Thread: Virginia members missing in action - haven't heard from them in a long time.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Virginia members missing in action - haven't heard from them in a long time.

Generally we know when someone moves away. This thread is dedicated to those with whom we used to converse, but have been absent for some time. Please feel free to add/post the user name of anyone that you have noticed as 'missing in action".

Of course the main goal is to determine what has happened to our ol' friends.

Where are these users/members who used to post on the Open Carry - Richmond thread?

sultan62
    Last posted 02-24-2012

simmonsjoe

Last posted 03-20-2011

sitedzn
    Last posted, 03-02-2010, was working at Lowes and joining Chesterfield PD

possumboy

Last posted 07-15-2011

Icetera
    Last posted, 04-04-2010, used to see him almost every Sunday at wafflehouse at Broad near Glenside.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I can't speak for others but I don't personally post as much as I used to because it seems there are people who post whatever they want and then censor other people's posts because they aren't directly about Virginia or open carry.

The page has become too censored and sterile. Facebook seems to do just as well without as much of the chest thumping and censorship.

That and there isn't as much going on on a state level as there has been in the years past. But that is a good thing I suppose.

I also think more could be done beyond dinners at diners to make ourselves visible, create curiosity and recruit new people to open carry and ultimately the site. I don't see as many newbies asking questions as there once was. Of course when they do they are often told to do a search using the annoying search function. That doesn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by richarcm View Post
    I can't speak for others but I don't personally post as much as I used to because it seems there are people who post whatever they want and then censor other people's posts because they aren't directly about Virginia or open carry.

Those are the rules that have been in effect since OCDO was first launched.

The page has become too censored and sterile. Facebook seems to do just as well without as much of the chest thumping and censorship.

OCDO is the public image and always desires to maintain the high road.

That and there isn't as much going on on a state level as there has been in the years past. But that is a good thing I suppose.
    Still a lot to be done and problems to fix. We can't become complacent.
    See my comments embedded in blue.

I also think more could be done beyond dinners at diners to make ourselves visible, create curiosity and recruit new people to open carry and ultimately the site. I don't see as many newbies asking questions as there once was. Of course when they do they are often told to do a search using the annoying search function. That doesn't help much.
    A lot more is being done other than breakfast and dinners. We attend BoS meetings, town hall forums, lobby at the GA, and recruit/recruit/recruit. Ocers are high profile emissaries. Our numbers are growing noticeably.

All of that, including my response here, is off-topic for the thread though as the intent is to find out where "they" went, what happened to them.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I also think more could be done beyond dinners at diners to make ourselves visible
    Adopt a section of highway near you and pick up litter 4 times a year.. we do in Sterling.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A lot more is being done other than breakfast and dinners. We attend BoS meetings, town hall forums, lobby at the GA, and recruit/recruit/recruit. Ocers are high profile emissaries. Our numbers are growing noticeably..
    Not off topic Grape. I have been involved with community service for as long as I can remember. OCers that are involved in the Community, the people that are visible to the Community, are the emissaries you speak of. Just going to a coffee shop once a week with a few friends is getting the message (Freedom) out there, but the people that get involved in the Community make a much larger footprint. Being involved in the Community will encourage new recruits to the OC world and keep them interested enough to stay.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Generally we know when someone moves away. This thread is dedicated to those with whom we used to converse, but have been absent for some time. Please feel free to add/post the user name of anyone that you have noticed as 'missing in action".

Way too many to even begin, all the ones I know haven't moved away, they still oc they just don't visit OCDO or just don't post when they do.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...66#post1880566
    Last edited by Marco; 03-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Not off topic Grape. I have been involved with community service for as long as I can remember. OCers that are involved in the Community, the people that are visible to the Community, are the emissaries you speak of. Just going to a coffee shop once a week with a few friends is getting the message (Freedom) out there, but the people that get involved in the Community make a much larger footprint. Being involved in the Community will encourage new recruits to the OC world and keep them interested enough to stay.
    Not off topic for the forum, but decidely off topic for this thread.

Community service has nothing to do with updating the status of missing contacts - the OP of this thread.

Not off topic for the forum, but decidely off topic for this thread.

Community service has nothing to do with updating the status of missing contacts - the OP of this thread.
    Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack Grape, I know this thread is about finding friends and not about why we seem to be losing friends/steam. I just thought that this was an opportunity for some VA Forum self examination.

