• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recall Petition for Senators Murray and Cantwell for Oath of Office and 2A Violations

jt59

Thank You for the advice everyone. I Love it. Any suggestions on where to get assistance on getting a well written draft? I will work my tail off to make this happen if someone can point me in the best direction please.

In your earlier post you wrote: Oath Of Office Violations+ 53% of the Washington State voters want no gun ban or any additional gun restrictions that infringe upon their 2A rights,

Could you please cite this information or poll? Who conducted it, and how many participants were involved and the margin of error?

jt59

Thank You for the advice everyone. I Love it. Any suggestions on where to get assistance on getting a well written draft? I will work my tail off to make this happen if someone can point me in the best direction please.

You have to articulate the issue, back it up with specifics, not statements like "violations of oath of office"...this doesn't mean anything to your reader, and then develop your motivational argument to make folks do something (as in, sign your petition).

check this outline out to get a start in an organized fashion and to sort out your facts and claims...

http://www.ceptara.com/node/33

This may be a little deep, but it may provide some ideas for re-framing your issue (problem)...have a read, it may give you some things to consider as you consider your solution (kick them out), and the middle piece of rationalizing your position with some justification.

http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/encyclopedia/Per-Pro/Problem-Solving-Styles.html

...and lastly, is your petition the most effective tool to accomplish your goal...you have to get me to sign it and convince me that if I do, it will mean anything....otherwise it is simply an opinion poll that I have contributed a validated e-mail address to. If it carries no authority to the recall process that you are subscribing it to, I am hard pressed to add my name to the list.....yet.

Another resource... just substitute "the Senator must be recalled" in the thesis statements.

http://lv-staff.francisparker.org/globalissues/draftthesis09.pdf

and a live one in Montana several years ago..

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/316798

I am open carrying while I type this....

Last edited:

Lammo

Dear Mr. Flory,

I was under the mistaken impression the senators in question were state senators, not US Senators.

Federal officials are not subject to recall. Recall is established under the state constitution as a process applicable to “[e]very elective public officer of the state,” except for judges. (Washington Constitution Art. I, Sec. 3.) That phrase is used in the statute as well, describing the process for commencing a recall. Senators are federal officers, and not officers of the state.

The US Constitution governs their office and my previous email is not applicable. Please consult with an attorney as it is out of my area of expertise.

Sheryl Moss | Certification & Training Manager
Washington State Elections | Office of the Secretary of State
(360) 902-4146 | www.vote.wa.gov

The scary part of this is that anyone at the Office of the Secretary of State wouldn't know that Cantwell and Murray are United States Senators. While agree that they should be subject to recall I am not aware of any provision that allows recall of Federal elected officials. State laws and/or state constitutional provisions that establish procedures to recall state and local elected officials do not apply to Federal officeholders.

Squeak

Members of Congress may be involuntarily removed from office before the normal expiration of
their constitutional terms by an “expulsion” from the Senate (if a Senator) or from the House of
Representatives (if a Representative) upon a formal vote on a resolution agreed to by two-thirds
of the membership of the respective body who are present and voting.7
The United States
Constitution expressly provides at Article I, Section 5, clause 2.

Lammo

Members of Congress may be involuntarily removed from office before the normal expiration of
their constitutional terms by an “expulsion” from the Senate (if a Senator) or from the House of
Representatives (if a Representative) upon a formal vote on a resolution agreed to by two-thirds
of the membership of the respective body who are present and voting.7
The United States
Constitution expressly provides at Article I, Section 5, clause 2.

Exactly, but this provision only allows for expulsion by the membership, that is being voted off the island by the other US Senators or US Representatives. That is not the same as a recall after a vote by the people. For example, Governor Scott Walker recently survived a recall vote by the electorate in Wisconsin. Federal elected officials cannot be removed prior to the expiration of their terms by a vote of the people.

Note: In the whole history of the US Congress only 20 members have been expelled and only two of those were after 1980, the most recent and notable being Rep. Jim Trafficant, D-Ohio, expelled after convictions for bribery, racketeering and tax evasion. Curiously, or not, 19 of the 20 expulsions were Democrats. The 20th happened before there were political parties.

Squeak

Exactly, but this provision only allows for expulsion by the membership, that is being voted off the island by the other US Senators or US Representatives. That is not the same as a recall after a vote by the people. For example, Governor Scott Walker recently survived a recall vote by the electorate in Wisconsin. Federal elected officials cannot be removed prior to the expiration of their terms by a vote of the people.

Note: In the whole history of the US Congress only 20 members have been expelled and only two of those were after 1980, the most recent and notable being Rep. Jim Trafficant, D-Ohio, expelled after convictions for bribery, racketeering and tax evasion. Curiously, or not, 19 of the 20 expulsions were Democrats. The 20th happened before there were political parties.

Boy, I guess they have the bases covered! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess when I tried a recall and was told that it next to impossible, that is what they meant.