• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic stop

All American Nightmare

The LEO will likely respond with a "Yes, you are being detained. I caught you speeding (changing lanes w/o signalling, running a red light, etc.)." WHEN he asks us again, "Do you have any weapons in the car?" how then should we respond?

How's the weather?, I think I saw you get beat up on cops, I wish Friday was here, OK, nothing, I don't know

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The LEO will likely respond with a "Yes, you are being detained. I caught you speeding (changing lanes w/o signalling, running a red light, etc.)." WHEN he asks us again, "Do you have any weapons in the car?" how then should we respond?

"Officer, no offense. I know you're just doing your job, but I would never answer questions without an attorney."

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"Officer, no offense. I know you're just doing your job, but I would never answer questions without an attorney."

LALALALALA

boyhandsoverears.jpg

papa bear

i got pulled over last year, by a city kitty. i accidentally handed him my CHP (was with my licenses) though my gun was laying on the console of my truck. he hadn't even noticed it

LEO; where if you firearm (kudos for him not calling it a weapon)
me; right here on the console
LEO;i am going to come around and get it
me; no thank you. it is safer right where it is at. BTW i locked the door and would have refused to unlock it
LEO; a little shocked. but i will return it.
me; damn right you will or that would be stealing. but i repeat, it is safer right were it is. i would rather you not touch it.
LEO: ok just keep your hands where i can see them
me; way ahead of you

i am sure he didn't know i would have done nothing to stop him. but i am sure he notice he could have been recorded. and i definitely raise a stink with my good friend the mayor and a couple of the board members i am friends with. i was friendly, fair but firm

Pocono

Campaign Veteran
I was stopped by a trooper last summer on 28 in Loudoun County for an equipment violation. I have NRA tags and a VA chp. Took the DL and registration back to the car and brought me back a scheduled date with the judge. He never mentioned a firearm and neither did I. I am not sure how I would have responded if he did but I am not one to answer someone's question just because they ask it. I don't think I said more than 3 words to him during the stop, plus one head nod and a shoulder shrug. He just couldn't stop grinning knowing that he reeled one in. Seemed like a nice guy though.

EDIT: I was open carrying but he didn't see.

Last edited:

mobeewan

I removed my front center seat with flip down back/armrest/storage console from the floor mounting studs. I got a new mount for a standard center seat, had nuts welded to it and bolted a lock box to it and mounted it back to the floor studs. I leave it unlocked with the key sticking in it while driving. I use an IWB holster with a metal spring belt clip. If I decide to remove the holster before or while driving I can remove the holster with firearm and place it inside the lock box through a webstrap secured inside the box. Once in the lock box if an emergency arises I can open the box and draw as fast as if from the hip while sitting in the seat. A gunsmith friend who is a competitive shooter really liked the setup when I showed it to him.

If stopped by the cops I usually have enough time to buckle up my seat belt, pull the IWB with pistol if in my belt, stow it and lock the box and pull the key before I find a place to stop. If I get stopped, once in the box and locked it ain't coming out. "I'm sorry officer, but the more you handle a loaded weapon the higher the risk of an accident. As long as it is locked up we're both safe."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I removed my front center seat with flip down back/armrest/storage console from the floor mounting studs. I got a new mount for a standard center seat, had nuts welded to it and bolted a lock box to it and mounted it back to the floor studs. I leave it unlocked with the key sticking in it while driving. I use an IWB holster with a metal spring belt clip. If I decide to remove the holster before or while driving I can remove the holster with firearm and place it inside the lock box through a webstrap secured inside the box. Once in the lock box if an emergency arises I can open the box and draw as fast as if from the hip while sitting in the seat. A gunsmith friend who is a competitive shooter really liked the setup when I showed it to him.

If stopped by the cops I usually have enough time to buckle up my seat belt, pull the IWB with pistol if in my belt, stow it and lock the box and pull the key before I find a place to stop. If I get stopped, once in the box and locked it ain't coming out. "I'm sorry officer, but the more you handle a loaded weapon the higher the risk of an accident. As long as it is locked up we're both safe."

AWWWWWWWWWW You mean you don't wear your seat belt? I'm gonna tell Ed!:banana:

TFred

i got pulled over last year, by a city kitty. i accidentally handed him my CHP (was with my licenses) though my gun was laying on the console of my truck. he hadn't even noticed it

LEO; where if you firearm (kudos for him not calling it a weapon)
me; right here on the console
LEO;i am going to come around and get it
me; no thank you. it is safer right where it is at. BTW i locked the door and would have refused to unlock it
LEO; a little shocked. but i will return it.
me; damn right you will or that would be stealing. but i repeat, it is safer right were it is. i would rather you not touch it.
LEO: ok just keep your hands where i can see them
me; way ahead of you

i am sure he didn't know i would have done nothing to stop him. but i am sure he notice he could have been recorded. and i definitely raise a stink with my good friend the mayor and a couple of the board members i am friends with. i was friendly, fair but firm
It's clear this Sherlock will never make detective. If you had intended to harm him, why would you have alerted him to your CHP/possible firearm in the car?

TFred

Marco

It's clear this Sherlock will never make detective. If you had intended to harm him, why would you have alerted him to your CHP/possible firearm in the car?

TFred
So, would the default be those that don't choose inform intend to harm???:banghead:

Volunteering info that isn't germane to the alleged ticketing offense is well stupid, imho.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So, would the default be those that don't choose inform intend to harm???:banghead:

Volunteering info that isn't germane to the alleged ticketing offense is well stupid, imho.

This is one of those idiot Catch-22's created by police: the good guy isn't going to shoot the cop whether he waives his rights by informing or not; the bad guy isn't going to inform the cop of the weapon. Cops create their own situations by their mindset before they even frame the question. I am convinced police are so familiar with sheep just rolling over and answering questions cooperatively that they've all but forgotten about the people who exercise rights as a default setting. Thus, cops seem to equate "non-cooperation" with villainy.

papa bear

the handing him the CHP was purely accidental. he noticed that and asked if i had a firearm in which case i answered affirmative, since it was in plain view and in the open.

you may not know that NC is an "to inform" state, if you have a concealed firearm. which i didn't. i noticed he didn't make an issue out of it either

TFred

No, not at all. Borrowing from my rusty memories of Logic 101:

"A implies B. Not A. Therefore not B." is NOT a valid logical argument.

In this context:

[Choose to inform] implies [no intent to harm]. [Did not choose to inform.] Does not imply [DOES intend to harm.]

The correct logical analogy for this example is:

A implies B. Not B implies Not A.

This carries over in our example as: If there was intent to harm [Not B], then they would NOT inform [Not A].

Whew, long time ago!

TFred