• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. Border Patrol Uniforms Manufactured in Mexico

zack991

New Border Patrol uniforms, ordered in the wake of the agency's transfer last year to the Department of Homeland Security, arrived this month and some agents are not very happy: The new uniforms were "Made in Mexico."

"I'm embarrassed, not only as a Border Patrol agent but as an American citizen, that our government has decided to outsource the production of these uniforms with no regard for the safety of the process or the security of our country," said Joseph N. Dassaro, president of the National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) Local 1613 in San Diego.

"What system is in place to ensure that these uniforms are not stolen en masse or sold outright in Mexico to be used by terrorists, alien smugglers or drug dealers who could cross unimpeded into the United States?" asked Mr. Dassaro, a veteran agent.

More than $30 million in new uniforms have been ordered for the Border Patrol by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a new agency within Homeland Security that now oversees the border force. Homeland Security was created in March 2003 after the September 11 terrorist attacks on America.

"It's certainly not uncommon for cargo to be hijacked in Mexico, particularly in the many staging areas along the border, and the potential theft of these uniforms by the truckloads could become a major problem," Mr. Dassaro said.

Patricia Todaro, CBP's director of logistics, said the agency purchases new uniforms, along with jackets, shoes, hats and other equipment, from those suppliers from whom the government can obtain the best possible value for the taxpayer's dollar.

"Our contracts allow us to seek out the best value for the government and that means we use vendors who might not be located in the United States," Mrs. Todaro said. "In the end, we end up getting the best price and the best value."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/jun/15/20040615-121210-1166r/

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

70% of border patrol agents along the southern border hardly speak english and werent born in America.

I would say that at least 30% of BP agents are on the payrol of the mexican drug cartels.

I dont know why we even have border patrol agents in the south because we dont even have a border anymore.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
70% of border patrol agents along the southern border hardly speak english and werent born in America.

I would say that at least 30% of BP agents are on the payrol of the mexican drug cartels.

I dont know why we even have border patrol agents in the south because we dont even have a border anymore.

You paint a very unflattering, inaccurate picture of these agents and in violation of the forum rule #6

To qualify as a candidate for employment as a border patrol agent, applicant's must be under the age of 40, be eligible for Veteran's Preference or have previous federal law enforcement experience.

Candidates must also be U.S. residents and citizens, hold a valid driver license, and be able to pass a rigorous background investigation, including a polygraph exam, and a medical examination. In addition, candidates must speak fluent Spanish or at least be able to learn to speak Spanish.

http://criminologycareers.about.com/od/Career_Profiles/a/Border-Patrol-Agent.htm

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I see border patrol and other LEO uniforms in goodwill quite a bit. If terrorists figure out the thrift shop connection we could be screwed. Oh, we already did that.

eye95

I don't care where they buy them. They are using my dollars, so I want them to make wise use of the money. If the best price on high enough quality uniforms is from a Mexican company, go for it.

When we stop this silly "buy American" crap, American businesses and unions will learn how to make manufacturing in America more efficient, and jobs will "come home."

Don't "buy American." "Buy free market."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't care where they buy them. They are using my dollars, so I want them to make wise use of the money. If the best price on high enough quality uniforms is from a Mexican company, go for it.

When we stop this silly "buy American" crap, American businesses and unions will learn how to make manufacturing in America more efficient, and jobs will "come home."

While I agree with this principle, I worked for the federal government and saw a lot of contracts, some of which I helped write. Most had an entire section that outlined that materials were to be from the USA unless there was a demonstrable reason why it was a hardship to comply. That was some time ago so I don't remember the details, but I thought it was a federal law.

sudden valley gunner

+1

Eye you have been surprising me a lot lately with some very libertarian viewpoints. I know that isn't your reason but that it is just simple logic.

Even if the jobs didn't come home we will produce products cheaper and more efficiently than others can and everybody benefits.

eye95

I am not a libertarian. Please do not confuse me with one. I specifically and categorically REJECT that title and that philosophy. I firmly believe that the best way to ensure maximum Liberty is the one envisioned by the Framers--which is decidedly NOT libertarian. It is federalist and placed its limits almost exclusively on the federal government, leaving the rest of the sovereignty to the People and to the States, with the choice of how much authority the People ceded to the States a collective decision of the People. This creates a marketplace of Liberty and is clearly NOT libertarian.

sudden valley gunner

I am not a libertarian. Please do not confuse me with one. I specifically and categorically REJECT that title and that philosophy. I firmly believe that the best way to ensure maximum Liberty is the one envisioned by the Framers--which is decidedly NOT libertarian. It is federalist and placed its limits almost exclusively on the federal government, leaving the rest of the sovereignty to the People and to the States, with the choice of how much authority the People ceded to the States a collective decision of the People. This creates a marketplace of Liberty and is clearly NOT libertarian.

I know you are not, but I will point out libertarian thinking when I see it. The philosophy of libertarian is non political coercion, individual liberty.

zack991

That story is dated June 15, 2004.

I gave the wrong link, they just ordered 6-8 million new uniforms.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/us-border-patrol-uniforms-manufactured-mexico March 25, 2013

(CNSNews.com) - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has granted uniform contracts to VF Imagewear, Inc., an apparel company that relies on manufacturing sites in Mexico for a “significant percentage” of its occupational garments.

The latest contract with the company was awarded on Dec. 20, 2012, to make “uniform and insignia items” for the CBP at an estimated cost of $6,157,997.57, and a ceiling of $8 million.

The CBP, which is responsible for protecting America’s borders, told CNSNews.com that items from VF Imagewear, a subsidiary of VF Corporation, are manufactured in a number of locations, “including Mexico.”

“There are no domestic preference regulations or statutes applicable to DHS/CBP that would prohibit the manufacture of uniform items in Mexico,” the CBP said. “In fact, United States obligations under International Agreements require that the Agency accept items manufactured in Mexico.”

Currently, VF Imagewear has a contract for the short-term manufacture of uniforms and insignias, awarded in December. The contract is a result of the continuing resolution (CR) passed by Congress last year, which mandated the CBP to maintain specific levels of Border Patrol Agents, Field Officers and Air and Marine Agents.

The CBP estimated that it needed to enroll an additional 850 students in its academies to comply with the mandate, which would require 3,400 uniforms

Last edited: