• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic stop

XDS45

I seem to recall this being discussed but cannot seem to locate the thread. If someone is pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer take your firearm. Whether you tell him or he finds out. I have read where some people say yes and others say no. I am just looking for a point in the right direction as I am willing to do the footwork on the issue. Thank you and any cites are appreciated.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I seem to recall this being discussed but cannot seem to locate the thread. If someone is pulled over for a traffic violation can the officer take your firearm. Whether you tell him or he finds out. I have read where some people say yes and others say no. I am just looking for a point in the right direction as I am willing to do the footwork on the issue. Thank you and any cites are appreciated.

Yes he can.
They use the "Officer Safety" BS to temporarily seize the gun and will probably run the serial number.
The courts have upheld "Officer Safety" so there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a locking holster that I can give him with the gun in it so he can't run the number, but expect a long detention while he argues and expect a ticket.

Last edited:

AFCop

Yes he can.
They use the "Officer Safety" BS to temporarily seize the gun and will probably run the serial number.
The courts have upheld "Officer Safety" so there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a locking holster that I can give him with the gun in it so he can't run the number, but expect a long detention while he argues and expect a ticket.

A locking holster?? Please describe/provide a pic... I have never heard of or seen one of these.

XDS45

Ok thank you I have just heard so many horror stories of officers flagging people with their own weapons. And it really would suck to be shot with your own weapon because some LEO isn't familiar with that firearm and its safety features.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Technically, they are not suppose to do this since the carry of a firearm is not probable cause in and of itself. However, it does happen on occasion. Unless they see your sidearm, they are not going to know you're armed unless you tell them, which is something that is entirely up to you since it is not required to inform an officer that you are armed. If they want your firearm object by telling them that you do not consent to them taking your sidearm but will not resist. Repeat this several times (good idea to record this). If they run the serial number and you know they did this, report this to their superior as well as reporting the fact that they disarmed you. Do not get nasty, obscene, or belligerent. Be respectful but also rather firm in your stance that you do not consent to their actions.

Now for the members on this site who really know about this topic, please correct any of what I just wrote since I am by no means an expert on this. I hope I got it pretty much right.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A locking holster?? Please describe/provide a pic... I have never heard of or seen one of these.

It's nothing special. One of those $14.00 fits anything, gunshow leg holsters with a hole burned in through the trigger guard area. I use a cable lock that came with a gun and couldn't find another use for.

I've been thinking about having a luggage clip added to the strap to make it a little faster to lock.

HearseGuy

I use one of these: http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html

I expect no quarter and will give none.

That's not a bad idea. But on a Glock per se you could still read the SN with the barrel still sticking out. The SN is on the frame under the barrel.

This may be a dumb question, but something I was wondering. Say your pulled over and disarmed for officer safety, your firearms serial number WILL be recorded, there's no doubt in my mind regardless of what you think or what's right/wrong and checked to see if ts stolen etc....

Could they then tie that firearm to you somehow in a sort of "registration"? Or at least make notes that you are always armed and to use caution etc.?

Just thinking out loud I guess...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I Wa State we are not required to inform LEOs when traffic stopped. That said, I listen to my police scanner to keep up with the comedy in my neighborhood. When vehicles are called in by LEOs, CPL (con pist lic) info is relayed to the LEO before he approaches the driver. My Sweet Baboo and I have been stopped (she concealed, me OC) without any mention of a weapon by us or LEO. On another note, if stopped when walking, my serial number on my weapon is covered with duct tape. Yes, I use duct tape on my every day carry. If my weapon is "taken" the numbers cannot be run without removing the tape. You must have a warrant to remove the tape(legally) or get a call from my attorney.

Marco

While you're carrying the pistol?

Roscoe

You've been with me while I was carrying, was my gun in one of these?

But on a Glock per se you could still read the SN with the barrel still sticking out. The SN is on the frame under the barrel.
Really??? It doesn't work thay way with any of my Glocks ranging from the G19- G36 and all the ones in between.
On a Glock all three ser# are covered. It even prevents the mag release to be activated, so they can't unload your magazines.
The only firearms I have that will allow the ser# to be read with the life jacket installed have the serial # on the grip frame, some revolvers and the Browning HP.
[video=youtube;wIxnYhuZKpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxnYhuZKpw[/video]

SNIP:
I Wa State we are not required to inform LEOs when traffic stopped. , my serial number on my weapon is covered with duct tape. Yes, I use duct tape on my every day carry. If my weapon is "taken" the numbers cannot be run without removing the tape. You must have a warrant to remove the tape(legally) or get a call from my attorney.

