• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

online carry training ?

RedDogRacing

I can not locate anything on this by searching, so I will ask.

I have been offered a class with onlinecarrytraining.com with the claim that i can use it in Ky to get my CCDW. My commander and friend is KY State trooper, he thinks it will not work.

Any experience here?

Anyone who just wants something to read, please continue.

My background. I joined the Army in 1987, and was active duty for 14 years. 9 of those in special operations, and half of those as a weapons instructor. I went to every instructor course that the NRA offered. We also attended every class offered by H&K including all of their instructor classes. We also went to most of the big schools, FBI, Gunsite, and department of energy.

So back when CCDW became a topic in the late 1990's I looked into getting mine. When I asked the local instructor his qualifications, I was better trained then he was. So my pride kicked in, and I could not bring myself to go through the training.

I think it is time now, if nothing more then add to the numbers so that our government can see that there are a lot of gun owners and carriers in the country.

I do not mind the cost, but the idea that I have to show someone that I can shoot, and CLEAN my weapon, stills bothers me.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I know the feeling.

Does KY only reconize one course for their CCW Lic.

Seems to me you would be qualifed to instruct or do they required a speical course for that also.

09jisaac

It has to be approved by the Department of Justice to be a valid class for a KY CDWL.

I don't see how you could do the live shooting portion of the class online.

The statute does list exemptions (237.110(6)(a-b)) for the training but all of those are listed as "peace officers"

Last edited:

ps1mhd

This is not for a Ky permit it is a Arizona Non-Residents Permit.
Unless you plan on a move to Arizona I would do a Ky class and get a Ky permit.
That way they will be covering the laws where you live.
Cost should be close to the same and you'll have better feedback.
You may even learn something I have 34 yrs before retirement and I am still learning.

Mike

LEX_XDM40compact

Imo no.

I went to that website and it seems the way they offer their training is they make you submit for an Arizona non res permit to carry? Which is "valid" in KY since we are a gold state that recognizes all.

With that website you are basically jumping thru "loopholes" to obtain your CCDW which again from that website wont even be a KY one.

Kentucky

To carry a concealed weapon in this state, you will apply for an Arizona Non-Resident Permit. The Arizona Non-Resident Permit is honored by this state as a valid permit for you to carry a concealed weapon. Refer to the “How to Apply” section at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions on the application process.

Would be silly to do imo and i would be 100% against anyone who did this.

There are a lot of local people who offer listed approved CCDW classes which are generally cheaper then the 70$ listed. If i was you i would do things right and simply follow the steps via the http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm website.

as you listed your background that is impressive. ty for your service. In those years times have changed and in my opinion when it comes to gun control you can never have ENOUGH training. I personally think you may enjoy actually going out to the range and getting instructed versus an online loop hole step.

I do not mind the cost, but the idea that I have to show someone that I can shoot, and CLEAN my weapon, stills bothers me.

You had to show several people in your life these steps before when you joined the Army and other ops etc. I think your pride is getting to you when it comes to this step. Unless there is more to the reasoning you want to go the online route. I understand how you feel but attempting to jump some law loopholes to obtain some training that you clearly stated you dont even need ( which means it should be a breeze for you) when it comes to a CCDW is silly. If you have just became lazy over these years and do not want to go out and fire a weapon and see some updated world training you should maybe re think wanting to carry a firearm and just stick to your right of home defense. Or exercise open carry like this forum is about. Again my opinion only.

I know the feeling.

Does KY only reconize one course for their CCW Lic.

Seems to me you would be qualifed to instruct or do they required a speical course for that also.

Of course not. There are hundreds of places here in KY you can go to take your CCDW course. Most again are cheaper then the online cost.

Last edited:

09jisaac

But still the current KY CDWL class is a beginners class. I would think that the class should be more geared to more experienced people if I didn't think that you should need the governments permission to conceal carry.

If you have to take that class to learn the parts of a firearm then you shouldn't carry without more in depth training.

I am not a fan of state issued licenses because they don't mean you are capable of what you are licensed for or incapable because you're not.

LEX_XDM40compact

But still the current KY CDWL class is a beginners class. I would think that the class should be more geared to more experienced people if I didn't think that you should need the governments permission to conceal carry.

If you have to take that class to learn the parts of a firearm then you shouldn't carry without more in depth training.

I am not a fan of state issued licenses because they don't mean you are capable of what you are licensed for or incapable because you're not.

I agree the class itself shroud not be so basic and the requirements to pass imo should be higher.

The state issue is a mixed thing for me. I don't believe any govern body should be able to be the deciding factor in the case of carrying a firearm both open or concealed. however at the same time due to not everyone being aware of the freedom we have as a HUMAN (imo) to carry without the proper govern body to uphold and decline of concealed carrying who knows who would carry? ( hopefully that makes sense) ie: if everyone who was law abiding and had the proper understanding of the firearm and safety issues carried a firearm either concealed or open I do not think we would need any laws in which regulated doing so. But since we don't it helps? ( but ofc when was the last time a CRIMINAL obeyed the law?) its all a catch 22.

Last edited:

LEX_XDM40compact

@gutshot Yeah i agree fully. Can only imagine "I WAS A DAM NAVY SEAL TEAM 4984 FOR 10 YEARS IM THE REASON YOU CAN SPEAK FREELY WHY WAS I NOT PASSED TO HANDLE A CONCEALED FIREARM?!" lol.

Nothing will or can change over night and what we do have to work with is very 'workable.' Your post are always awesome to read due to the effort you put into them to make the reader either educated by facts or a very well stated opinion.

-Mike

09jisaac

I would never tell anyone I wish the class to be harder to pass. I think everyone should be allowed to carry a firearm concealed or otherwise with or without the governments consent or even their knowledge.

The government likes to test people before they will provide a license or a permit but their test shows very little. How many people do you know with a valid drivers who are not a proficient driver? On the same token I can plumb or wire up a house but I can not even go get my licenses for either.

A license/permit just gives you permission but does not denote your ability.

09jisaac

YES!!! All it does is show you've jumped through the government's hoops and gives them leverage with you. Years ago, I'd worked in the offshore oilfields of Louisiana. The people that manned the boats were the most uneducated people I ever met. Some couldn't read or write. Very few of them had Coast Guard licenses that were required by law and the companies were constantly getting fined for hiring unlicensed crews, but licensed people would want more money. After years of this, the Coast Guard hit on a solution, just give everybody a license. Then they could threaten them with revoking the license that they had done nothing to get. But now, licensed people were everywhere and without one, you didn't work. The license gave the government some control, it did not guarantee competency. The policy was very successful.

Did they just "give" them a license or was there a fee involved? Most government licensing procedures are successful only in collecting revenue.