• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie theaters in Richmond and unlawful search

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hmmm... well, they still don't have any sign or notice and this is 4 years after those letters. You'd think they would have put the signs up by now. In either case I will continue to do what I do.... Whatever it is I do. =P

Good luck and enjoy whatever it is that you do.:D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hmmm... well, they still don't have any sign or notice and this is 4 years after those letters. You'd think they would have put the signs up by now. In either case I will continue to do what I do.... Whatever it is I do. =P

Yep...we got the don't come back with those things talk on the sidewalk.

I worked with Corporate for a long time but the final decision was CC was OK, OC was not. Much of that decision was based on advice from the Richmond cop working security and I did raise hell about that. I expect his jacket got big enough that he started keeping his opinion to himself.

Now that I said that, I was told not to OC my gun but I have been back several times and OC'ed my Taser, which is pretty near impossible to tell it's not a gun. No one said a word and as you said, no signs.

The don't ask policy is fully in force there now. I won't OC a gun because I was asked/told not to. I see no reason other OC'ers other than the ones present that night shouldn't unless singled out.

Don't ask though or they may decide to put up a sign.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry but I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing candy into movie theater. My conscience is completely safe. I just don't know how a movie theater can get away with charging $4 for a 16oz cup of soda and then try to tell me that the "one free refill sign" at the bottom only refers to the large drink and that "they have been meaning to change that to fix all the confusion." honestly, movies are one of the biggest scams out there (I don't even know why I agree to go.

Sometimes when we make the individual decision to disregard some policy or rule because it is foolish, or accomplishes nothing for the advancement of society, or just rubs us the wrong way, it is better not to broadcast that decision and one's intent to not comport to that rule or policy. Given that our opponent in the civil rights arena do come here and mine for tidbits that demonstrate how bad, crazy, and just generally not nice we gun lovers, we gun toters, we Second Amentment idolators really are, it may not be prudent to give them anything to work with.

What anyone does personally does not bother me - until that becomes something that is used against all of us, as opposed to the individual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZzNOkcEgM

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm sorry but I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing candy into movie theater. My conscience is completely safe. I just don't know how a movie theater can get away with charging $4 for a 16oz cup of soda and then try to tell me that the "one free refill sign" at the bottom only refers to the large drink and that "they have been meaning to change that to fix all the confusion." honestly, movies are one of the biggest scams out there (I don't even know why I agree to go).
--snip--

Movie theaters make a majority of their profit from concession sales. W/O that income being sufficient to cover expenses and turn a reasonable profit, there would likely be no movie theaters.

Do I like the high prices? No, but I think a majority of the blame rests with Hollywood, the cost of making the movie and getting it to the local cinema so that you have the privilege of watching it on a large screen - you're buying a distraction from reality. For that you pay the going rate.......one way or the other.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/movie-distribution2.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/08/smbusiness/q_movies/

architect

Movie theaters make a majority of their profit from concession sales. W/O that income being sufficient to cover expenses and turn a reasonable profit, there would likely be no movie theaters.

So what? It sounds like you saying that the "entertainment" that movie theaters and "Hollywood" offers is such a public good that they should be able to apply arbitrary protections to ensure a profit.

I'd never advocate that these practices be prohibited by law, but implying that efforts to circumvent them is immoral seems a little overreaching.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

So what? It sounds like you saying that the "entertainment" that movie theaters and "Hollywood" offers is such a public good that they should be able to apply arbitrary protections to ensure a profit.

I'd never advocate that these practices be prohibited by law, but implying that efforts to circumvent them is immoral seems a little overreaching.

Strange reaction - Don't read into my words, things not said. I never said it was good or bad nor made a moral judgement of anyone here.

IMO the problem goes to the high production costs, salaries, the distribution companies getting the major cut first, leaves the theater owners with having to find an alternate source of income other than ticket sales. The fact still is that without a fair return on their investment, the theaters would close.