• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia members missing in action - haven't heard from them in a long time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Generally we know when someone moves away. This thread is dedicated to those with whom we used to converse, but have been absent for some time. Please feel free to add/post the user name of anyone that you have noticed as 'missing in action".

Of course the main goal is to determine what has happened to our ol' friends.

Where are these users/members who used to post on the Open Carry - Richmond thread?

sultan62
Last posted 02-24-2012

simmonsjoe

Last posted 03-20-2011

sitedzn
Last posted, 03-02-2010, was working at Lowes and joining Chesterfield PD

possumboy

Last posted 07-15-2011

Icetera
Last posted, 04-04-2010, used to see him almost every Sunday at wafflehouse at Broad near Glenside.

richarcm

I can't speak for others but I don't personally post as much as I used to because it seems there are people who post whatever they want and then censor other people's posts because they aren't directly about Virginia or open carry.

The page has become too censored and sterile. Facebook seems to do just as well without as much of the chest thumping and censorship.

That and there isn't as much going on on a state level as there has been in the years past. But that is a good thing I suppose.

richarcm

I also think more could be done beyond dinners at diners to make ourselves visible, create curiosity and recruit new people to open carry and ultimately the site. I don't see as many newbies asking questions as there once was. Of course when they do they are often told to do a search using the annoying search function. That doesn't help much.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can't speak for others but I don't personally post as much as I used to because it seems there are people who post whatever they want and then censor other people's posts because they aren't directly about Virginia or open carry.

Those are the rules that have been in effect since OCDO was first launched.

The page has become too censored and sterile. Facebook seems to do just as well without as much of the chest thumping and censorship.

OCDO is the public image and always desires to maintain the high road.

That and there isn't as much going on on a state level as there has been in the years past. But that is a good thing I suppose.
Still a lot to be done and problems to fix. We can't become complacent.

See my comments embedded in blue.

I also think more could be done beyond dinners at diners to make ourselves visible, create curiosity and recruit new people to open carry and ultimately the site. I don't see as many newbies asking questions as there once was. Of course when they do they are often told to do a search using the annoying search function. That doesn't help much.

A lot more is being done other than breakfast and dinners. We attend BoS meetings, town hall forums, lobby at the GA, and recruit/recruit/recruit. Ocers are high profile emissaries. Our numbers are growing noticeably.

All of that, including my response here, is off-topic for the thread though as the intent is to find out where "they" went, what happened to them.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A lot more is being done other than breakfast and dinners. We attend BoS meetings, town hall forums, lobby at the GA, and recruit/recruit/recruit. Ocers are high profile emissaries. Our numbers are growing noticeably..

Not off topic Grape. I have been involved with community service for as long as I can remember. OCers that are involved in the Community, the people that are visible to the Community, are the emissaries you speak of. Just going to a coffee shop once a week with a few friends is getting the message (Freedom) out there, but the people that get involved in the Community make a much larger footprint. Being involved in the Community will encourage new recruits to the OC world and keep them interested enough to stay.

Marco

Generally we know when someone moves away. This thread is dedicated to those with whom we used to converse, but have been absent for some time. Please feel free to add/post the user name of anyone that you have noticed as 'missing in action".

Way too many to even begin, all the ones I know haven't moved away, they still oc they just don't visit OCDO or just don't post when they do.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-revise-the-forum-rules&p=1880566#post1880566

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not off topic Grape. I have been involved with community service for as long as I can remember. OCers that are involved in the Community, the people that are visible to the Community, are the emissaries you speak of. Just going to a coffee shop once a week with a few friends is getting the message (Freedom) out there, but the people that get involved in the Community make a much larger footprint. Being involved in the Community will encourage new recruits to the OC world and keep them interested enough to stay.

Not off topic for the forum, but decidely off topic for this thread.

Community service has nothing to do with updating the status of missing contacts - the OP of this thread.

Thundar

Not off topic for the forum, but decidely off topic for this thread.

Community service has nothing to do with updating the status of missing contacts - the OP of this thread.

Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack Grape, I know this thread is about finding friends and not about why we seem to be losing friends/steam. I just thought that this was an opportunity for some VA Forum self examination.

I don't come here nearly as often as I did in the past. Why? I'm not sure but here are some of my reasons:

1) Maybe it is because OC is not as big an issue as it used to be (and this is good!)

2) Maybe it is because I am sick of debating with others over the merit of P4P, and other "inside the gun rights fence" issues.

3) May be it is because the forum used to be alot more fun when Hank and LEO 229 spun us all up.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Tess

Founder's Club Member
also been wondering what happened to Longwatch and Tomahawk. I miss their posts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
also been wondering what happened to Longwatch and Tomahawk. I miss their posts.

Both of them were on my mental list also. Longwatch used to work for a gun shop and was a moderator too, I believe.

Heard that Tomahawk was still in NoVa as of about a year ago.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Please let me know what is standing in the way of you doing something (anything) to make this sort of thing happen.

There is no hierarchy here, nobody is "in charge" of approving any/all meet&greet or other OC-related events.

Here's a random thought for you - the Richmond Marathon is Saturday, April 13. OC while you are standing on the sidewalk cheering on the runners. Bring all your friends with oC'd guns, too. Make up a sign or three saying something (anything) about OCers support runners. Go check the on-line registration list the night before, pick a random runner, and make up a sign supporting them ("Go John Doe - Open Carry gun owners are all for you"?)

Go get a few of your OC friends and go mow the lawn for some senior citizen.

If you need any more ideas I'm going to start charging for the time my brain is used - should be a fairly low fee.:p

stay safe.

2a4all

Please let me know what is standing in the way of you doing something (anything) to make this sort of thing happen.

There is no hierarchy here, nobody is "in charge" of approving any/all meet&greet or other OC-related events.

Here's a random thought for you - the Richmond Marathon is Saturday, April 13. OC while you are standing on the sidewalk cheering on the runners. Bring all your friends with oC'd guns, too. Make up a sign or three saying something (anything) about OCers support runners. Go check the on-line registration list the night before, pick a random runner, and make up a sign supporting them ("Go John Doe - Open Carry gun owners are all for you"?)

Go get a few of your OC friends and go mow the lawn for some senior citizen.

If you need any more ideas I'm going to start charging for the time my brain is used - should be a fairly low fee.:p

stay safe.
Skid is a senior citizen:eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid is a senior citizen:eek:

Get on my lawn?

Somehow does not have the same ring to it as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6uvviKOgI .

Besides, I'd probably sit by the back door cleaning my shotgun while they mowed - it might scare them and cause them to miss a spot. Then I'd become the shame of the neighborhood for having such a crappy lawn. (You have to know my neighborhood to understand that. Grapeshot might be willing to explain, but then he'd have to explain why he broke up with Shaniquatonda.)

stay safe.