• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seller cancels Mark Kelly Ar-15 buy. DENIED

zack991

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57576269/seller-cancels-mark-kelly-assault-weapon-buy/

The owner of a Tucson gun store where former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' husband purchased a semi-automatic rifle has canceled the transaction.

Doug MacKinlay said Monday that a full refund was sent to Mark Kelly via express mail because the former astronaut didn't plan to keep the AR-15-style rifle for his personal use.

Kelly bought the gun March 5 at Diamondback Police Supply, saying he wanted to show how easy it is to buy an assault weapon. He planned to turn it in to Tucson police.

MacKinlay tells The Arizona Daily Star he terminated the transaction Thursday before Kelly could take possession of the firearm.

Kelly, who couldn't be reached for comment, had said he bought the AR-15 to show how easy it is to buy an assault weapon and planned to turn it in to Tucson police, the newspaper points out.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I though buying a evil black rifle, in AZ, was like buying a big mac.

I wonder if Mr. Kelly could be denied at other stores thus being forced to exercise his 2A, via the purchase of a firearm, only from out of state dealers. It would be really nice to relegate Mr. Kelly to using private transactions.

eye95

I though buying a evil black rifle, in AZ, was like buying a big mac.

I wonder if Mr. Kelly could be denied at other stores thus being forced to exercise his 2A, via the purchase of a firearm, only from out of state dealers. It would be really nice to relegate Mr. Kelly to using private transactions.

The dealer was exercising his discretion on believing that he learned the purchase was straw. While it can be argued that it is not, I too would have been uncomfortable enough to refuse the transaction. If I ain't sure that the sale is 100% lawful, I ain't making it.

Deanimator

The dealer was exercising his discretion on believing that he learned the purchase was straw. While it can be argued that it is not, I too would have been uncomfortable enough to refuse the transaction. If I ain't sure that the sale is 100% lawful, I ain't making it.
Kelly's intention was to use the sale to hold the seller in disrepute. The dealer would have been a fool to complete the transaction.

bob888

But of course it was an obvious straw purchase! Mark intended to buy it for the Tucson PD, and neo-liberals consider the heavily-armed Tucson PD to be a "terrorist organization"!

:lol::lol::lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Perhaps what is so disturbing about this man is the fact that he was in the military and he doesn't even know what an assault rifle is. How in the hell did me manage to graduate from boot camp?

Why do you think he doesn't know? I got $5 that says he knows very well what an assault rifle is.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Based upon the simple fact that he uses the term when speaking of an AR-15 rifle. Words have meaning and if he was a man of character and honor, he would use them correctly and accordingly.

Well, yes. My point is that I bet he knows darn good and well what an assault rifle is, yet is twisting the terminology like any other anti-gunner. That is to say, he's an Orwellian, manipulative freak.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well, yes. My point is that I bet he knows darn good and well what an assault rifle is, yet is twisting the terminology like any other anti-gunner. That is to say, he's an Orwellian, manipulative freak.

I really did understand what you wrote and I agree that he is most likely using the term in the anti-vernacular to advance his position.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
What I would like to know is why would he have to wait to purchase the firearm? I heard of this purchase over a week ago, and he still hadn't taken control of the firearm? I thought Arizona was firearm friendly and you could walk into a gun store and walk out with your firearm like you can here in Kentucky? Was he a possible prohibited person and made to wait? Even then though, the wait is only three days.

ADobbs1989

What I would like to know is why would he have to wait to purchase the firearm? I heard of this purchase over a week ago, and he still hadn't taken control of the firearm? I thought Arizona was firearm friendly and you could walk into a gun store and walk out with your firearm like you can here in Kentucky? Was he a possible prohibited person and made to wait? Even then though, the wait is only three days.

I don't know anything, but maybe the rifle was ordered and had to be shipped to the dealer?

eye95

There is no wait for prohibited persons. If the NICS reveals that a person is prohibited, the result is a "Deny," and the deal is killed instantaneously.

If the check cannot be resolved within minutes, it becomes a "Delay." Delays can be for up to 30 days. After three full business days, the dealer can transfer the firearm without having gotten the "Proceed" if State law does not disallow it. Three full business days is a total of five days: the day of the NICS check, the next three full days, and the earliest day the firearm can be transferred without a "Proceed."

I think the most likely explanation is that Kelly was waiting for some commercial reason such as the firearm not being in stock.

arentol

The reason for the delay was because it was a second hand gun and a local ordinance requires FFL's to hold second hand weapons for 20 days to ensure the weapon was not stolen or used for criminal activity.

This was covered in a lot of the early articles about the purchase itself. He bought a .45 pistol at the same time and I don't believe he had to wait for that.

Last edited:

Aknazer

The reason for the delay was because it was a second hand gun and a local ordinance requires FFL's to hold second hand weapons for 20 days to ensure the weapon was not stolen or used for criminal activity.

This was covered in a lot of the early articles about the purchase itself. He bought a .45 pistol at the same time and I don't believe he had to wait for that.

Not exactly true. The issue is that the store was buying the AR15 from another person and the law requires that the FFL own the weapon for 20 days before they can resell it to someone else in order to make sure that the weapon wasn't used in criminal activity. It has nothing to do with it being a second handgun, and as you said he got the .45 right away.

We-the-People

Not exactly true. The issue is that the store was buying the AR15 from another person and the law requires that the FFL own the weapon for 20 days before they can resell it to someone else in order to make sure that the weapon wasn't used in criminal activity. It has nothing to do with it being a second handgun, and as you said he got the .45 right away.

I think he meant second hand as in previously owned. He said "second hand gun" not "second handgun".

1245A Defender

Well,, and...

Here is a thing I have a thought about.
Ever since this sale was bantied about.
Does Mark have a legal, right to get that sale, of a gun?
I mean, the gun store agreed to sell him a gun, pending the background check.
Do they have the right? to refuse that sale, now, after they said they would sell?
Can Mark, sue them to complete the transaction?
I think he has grounds to force the sale, even if the gun store doesnt want to , Now, forwhetever reason.
It is not any kind of straw purchace, or otherwise unlawfull,
what ever he wants to do with the gun, makes no nevermind to noboy...

Can he make them sell that gun to him?