• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from Michigan, questions about OC

Scooter

My family and I are going to be staying in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area next week. I was wondering if you fine folks could direct me to the right spot so I will know the dos and don'ts of carry in Tennessee? I have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) from my home state of Michigan. I plan to Open Carry as weather allows. I just want to make sure I am following all the laws and not getting jammed up. We plan to be in the Smoky Mountain National Park too. Thanks in advance for your help, we are looking forward to visiting the great state of Tennessee!
Scooter
Dundee, MI.

Ken56

I am in the area right now. As I understand it, ANY carry is by PERMIT ONLY in Tenn. I am from MI also and have my CPL but I have just gone undercover for our visit. Check out hand gun law web site if you haven't already. Don't chance ruining your visit just to be making a point. One is a lonely number. I have not seen ANYONE here carrying openly. It is a beautiful area here but be prepared for HEAVY traffic all along the main road (66/421). Seriously, I mean HEAVY traffic. The park is a national park so carry is permitted in it but don't go inside the visitor centers armed. They are well posted with the gun buster signs. I had to go stow mine in the truck as I had 'forgotten' it is verboten to carry into any federal building, including ranger stations and visitor centers. We are looking to move here so we are covering back roads and seeing alot of countryside outside the tourist strip. I love it here. You won't be bored there is so much to see and do. Have a great time

Scooter

You can open carry in TN with any out-of-state permit/license. You may or may not be detained by LE long enough to check your permit. How common it is and/or how much attention OC gets can vary.

handgunlaw.us is up-to-date on the off-limits and other info and laws in TN.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Thank's for the help, I will read up! (I was in the area about 3 years ago, wanted to make sure nothing has changed)

thedevilrobyjohn

in pigeon forge

My family and I are going to be staying in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area next week. I was wondering if you fine folks could direct me to the right spot so I will know the dos and don'ts of carry in Tennessee? I have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) from my home state of Michigan. I plan to Open Carry as weather allows. I just want to make sure I am following all the laws and not getting jammed up. We plan to be in the Smoky Mountain National Park too. Thanks in advance for your help, we are looking forward to visiting the great state of Tennessee!
Scooter
Dundee, MI.

i was told last night by two leo on bikes in gatlinburg to cover my holstered weapon with my vest. i wasnt even asked for permit as i told them i was from va. they said i must obey their laws and that most likely i would be arrested for having a firearm on federal property as i drove between gatlinburg and pigeon forge because it was federal land. i was told only leo can open carry or armed security guards. i know the federal info is crap, from what i read the open carry is crap, too??? any advice.....they seemed disturbed and the odasity of me legally in preparation to defend my family....how dare me

Fallguy

i was told last night by two leo on bikes in gatlinburg to cover my holstered weapon with my vest. i wasnt even asked for permit as i told them i was from va. they said i must obey their laws and that most likely i would be arrested for having a firearm on federal property as i drove between gatlinburg and pigeon forge because it was federal land. i was told only leo can open carry or armed security guards. i know the federal info is crap, from what i read the open carry is crap, too??? any advice.....they seemed disturbed and the odasity of me legally in preparation to defend my family....how dare me

Many LEOs seem to either not know the law or state their opinion as the law. There is nothing in TN law that requires a handgun be concealed by a permit holder. There is even an AG Opinion stating this http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2005/op/op154.pdf

You may want to contact the department these officers work for and reference the above AG opinion and let them know their officers are incorrectly stating the law.

Also as most know carry on most federal land changed a few years ago and follows state law as far as carry and method of carry. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf