• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Courts, encounters with locking up pistols while visiting.

1911er

While at the kitsap county courthouse the other day I asked if they had lock boxes for firearms. And the guy insisted on ID and then I placed the pistol along with my extra mag in the box he locked it I held my hand out for the key. He said they keep the key because if I lost it they would have to replace the locker. I reminded him of the state law and he told me If I didn't like the rules don't carry A gun.

Trigger Dr

Clay, I think my reply would have been, I do like the rules,for example RCW 9.41.300. If I have to play by the rules, you do as well.

Freedom1Man

Went to the Lewis County Courthouse with the Fiance to get paperwork for her concealed. Sheriffs Office is on the first floor just past the metal detectors.

Went in and got the attention of the security guard, told him I'd like to secure my sidearm. He walked into his little windowed office and on the table in there was a small 6 drawer Rolodex type deal in which were tags with keys. He asked for a DL and for me to slide it under the glass, he then slid the key to me and pointed to a set of lock boxes and said, "Number One". Unholstered from my serpa slid my sidearm into the box and locked up. Continued with the normal security screening then walked to the SO window. Took care of business, leaving was a breeze. No issues, the security guard was friendly and handled everything professional.

PJ

Why did you give them an ID card?

There is no requirement for the demand of it.

RSperry79

There is a "SEARCH" function at the top of the page, or, you could try the RCW 9.41.....

9.41.x I didn't see where it says I get the key and I haven't found the one where ID requests are defined as it elsewhere in the law. I'm not a lawyer so I could use help, since they also make you walk to the front door, then to side door to check in property, then back to the front door. Its a bit ridiculous that they treat us like criminals.

Freedom1Man

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;

I hope this helps anyone who has this question again.

jt59

I hope this helps anyone who has this question again.

....key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

It must be that at the Pierce County Court the Sheriff is the designate to recieve weapons, open a door for you, have you sign your name to a deposit form and not get a key...after you deposit your sidearm in the box and he locks it up.

comments?

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
", or "

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

Obviously I am not even remotely a lawyer........but I read it as providing a box and a key to you the weapon owner, OR a designated official to receive your weapon and keep it safely. Which I interpret as keeping the key since there is a designated official watching over it.

I do not see any wording that says the designated official even has to lock up the weapon. Just receive it for "safekeeping".

sudden valley gunner

Obviously I am not even remotely a lawyer........but I read it as providing a box and a key to you the weapon owner, OR a designated official to receive your weapon and keep it safely. Which I interpret as keeping the key since there is a designated official watching over it.

I do not see any wording that says the designated official even has to lock up the weapon. Just receive it for "safekeeping".

That's how I see it. I'm not a lawyer either.

ARADCOM

Snohomish County Courthouse

Went to the Snohomish County Courthouse today. Waited a few minutes in line to get to the security checkpoint at the main entrance. Emptied my pockets, watch, etc. into the little plastic bin. Told the security person I had a weapon to check.

I was then told to retrieve my stuff from the bin, turn around and exit the building and walk around to the employee entrance on the side (about a 300 ft trip). When I entered there I was met by a female Deputy who had been stationed at the exit pathway at the main entrance. She wanted ID and I asked why they didn't follow State law. She just handed me a form to fill out and again said they needed ID. I reiterated that it is not required and she then said to just put my name and phone number on the form and fill in the weapon description portion. I did that and she asked if I had a CPL. I stated I didn't need one since I was OC'ing and she said "Yes, you are."

She then opened a locker and told me to place my weapon inside. Because I don't like to remove my Crossbreed IWB holster I just placed my weapon in, she said I'm sorry, you need to put your holster in also, which I did. She then locked the locker and kept the key, giving me a copy of the form I had filled out. Then, even though that entrance is also a security checkpoint, she told me I had to exit and go back to the main entrance. I did that, and by that time (9:00am) the line was backed up at the checkpoint. After about a 6 minute wait I was finally in the building.

When my son was done it was a reverse trip, out the main door and around to the employee entrance. Told the security guy I had to retrieve a weapon and he called for a Deputy to come down. A different female Deputy came and I handed her the form, she told me to check and make sure I was getting back the same weapon I had checked and opened the locker. I told her I was going to undo my belt and unzip my pants to put the holster on, which I did and then holstered my pistol. She had me sign to verify I had my weapon back and told me to have a nice day. Her overall attitude and demeanor was cheerful and much better than the Deputy who checked me in.

