• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

after transferring, getting name out of DPS data base associated with this long gun?

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
I understand this is off base a little but the legal knowledge possessed by many on this board may provide an answer for me.
Simply put, after selling/transferring a long gun on a face to face transfer in state, i do not want my name associated with it as the last owner. ( i bought this rifle at a dealer so they did the original paperwork)

I have read on other forums that it is simply a matter of calling DPS special licensing unit an advising them that the long gun originally purchased by myself has been legally sold/transferred and is no longer in my possession, nothing more.

- Any one have experience with this? Second, how does one get the printout of what firearms are associated with an owner?(want to check on DPS's work and accuracy if this is so)
thanks in advance,

davidmcbeth

Banned
here is one way in how they trace guns ...

They find a gun, it has a serial #

They call the manufacturer and find the distributor that they sold it to
They call the distributor and find the dealer it was sold to
They call the dealer and find out who the dealer sold it to (that's you) [if dealer out of business, then they check the ATF files for the dealer who sent in his books and ATF forms - forms sometimes kept forever, sometimes only a specific time period- depends on dealer]
They call you can find out if your sold it (if you want to tell them of course) & who you sold it to

So if you wish to get yourself disassociated from the gun...well, you can't (unless someone along the line lost their paperwork, which is not likely).

You can write DPS and ask for the records under a records request:

http://www.ct.gov/ctportal/cwp/view.asp?a=843&q=246648

These records are likely not available under the FOI Act ...

but when requesting the records you can cite both as grounds for producing the records to you

sidelinellc

thanks for the response. This brought something to light i was unaware of. After reading through that link and your info, i get the impression that our firearms are basically in a "registered" data base. And that data base, is shared with local agencies. The info shared in most cases will be inaccurate if i read this rite as long guns commonly change hands with no required paperwork.

Is an email requesting the info considered "written request"?
First, I'd like to see what there computer system states i may have.(quessing it's wrong from the way the system works)

Then, per the instructions in the link from DPS, i will be sending amended details basically saying some long arms are no longer in my possession and were legally transferred in accordance with ct law. No buyer info was recorded or was required to be.
Would this then be conveyed to local PD as well? a lot more questions here then when i started.
Thanks again

sidelinellc

update: spoke with Special licensing unit who advised me i can come down, show id and get a printout if i'd like. no problem.

then they proceeded to tell me i would have to fill out a transfer form with the new buyer if i want it out of my name????

Why is that i politely asked for this is not what i understand to be law and would like to understand it better? They said that's the only way to get any firearm out of my name. I nicely explained i followed the Long Gun Sales and Transfer Procedures for private sale, secondary long gun transfers (i. e, sales involving non-licensed people) are not regulate, and to my added trust, the purchaser posses a current CT LTC.

She argued the opposite and said figure it out when you come down here. I was calm, professional and had no hidden agenda but feel there not to be trusted after this phone conversation.
I'm printing out 4-193 personall data act and secondary long gun transfers (i. e, sales involving non-licensed people) are not regulated, info

Sorry to derail the current discussions on this board but apparently i opened a can of worms unknowingly. will keep posted

davidmcbeth

Banned
thanks for the response. This brought something to light i was unaware of. After reading through that link and your info, i get the impression that our firearms are basically in a "registered" data base. And that data base, is shared with local agencies. The info shared in most cases will be inaccurate if i read this rite as long guns commonly change hands with no required paperwork.

Is an email requesting the info considered "written request"?
First, I'd like to see what there computer system states i may have.(quessing it's wrong from the way the system works)

Then, per the instructions in the link from DPS, i will be sending amended details basically saying some long arms are no longer in my possession and were legally transferred in accordance with ct law. No buyer info was recorded or was required to be.
Would this then be conveyed to local PD as well? a lot more questions here then when i started.
Thanks again

An e-mail is considered a written request under our FOI Act, I know ... I don't see why it would not also be for other record requests. I have filed such requests before --- but my email contained a pdf with my sig on the pdf ... they likely could require a signed request (if I recall, DESPP did require a signature of me). The law says that the agency gets to make a procedure, so they may make any procedure they wish (up to a point).