Here in VA we aren't required to notify.
Many folks I know use DT, the officer could always claim the tape came/fell off.

SNIP:
make notes that you are always armed and to use caution etc.?

Just thinking out loud I guess...

Questions:
Do you have a CHP?
If you answer yes to the above.
Is your vehicle reg'd in your name?
When pulled over do you hand over documents with your name and PII on them?

While he won't have your firearms ser#, he could still make notes.
The CHP has been a defacto gun registration for yrs.

Last edited:

HearseGuy

Really??? It doesn't work thay way with any of my Glocks ranging from the G19- G36 and all the ones in between.
On a Glock all three ser# are covered. It even prevents the mag release to be activated, so they can't unload your magazines.
The only firearms I have that will allow the ser# to be read with the life jacket installed have the serial # on the grip frame, some revolvers and the Browning HP.
[video=youtube;wIxnYhuZKpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxnYhuZKpw[/video]

Here in VA we aren't required to notify.
Many folks I know use DT, the officer could always claim the tape came/fell off.

Questions:
Do you have a CHP?
If you answer yes to the above.
Is your vehicle reg'd in your name?
When pulled over do you hand over documents with your name and PII on them?

While he won't have your firearms ser#, he could still make notes.
The CHP has been a defacto gun registration for yrs.

Its hard to tell how far past the trigger guard it extends. Here's my G17 for example.

IMG_20130326_123558_398.jpg

Probly cover most of it but not all.

I don't have a CHP. Just wondering if there's still a way for them to tie your name to that firearm.

My solution would be to NOT say I am armed. But since I OC in the car they may see it.

Better yet, I'm just gonna mind my P's and Q's and not get pulled over :) :)

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

No, of course not, but since the whole topic came up when the Napster suggested giving the gun to a LEO in a locked holster if disarmed during a traffic stop, I guess that's my point. If you're carrying in a useful manner, how do you get your gun in a lockable holster before being disarmed during a traffic stop???

Roscoe

Marco

No, of course not, but since the whole topic came up when the Napster suggested giving the gun to a LEO in a locked holster if disarmed during a traffic stop, I guess that's my point. If you're carrying in a useful manner, how do you get your gun in a lockable holster before being disarmed during a traffic stop???

Roscoe

I keep one in the car... I choose when/where I pull over when I'm alerted to stop by LE for a perceived traffic offense.
I don't stop on roads with out a generous shoulder or places that I deem remote. etc...
I generally look for a parking lot with cameras.
When questioned why I didn't stop immediately I give them the standard anwser.. "it's for officer safety, Officer."

Simple... unholster place inside and lock prior to LE arriving at car door.
Now, I know some folks are too scared to blink when alerted to pull over by LE, I'm not one of those.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I keep one in the car... I choose when/where I pull over when I'm alerted to stop by LE for a perceived traffic offense.
I don't stop on roads with out a generous shoulder or places that I deem remote. etc...
I generally look for a parking lot with cameras.
When questioned why I didn't stop immediately I give them the standard anwser.. "it's for officer safety, Officer."

Simple... unholster place inside and lock prior to LE arriving at car door.
Now, I know some folks are too scared to blink when alerted to pull over by LE, I'm not one of those.

Same here!

Marco

Its hard to tell how far past the trigger guard it extends. Here's my G17 for example.

Probably covers most of it but not all.

http://www.defensedevices.com/lifejacket-gun-locks.html
Watch the video and you see the G26/27 almost disappear inside the life jacket.
The gun pic'd is a G34/G35 and the notch in the rail is just visble, the ser # is behind the rail. So, how is part of it visible?
Even, if LE can make out 2#'s of the ser# numbers good luck with that, how many different possible models/calibers etc....
LEO: "Oh the last number of his Glock's ser # is a 2.. but what is the rest of it, what model and caliber is it?" "duh....!"

If you don't like the life jacket you could use Peter's way or you could just use any case that is lockable. There are many options, find one that works for your needs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"duh....!"

If you don't like the life jacket you could use Peter's way or you could just use any case that is lockable. There are many options, find one that works for your needs.

Shucks....I just ordered one. It's a lot better system.