Overall, it went fairly smoothly, although they do make you jump thru a few hoops. I don't understand why they don't have the weapons check in at the main entrance, or, after making you walk around to the employee entrance to check it they don't then let you proceed in thru that security checkpoint.

Other than that, another uneventful OC day. We stopped and had lunch at el Agave mexican on Samish Way when we got back, no issues with OC there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The jail is in the same building as the courthouse ill talk to a supervisor or someone higher up about it next time I go in

Just got this email from whom I assume is a Sgt at the Chelan County Jail.
"There are no weapons allowed inside the jail. Therefore there are no public weapon lockers in the jail, so if you are planning to visit an inmate please do not bring your weapon(s) with you.

Sgt. McCallister"

You can go back and tell the Sgt he/she is incorrect and well likely you are as well.
The jail is not exempted in RCW 9.41.300(b) though it is under

RCW 9.94.043 Deadly weapons -- Possession on premises by person not a prisoner -- Penalty.

A person, other than a person serving a sentence in a penal institution of this state, is guilty of possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree if, without authorization to do so, the person knowingly possesses or has under his or her control a deadly weapon on or in the buildings or adjacent grounds subject to the care, control, or supervision of a state correctional institution. Deadly weapon is used as defined in RCW 9A.04.110: PROVIDED, That such correctional buildings, grounds, or property are properly posted pursuant to RCW 9.94.047, and such person has knowingly entered thereon: PROVIDED FURTHER, That the provisions of this section do not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceeds directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly checks his or her firearm(s) with the appropriate authorities. The person may reclaim his or her firearm(s) upon leaving, but he or she must immediately and directly depart from the premises.

Possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree is a class B felony.

[1979 c 121 § 3.]

And likely they will come up they are not a state institution and they can read

RCW 9.94.049 "Correctional institution" and "state correctional institution" defined.
(1) For the purposes of this chapter, the term "correctional institution" means any place designated by law for the keeping of persons held in custody under process of law, or under lawful arrest, including state prisons, county and local jails, and other facilities operated by the department of corrections or local governmental units primarily for the purposes of punishment, correction, or rehabilitation following conviction of a criminal offense.

(2) For the purposes of RCW 9.94.043 and 9.94.045, "state correctional institution" means all state correctional facilities under the supervision of the secretary of the department of corrections used solely for the purpose of confinement of convicted felons.

[1995 c 314 § 6; 1992 c 7 § 21; 1985 c 350 § 3; 1979 c 121 § 6.]

Last year I went through this at the Yakima County Jail, after bickering and persistence they now have a place to secure your weapon.

Last edited:

hermannr

Just got this email from whom I assume is a Sgt at the Chelan County Jail.

"There are no weapons allowed inside the jail. Therefore there are no public weapon lockers in the jail, so if you are planning to visit an inmate please do not bring your weapon(s) with you.

Sgt. McCallister"

Actually I believe the law states that weapons are not allowed in the SECURE areas of a jail or MHF...No? RCW 9.41.300(1)(a)

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Actually I believe the law states that weapons are not allowed in the SECURE areas of a jail or MHF...No? RCW 9.41.300(1)(a)

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

Herman you are correct.
About 9 months ago I dealt with this very issue in Yakima with the county and city jails.
They both now have lock boxes and procedures in place to
Comply with state law. The County Jail Chief cried pretty hard and resisted but had to comply.
I really wish those asking the questions to do a little reading as I have posted the info and links in this very thread.
When one confronts these situations do your homework ahead of time.

amzbrady

Does anyone have a generic letter to the chief of police of a PD about not allowing firearms in the egress of a PD. Marysville PD has a sign that says "pursuant to 9.41.300 No firearms allowed except for law enforcement", or something like that, I need to get a picture of it.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I had to visit the Pierce County building (property room) to retrieve a firearm that had been recovered (stolen 2+ yrs ago). I checked my weapon, without need for my CPL. I put my knife and spare mag in the lock box and was going to put my keys as well when the deputy told me to take the keys.
He said that if there was a bomb threat or someone pulls the fire alarm I would be stuck until the building was cleared and reopened. If it got cleared after business hours, I would have to come back the next day.

I didn't get the key, all I got was a card with the locker number.