I don't come here nearly as often as I did in the past. Why? I'm not sure but here are some of my reasons:

1) Maybe it is because OC is not as big an issue as it used to be (and this is good!)

2) Maybe it is because I am sick of debating with others over the merit of P4P, and other "inside the gun rights fence" issues.

3) May be it is because the forum used to be alot more fun when Hank and LEO 229 spun us all up.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    also been wondering what happened to Longwatch and Tomahawk. I miss their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    also been wondering what happened to Longwatch and Tomahawk. I miss their posts.
    Both of them were on my mental list also. Longwatch used to work for a gun shop and was a moderator too, I believe.

Heard that Tomahawk was still in NoVa as of about a year ago.

Please let me know what is standing in the way of you doing something (anything) to make this sort of thing happen.

There is no hierarchy here, nobody is "in charge" of approving any/all meet&greet or other OC-related events.

Here's a random thought for you - the Richmond Marathon is Saturday, April 13. OC while you are standing on the sidewalk cheering on the runners. Bring all your friends with oC'd guns, too. Make up a sign or three saying something (anything) about OCers support runners. Go check the on-line registration list the night before, pick a random runner, and make up a sign supporting them ("Go John Doe - Open Carry gun owners are all for you"?)

Go get a few of your OC friends and go mow the lawn for some senior citizen.

If you need any more ideas I'm going to start charging for the time my brain is used - should be a fairly low fee.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Please let me know what is standing in the way of you doing something (anything) to make this sort of thing happen.

There is no hierarchy here, nobody is "in charge" of approving any/all meet&greet or other OC-related events.

Here's a random thought for you - the Richmond Marathon is Saturday, April 13. OC while you are standing on the sidewalk cheering on the runners. Bring all your friends with oC'd guns, too. Make up a sign or three saying something (anything) about OCers support runners. Go check the on-line registration list the night before, pick a random runner, and make up a sign supporting them ("Go John Doe - Open Carry gun owners are all for you"?)

Go get a few of your OC friends and go mow the lawn for some senior citizen.

If you need any more ideas I'm going to start charging for the time my brain is used - should be a fairly low fee.

stay safe.
    Skid is a senior citizen
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    And, I hope Danbus got his issues straighted out and is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    And, I hope Danbus got his issues straighted out and is doing well.
    Several other user/members were keeping in touch with Dan off-line - understand that he was considering military service.

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Skid is a senior citizen
    Get on my lawn?

Somehow does not have the same ring to it as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6uvviKOgI .

Besides, I'd probably sit by the back door cleaning my shotgun while they mowed - it might scare them and cause them to miss a spot. Then I'd become the shame of the neighborhood for having such a crappy lawn. (You have to know my neighborhood to understand that. Grapeshot might be willing to explain, but then he'd have to explain why he broke up with Shaniquatonda.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Forgot about unrequited too.

Unrequited is around... I'll be drinking beers /w him in about 2 hours.

Anyone heard from MSC 45ACP. I haven't seen him on here in a while.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Unrequited is around... I'll be drinking beers /w him in about 2 hours.
    Still around! Drinking w/him and hit up the random VCDL meeting every now and then.
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member
    Glad to hear from y'all, Ian and Unrequited!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Anyone heard from MSC 45ACP. I haven't seen him on here in a while.
    He doesn't seem to post as often as he once did. I saw Mike and one of his lovely daughters not too long ago - at the York County rally to support the young man that was fired from AutoZone for getting his gun from his parked vehicle to stop a robbery where he worked.

Longwatch still works at the same gun shop.
    BobCav hasn't posted in a few months but we communicate regularly.

Tricorn was very active and then just sorta dropped off. Guess I'll have to stop by the Log Cabin in Stafford and see if he's been in.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post

3) May be it is because the forum used to be alot more fun when Hank and LEO 229 spun us all up.
    Pluezzze Thundar. That's like saying Jock Itch is a healthy form of exercise.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    He doesn't seem to post as often as he once did. I saw Mike and one of his lovely daughters not too long ago - at the York County rally to support the young man that was fired from AutoZone for getting his gun from his parked vehicle to stop a robbery where he worked.
    Glad you posted that Grape!
    I've been concerned about him for a while now.