• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Considerations for e-mail and cloud data storage choices (yes, gun related!)

TFred

Ran across this article today:

Microsoft Cloud Services Locks You Out Of Your Digital Life, Won’t Explain Why

A user of Microsoft's "on-line" services found himself locked out for violations of their "Terms of Service." But as is usually the case, the provider would not tell him what he did to violate the terms of service.

How is this gun related? Glad you asked.

As we migrate more and more of our digital information to "the cloud," we also find ourselves more and more subject to the rules and ideologies of those who provide these services.

This particular user, while not certain, assumed that his violation had to do with a few pictures he had stored in his personal cloud space.

This story reminded me of my own experience with Yahoo. I subscribe to the VA-ALERT newsletters through two different e-mail providers, one of which is a Yahoo-owned e-mail account. I have been able to repeatedly demonstrate that some of these alerts do not come through to my Yahoo account, and with NO notice of failure given to me at all. The end result of my correspondence with the Yahoo morons is that perhaps the messages somehow violated the terms of service, but of course they refused to tell me what the offending content might be or how it violated their terms.

My solution was to subscribe with two providers, and hopefully notice when one goes missing from Yahoo.

The point of my post is this: As time goes by the issue of guns will always be a hot potato among some. As we choose to move more and more of our information services to the control of others, political ideologies that oppose our interests are one more risk to that data that we might want to keep in mind.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ran across this article today:

Microsoft Cloud Services Locks You Out Of Your Digital Life, Won’t Explain Why

A user of Microsoft's "on-line" services found himself locked out for violations of their "Terms of Service." But as is usually the case, the provider would not tell him what he did to violate the terms of service.

How is this gun related? Glad you asked.

As we migrate more and more of our digital information to "the cloud," we also find ourselves more and more subject to the rules and ideologies of those who provide these services.

This particular user, while not certain, assumed that his violation had to do with a few pictures he had stored in his personal cloud space.

This story reminded me of my own experience with Yahoo. I subscribe to the VA-ALERT newsletters through two different e-mail providers, one of which is a Yahoo-owned e-mail account. I have been able to repeatedly demonstrate that some of these alerts do not come through to my Yahoo account, and with NO notice of failure given to me at all. The end result of my correspondence with the Yahoo morons is that perhaps the messages somehow violated the terms of service, but of course they refused to tell me what the offending content might be or how it violated their terms.

My solution was to subscribe with two providers, and hopefully notice when one goes missing from Yahoo.

The point of my post is this: As time goes by the issue of guns will always be a hot potato among some. As we choose to move more and more of our information services to the control of others, political ideologies that oppose our interests are one more risk to that data that we might want to keep in mind.

TFred

TFred, I realize clouds and such are all the vogue the days. I don't have one and am very careful about pictures and video's I put online. The simple fact is they aren't secure or private and you don't have complete control.

I was at WaWa the other day and paid for sausage gravy and a couple of packs of cigarettes. I have a habit of having a couple of hundred dollars wadded up in my left pocket all the time. It seems to upset people and the cashier said something about it.

I said "You don't know anything about personal security. I keep my money in my left pocket and my gun in my right and a hand on each one".

The same can be said about computer data.

Mongoose72

I used to have a mail lady who never delivered any conservative political advertisements or materials, I guess she just threw them away. She used to give everyones mail to the wrong addresses too. Several people complained, the post office did nothing. When I saw 100 postal workers yesterday demonstrating on Lynnhaven drive I just laughed to myself; they have lived well for a long time off our tax dollars with 100% job security.

Last edited: