Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop

Traffic stop

I seem to recall this being discussed but cannot seem to locate the thread. If someone is pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer take your firearm. Whether you tell him or he finds out. I have read where some people say yes and others say no. I am just looking for a point in the right direction as I am willing to do the footwork on the issue. Thank you and any cites are appreciated.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XDS45 View Post
    I seem to recall this being discussed but cannot seem to locate the thread. If someone is pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer take your firearm. Whether you tell him or he finds out. I have read where some people say yes and others say no. I am just looking for a point in the right direction as I am willing to do the footwork on the issue. Thank you and any cites are appreciated.
    Yes he can.
    They use the "Officer Safety" BS to temporarily seize the gun and will probably run the serial number.
    The courts have upheld "Officer Safety" so there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a locking holster that I can give him with the gun in it so he can't run the number, but expect a long detention while he argues and expect a ticket.
    Last edited by peter nap; 03-26-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Yes he can.
    They use the "Officer Safety" BS to temporarily seize the gun and will probably run the serial number.
    The courts have upheld "Officer Safety" so there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a locking holster that I can give him with the gun in it so he can't run the number, but expect a long detention while he argues and expect a ticket.
    A locking holster?? Please describe/provide a pic... I have never heard of or seen one of these.

Traffic stop

Ok thank you I have just heard so many horror stories of officers flagging people with their own weapons. And it really would suck to be shot with your own weapon because some LEO isn't familiar with that firearm and its safety features.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCop View Post
    A locking holster?? Please describe/provide a pic... I have never heard of or seen one of these.
    Such as the FAM FFDO were required to use.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...28054820080324

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23819887/

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Technically, they are not suppose to do this since the carry of a firearm is not probable cause in and of itself. However, it does happen on occasion. Unless they see your sidearm, they are not going to know you're armed unless you tell them, which is something that is entirely up to you since it is not required to inform an officer that you are armed. If they want your firearm object by telling them that you do not consent to them taking your sidearm but will not resist. Repeat this several times (good idea to record this). If they run the serial number and you know they did this, report this to their superior as well as reporting the fact that they disarmed you. Do not get nasty, obscene, or belligerent. Be respectful but also rather firm in your stance that you do not consent to their actions.

Now for the members on this site who really know about this topic, please correct any of what I just wrote since I am by no means an expert on this. I hope I got it pretty much right.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by AFCop View Post
    It's nothing special. One of those $14.00 fits anything, gunshow leg holsters with a hole burned in through the trigger guard area. I use a cable lock that came with a gun and couldn't find another use for.

I've been thinking about having a luggage clip added to the strap to make it a little faster to lock.

I use one of these: http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html

I expect no quarter and will give none.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I hadn't seen them Marco. That's a great deal considering the cost!

While you're carrying the pistol?

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

That's not a bad idea. But on a Glock per se you could still read the SN with the barrel still sticking out. The SN is on the frame under the barrel.

This may be a dumb question, but something I was wondering. Say your pulled over and disarmed for officer safety, your firearms serial number WILL be recorded, there's no doubt in my mind regardless of what you think or what's right/wrong and checked to see if ts stolen etc....

Could they then tie that firearm to you somehow in a sort of "registration"? Or at least make notes that you are always armed and to use caution etc.?

Just thinking out loud I guess...
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

I Wa State we are not required to inform LEOs when traffic stopped. That said, I listen to my police scanner to keep up with the comedy in my neighborhood. When vehicles are called in by LEOs, CPL (con pist lic) info is relayed to the LEO before he approaches the driver. My Sweet Baboo and I have been stopped (she concealed, me OC) without any mention of a weapon by us or LEO. On another note, if stopped when walking, my serial number on my weapon is covered with duct tape. Yes, I use duct tape on my every day carry. If my weapon is "taken" the numbers cannot be run without removing the tape. You must have a warrant to remove the tape(legally) or get a call from my attorney.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    While you're carrying the pistol?

Roscoe
    You've been with me while I was carrying, was my gun in one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    But on a Glock per se you could still read the SN with the barrel still sticking out. The SN is on the frame under the barrel.
    Really??? It doesn't work thay way with any of my Glocks ranging from the G19- G36 and all the ones in between.
    On a Glock all three ser# are covered. It even prevents the mag release to be activated, so they can't unload your magazines.
    The only firearms I have that will allow the ser# to be read with the life jacket installed have the serial # on the grip frame, some revolvers and the Browning HP.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    SNIP:
    I Wa State we are not required to inform LEOs when traffic stopped. , my serial number on my weapon is covered with duct tape. Yes, I use duct tape on my every day carry. If my weapon is "taken" the numbers cannot be run without removing the tape. You must have a warrant to remove the tape(legally) or get a call from my attorney.
    Here in VA we aren't required to notify.
    Many folks I know use DT, the officer could always claim the tape came/fell off.

SNIP:
    make notes that you are always armed and to use caution etc.?

Just thinking out loud I guess...
    Questions:
    Do you have a CHP?
    If you answer yes to the above.
    Is your vehicle reg'd in your name?
    When pulled over do you hand over documents with your name and PII on them?

While he won't have your firearms ser#, he could still make notes.
    The CHP has been a defacto gun registration for yrs.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Really??? It doesn't work thay way with any of my Glocks ranging from the G19- G36 and all the ones in between.
    On a Glock all three ser# are covered. It even prevents the mag release to be activated, so they can't unload your magazines.
    The only firearms I have that will allow the ser# to be read with the life jacket installed have the serial # on the grip frame, some revolvers and the Browning HP.

Here in VA we aren't required to notify.
    Many folks I know use DT, the officer could always claim the tape came/fell off.

Questions:
    Do you have a CHP?
    If you answer yes to the above.
    Is your vehicle reg'd in your name?
    When pulled over do you hand over documents with your name and PII on them?

While he won't have your firearms ser#, he could still make notes.
    The CHP has been a defacto gun registration for yrs.
    Its hard to tell how far past the trigger guard it extends. Here's my G17 for example.

Probly cover most of it but not all.

I don't have a CHP. Just wondering if there's still a way for them to tie your name to that firearm.

My solution would be to NOT say I am armed. But since I OC in the car they may see it.

Better yet, I'm just gonna mind my P's and Q's and not get pulled over
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

No, of course not, but since the whole topic came up when the Napster suggested giving the gun to a LEO in a locked holster if disarmed during a traffic stop, I guess that's my point. If you're carrying in a useful manner, how do you get your gun in a lockable holster before being disarmed during a traffic stop???

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    No, of course not, but since the whole topic came up when the Napster suggested giving the gun to a LEO in a locked holster if disarmed during a traffic stop, I guess that's my point. If you're carrying in a useful manner, how do you get your gun in a lockable holster before being disarmed during a traffic stop???

Roscoe

I keep one in the car... I choose when/where I pull over when I'm alerted to stop by LE for a perceived traffic offense.
    I don't stop on roads with out a generous shoulder or places that I deem remote. etc...
    I generally look for a parking lot with cameras.
    When questioned why I didn't stop immediately I give them the standard anwser.. "it's for officer safety, Officer."

Simple... unholster place inside and lock prior to LE arriving at car door.
    Now, I know some folks are too scared to blink when alerted to pull over by LE, I'm not one of those.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-26-2013 at 01:33 PM.

~Alan Korwin

I keep one in the car... I choose when/where I pull over when I'm alerted to stop by LE for a perceived traffic offense.
    I don't stop on roads with out a generous shoulder or places that I deem remote. etc...
    I generally look for a parking lot with cameras.
    When questioned why I didn't stop immediately I give them the standard anwser.. "it's for officer safety, Officer."

Simple... unholster place inside and lock prior to LE arriving at car door.
    Now, I know some folks are too scared to blink when alerted to pull over by LE, I'm not one of those.
    Same here!

Its hard to tell how far past the trigger guard it extends. Here's my G17 for example.

Probably covers most of it but not all.
    http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html
    Watch the video and you see the G26/27 almost disappear inside the life jacket.
    The gun pic'd is a G34/G35 and the notch in the rail is just visble, the ser # is behind the rail. So, how is part of it visible?
    Even, if LE can make out 2#'s of the ser# numbers good luck with that, how many different possible models/calibers etc....
    LEO: "Oh the last number of his Glock's ser # is a 2.. but what is the rest of it, what model and caliber is it?" "duh....!"

If you don't like the life jacket you could use Peter's way or you could just use any case that is lockable. There are many options, find one that works for your needs.

~Alan Korwin

"duh....!"

If you don't like the life jacket you could use Peter's way or you could just use any case that is lockable. There are many options, find one that works for your needs.
    Shucks....I just ordered one. It's a lot better system.

One could always keep a locking handgun display box in the vehicle.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    One could always keep a locking handgun display box in the vehicle.
    That would be too easy. Where's the challenge?

Sometimes there's no fun in easy.
    Warning Sick Humor Alert:
    It's funny to watch folks (idiots) look down the barrel to see if it's loaded.

I tried the carry case but it didn't fit in all my consoles/glove boxes, no longer an issue.
    That got me started in a search for something that wouldn't really increase the size of the firearm. I also like the fact that there is a metal version for those times when I have to leave a firearm in my vehicle unattended.
    I'm going to have one bolted inside the trunk/cargo area out of sight.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-26-2013 at 06:27 PM.

~Alan Korwin

Banned
    how about a trash bag? hilbilly solution

Shucks....I just ordered one. It's a lot better system.
    Not that I am really worried about some cop running the serial number of my carry gun (one is none, two is one, etc.) but keeping one from playing authoitay games does have much to recommend it.

One for the car and another for elsewhere (LJ-2 because Bigger Guns Save Lives). I like the keyed-alike option and will await finding out if there is a key sent with each as opposed to just one key.

Thanks for getting me to actually think about this.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

How about a locking shotgun rack for OC. A)It can be seen easily. B)It is not coming out without a key. Or if it has a solenoid and the switch is hidden well. Shame no one makes one for a handgun, or that I know of.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast