• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greenville KY park prohibits firearms

jaymack

Noticed this driving through on Sunday:

Greenville, KY
Brizendine Brothers Nature Park - Pritchett Drive across from Muhl. South Middle School
Large sign located at trailhead clearly states: "PROHIBITIONS:..... Firearms/Fireworks"

According to internet sources, the land for the park was donated to the City of Greenville by the Felix Martin Estate
http://felixmartinfoundation.org/aboutFelix.aspx

Further information regarding the park:
http://www.tourgreenville.com/Parks_and_Recreation_Day_Out_Ideas_Greenville_Kentucky.php

http://www.mcparks.org/Brizendine_Brothers_Nature_Park.php

park_zps4bd2dcc3.jpg

jaymack

The Morgan Memorial Park is located adjacent to the one listed above. At this time, it is unknown if the Morgan park is posted or not. I will try to check this out at a later date.

jaymack

To clarify - the question is: Does anyone know if this SPECIFIC situation currently being cited in a suit? If not what can be done at this point?

Last edited:

09jisaac

If you live close then you can always just go talk to the city and see if they'll change it without a fight or you could challenge it in court. The statute now allows for lawyer fees, I am sure you can find somebody to take the case. You might have to put some money down until after the ruling though.

It is past time these ordinances have been challenged. They have had years to fix it before the penalties have been added and now they have had months after the new deadline.

I don't know what happens if two suits challenge an illegal ordinance.

jaymack

gutshot -

The photo was taken Sunday 24 March.

I am having trouble finding OAG opinion on 65.870. I have the rest of the information that you suggested:

- KRS 65.870
- KRS 522.030
- KRS 522.020
- Both articles from the KLC

In your opinion, would it be pointless to speak with a member of this specific park's committee or a member of the county parks board - to give them a chance to handle this internally before confronting the mayor?

09jisaac

Check and see if it is backed by an ordinance or if it is just something someone stuck up there.

If it has an ordinance then you'll need to talk to the Mayor/City council to get it fixed. If not then just anyone who can take the sign down we'll be sufficient.

Let them know that if they try to enforce it then they can be personally liable for damages.

jaymack

Check and see if it is backed by an ordinance or if it is just something someone stuck up there.

If it has an ordinance then you'll need to talk to the Mayor/City council to get it fixed. If not then just anyone who can take the sign down we'll be sufficient.

Let them know that if they try to enforce it then they can be personally liable for damages.

Is it common for city ordinances to be recorded in the COUNTY court house, or are they normally only located in the city blding?

09jisaac

Is it common for city ordinances to be recorded in the COUNTY court house, or are they normally only located in the city blding?

I can't say for sure but I know that Louisa keeps a record of the city ordinances in City Hall. Louisa won't let you look at their ordinances without an appointment but if you ask them for information on this matter they'll have to get you that info.

Donica

Even without the signs, aren't you still prohibited from carrying here (without a CDWL) by the federal gun free school zone law?

jaymack

pm inbound

Does anyone know anything about the OP, jaymack? It appears that he hasn't posted on OCDO since May. I'd like to get in touch with him. Anyone that lives in that area that knows how to contact him or can tell me how to contact him send me a PM, please?

pm inbound

2OLD2W8

Down here in "Floriduh" the Gunshine State, enterprising souls use paint stripper to help the state agents permanently edit similar sign issues.