent. If he had been a Republican he would have been facing a judge and time behind bars for what he gets away with. Wonder why I don't miss that mess. 3

Racines Aldermen are to close to Chicago, they seem to think they have the same privileges of power because they are public officials and are targets. I guess they are deserving of more protection than the guy who owns a small store or a woman who has to walk in a bad neighborhood to get between home and work or an elderly couple living at home who are likely targets for house breakers looking for easy cash for their drug habit. After all they are important and the rest of us have 911.

GreenCountyPete

If they make special exceptions for themselves then they need to be made avg joes again, vote , don't even bring up guns , it's an equality thing and needs to be across the the board

fed politicians need to get their medical from the VA or at the very lease be no different in policy or plan than any avg joe fed employee , when the politicians are on the same retirement and medical as the janitor that they employ and represent then things can start to improve , but they see themselves as a ruling class exempt from everything.

state and local need to be on the same plans as the cop or the guy driving the snow plow

if the city clerk can't carry in a city building , if the janitor can't carry in a city building then no alderman should be able to , the alderman is there a few hours of the day the clerk has to deal with money and people , the janitor carries the keys to the hole building.

Interceptor_Knight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0usJCEUgWyM
Also, originally it was not 9-1-1 but 9-11 but folks could not find the 11 on the phone .

Those folks should have been weeded out of the gene pool anyway .... .

38ec0d5c185f4f2fca0a8303667a283f.jpg

http://www.911dispatch.com/911/history/index.html

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Good link .... also, did you know that fire dept.s were first created by the insurance companies ... you would put a placard on your property and if your house caught on fire, then the FD would show up .... no placard/no service ... they would let you house burn down if you did not have insurance lol

Ah, the insurance companies .. looking out for you...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Benjamin Franklin changed that in 1736 when he started the first volunteer Fire Department for everyone's benefit, not just the "fire club" members.

Not a nationwide idea until the late 1800s-early 1900s ...

In chicago, it was not until the 1960's that they got rid of the "insurance brigade" .. people to cover up valuables so they did not get water damage after the fire was put out ... separate from the firemen who were actually city employees...who went out on every call with the firefighters

apjonas

Not That Gloomy

USDVA Health Benefits are available only as a last resort. My application is means-tested every year but I am not destitute enough. The lowest three or four elegibility classifications are means-tested so that if you own a car you will not be eligible. https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/eligibility_check.asp

You should clarify that your VA benefits (or lack thereof) are based upon your particular circumstance. The VA is seldom the payor of last resort (Medicaid usually is). I don't know what percentage of beneficiaries are subject to means-testing but I don't believe it is the majority. I comment only because I do not want anyone to be discouraged from applying for VA benefits. I think you would agree that it is good policy to at least apply.

GreenCountyPete

avg joe fed employee = , the janitor , the security guard , the secretary in the typing pool , the mail clerk , the mail man , the sorter at the post office.

I have a few family members who use the VA , my father in law a disabled vet uses the VA for most of his medical needs before he retired he was a sorter and dock worker for the post office.

he also drove for the VA van service as a volunteer when he retired , every day would get to hear of all that days problems , and how many people waited all day to be seen.

my perception of the VA in Wisconsin is that they provide competent medical service but are overwhelmed by the volume of patients and lack of locations that provide certain services.

my view of the VA may be jaded by my father in laws regular complaining about them as he tried to help others get medical services as a volunteer.

other of my relatives used the VA and had similar complaints but were not there every day like he was.

it was my understanding that congress had a medical plan different and better than what veterans and other federal employees are compensated with.

but the point of my post is that we are all people all equal in rights and being elected unless the duty of the job requires that you carry a gun like the sheriff , should not give special benefits and you should most certainly not be able to grant yourself special privileges without approval of the electorate. an elected representatives job is not to give them self pay raises and special benefits as they please , it is to represent the people ,and should be of the people and for the people not a class separate from those they represent.

Last edited:
M

McX

Racine is full of "special people' who use, or hide behind their position(s) to engage in unlawful, or unethical activites. just another reason to move away.

and in some cases these 'special people' will move away, as being in proximity to their victims makes them uncomfortable.

Last edited:

benraines

Racine is full of "special people' who use, or hide behind their position(s) to engage in unlawful, or unethical activites. just another reason to move away.

and in some cases these 'special people' will move away, as being in proximity to their victims makes them uncomfortable.

More of your personal issues? how many threads are going to be locked due to you?

Helorob

I made my choice..

I cannot know what is in the hearts of those elected in Racine. However, based on their track record over the years, I have moved out of the city, moved my busines out (along with 40 + jobs) and avoid the city. I'll shop elswhere if possible and go to resturaunts elswhere if possible. I can't always avoid it, but I make an effort to put my resources to better use somewhere else.

No city is perfect, but really, officials want privilidges that I am to be denied :banghead:. No Thanks. Even if I can find a municipality that is just one step better (hopefully many steps) I'll put my resources there.

My 2 cents, Rant over.