Ask for "records"...this would include computer records ... I would also put a limit on any costs, if any ... or simply first ask for an inspection of the records ...

There is no "database" per se (in fact federal law prohibits such a database for fed agencies) under federal law. In CT, would the information they require be considered a "database" .. maybe...but its not a complete database by any means as folks who move here can bring their guns with them w/o any hassles.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616

Provides the requirements for a retail sale of a gun currently ... and has a link to the DPS-3-c form.

If you do not have the transfer information noted on the DPS-3-C form then I don't see the point of contacting them.

If you are looking to avoid legal liability regarding the gun you sold, then you could have done that PRIOR to the sale...
http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap529.htm
29-36L would have granted you this if you would have called DESPP prior to the transfer ... not that, with a long gun, it was required.

So, what's your ultimate goal in contacting DESPP about a sale of long guns? I think that you may be causing yourself some issues or heartaches contacting them after the sale...

The OLR issued out a short abstract this year of our gun laws:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0001.htm

Mind you, OLR reports are worthless in court.

Oh, and this thread highlights why I was bitterly opposed to the BR check bill that passed the Public Safety Committee - and I told my legislator that they are going to make people try to be dealers ... and it is just going to ensnare regular folks

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
update: spoke with Special licensing unit who advised me i can come down, show id and get a printout if i'd like. no problem.

then they proceeded to tell me i would have to fill out a transfer form with the new buyer if i want it out of my name????

Sorry to derail the current discussions on this board but apparently i opened a can of worms unknowingly. will keep posted

Not derailing .... you are not required to do anything about the long gun sale ... as you know.

The old "can-o-worms" ... :) ya got that right but there is little they can really do except try to scare you .. but you know what's required.

I have not had too many problems with DESPP ... except for the time it takes to get records ... and sometimes of their lack of being open and honest ... I had one recently tell me that she wanted to record a conversation we were having and I said "OK" and then filed a FOIA request that day to inspect the recording -- and low and behold, they don't have this capability so no recording was actually made... I would have thought with my previous dealings with them that I can be a bit of an a**hole when they treat me in such a manner .. they should know not to lie to me as I always trust but verify everything I can ...

motoxmann

I'd just like to add here that you can not permanently erase all records of your original ownership of the long gun, because you bought it from a dealer and they are require to keep a copy of their form 4473 for I believe 20 years. and if the gun is ever used in a crime, whether DESPP has a record of it or not, law enforcement will follow the steps David listed above and you'll be the first person they contact about it after finding the record at the dealer (which can not be destroyed/erased).

personally, I think you should just leave things be with DESPP in regards to trying to remove your name from ownership of any specific firearms. trying to alter any of the records may raise a flag in their minds, which it seems it already may have, and whatever records they do have they can't do anything with anyway because they would simply be a record that at some point in history you owned sucha sucha gun. all it would allow is someone questioning you about if you still own it or what you recall about the sale if it were ever used in a crime and found.

just don't ever say "I sold it to someone in a different state as a private party transaction", because that is illegal, interstate trafficking, unless you can prove you had a residence in that state at that time. and remember, sales of handguns in CT do require all the paperwork and an authorization number from DESPP, so never sell a handgun private party in CT unless you follow all the proper procedures which DESPP does keep a record of.
this also means that if your name was attached to a handgun in CT that you no longer own, DESPP will have a record of the new owner and will know you do not own it any longer, assuming you followed proper procedure to sell it in CT.

I bring all this up, because if you say any of the wrong things, implying you broke a law, they may start an investigation and bring a whoopin your way

Last edited:

dogsandhogs

after transferring, getting name out of DPS data base associated with this long

As an aside, if you are a CT resident with a pistol permit, buy a handgun from a dealer in CT and then move to another state with the handgun, is there anything you need to do other than have the address changed on the pistol permit?

What if you want to sell that handgun in your new state in accordance with the new state's laws; does CT need to be notified in any way?

Rich B

As an aside, if you are a CT resident with a pistol permit, buy a handgun from a dealer in CT and then move to another state with the handgun, is there anything you need to do other than have the address changed on the pistol permit?

No.

What if you want to sell that handgun in your new state in accordance with the new state's laws; does CT need to be notified in any way?

No.