Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New Gun Owner and OC'er

  1. #1
    Regular Member Flounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    39

    New Gun Owner and OC'er

    I recently purchased a firearm and figured while I wait to take my CCDW class and then wait to get the actual permit I would just OC. Today is my second day and so far it has been completely uneventful. I live in Louisville, though I work in Bardstown.

    Went about my normal business yesterday with a stop into Fed-Ex, and nothing. Pretty much what I expected but was still a bit nervous. Today no issues, but running some errands this evening including trips to Kroger.

    I will re-evaluate later, but I believe I may open carry in normal circumstances and conceal only when it would be prudent to do so.

  2. #2
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Welcome. Before you go any further may I suggest that you read,re-read and then read again this thread..it is KY guns laws. Oh yeah, Buy and carry a recorder also.
    Last edited by self preservation; 03-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Flounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    39
    Done and done and done again. I have several of the laws downloaded to my phone, and print outs of most.

    I also downloaded a recorder on my phone that auto backs it up to dropbox!

  4. #4
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Done and done and done again. I have several of the laws downloaded to my phone, and print outs of most.

    I also downloaded a recorder on my phone that auto backs it up to dropbox!
    Be careful with those free "law apps." Sometimes that are incorrect. What recorder app did you download for your phone?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Flounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    39
    I didnt get a law "app". Ive seen some that are wildly inaccurate for other purposes, so I went ahead and downloaded PDFs of many relevant statutes. I do agree with your first post about needing to read even more. Ive been looking through the forums for a few days now, and still need to learn more.

    The app for recording is Sky Recorder.

  6. #6
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I didnt get a law "app". Ive seen some that are wildly inaccurate for other purposes, so I went ahead and downloaded PDFs of many relevant statutes. I do agree with your first post about needing to read even more. Ive been looking through the forums for a few days now, and still need to learn more.

    The app for recording is Sky Recorder.
    awesome it seems you downloaded the same one I mentioned in my new open carrier post I have up.

    Congrats you on your gun purchase and wanting to open carry. As long as you have spent the time reading up laws and some post here in the kentucky section i believe you are good to go! Dont be scared to ask any questions and of course share your experiences!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Cottonbaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    46

    Welcome Flounder...

    Good to see another OCer here in Louisville. We're need to organize a Louisville OC meetup soon. Check your PM's...I'm sending you my contact info.

    BTW, what are you carrying as your sidearm?
    Last edited by Cottonbaler; 03-28-2013 at 09:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Flounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    39
    I picked up an SA XDM .45 3.8c

    I liked it because when I bought it, I meant it to be concealed, but with the mag extension it becomes a full sized .45 3.8 and feel great shooting it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonbaler View Post
    Good to see another OCer here in Louisville. We're need to organize a Louisville OC meetup soon. Check your PM's...I'm sending you my contact info.

    BTW, what are you carrying as your sidearm?
    Hey now include me in a louisville OC meet up! sure im in lexington but do not mind a 40 min drive for a meet up!


    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I picked up an SA XDM .45 3.8c

    I liked it because when I bought it, I meant it to be concealed, but with the mag extension it becomes a full sized .45 3.8 and feel great shooting it.
    Yeah awesome gun. I have the .40. I recommend getting some pearce grips for compact carry mag for that little extra grip for a full fit. I love mine.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Cottonbaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I picked up an SA XDM .45 3.8c

    I liked it because when I bought it, I meant it to be concealed, but with the mag extension it becomes a full sized .45 3.8 and feel great shooting it.
    Nice. I like the XDM's. I carry a black slide Ruger SR9. Not as concealable as yours but I prefer full frame pistols. I'll be going for my CCDW in a few weeks so I can carry with a coat during winter, otherwise I'm OC all the time.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonbaler View Post
    I'll be going for my CCDW in a few weeks so I can carry with a coat during winter, otherwise I'm OC all the time.
    As anybody who has taken the class will tell you, be well prepared for the class. That video is very boring and seems to be a year long. I would suggest about a gallon of pure caffeine.

    Also, anything you learn at that class that seems suspect come back online and look it up. I can help you find relevant statutes if you need me to.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member LEX_XDM40compact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    LEX, KY
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    As anybody who has taken the class will tell you, be well prepared for the class. That video is very boring and seems to be a year long. I would suggest about a gallon of pure caffeine.

    Also, anything you learn at that class that seems suspect come back online and look it up. I can help you find relevant statutes if you need me to.
    Lol good advice I will also been taking my class in the next week or two. Not sure what it all entails? Do you really have to clean your gun etc lol and 7/10 shots?

  13. #13
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by LEX_XDM40compact View Post
    Lol good advice I will also been taking my class in the next week or two. Not sure what it all entails? Do you really have to clean your gun etc lol and 7/10 shots?
    I have a book that you can have, it is missing a front cover. If you want to I can mail it to you but I don't think you'll be needing it. All you'll need to learn are Kentucky and I guess some federal laws. They'll teach you the parts of a firearm and they'll make you take it apart and clean it. I used a M&P for my class so it wasn't difficult.

    You'll take a test that is very difficult to fail.

    Then you'll do your shooting portion, which is difficult to fail.

    I watched a woman, who claimed that she hasn't shot since before I was born, pass the test. It is a huge silhouette which is larger than most people (about the same size as most American person, though.). You'll be shooting at this at 7yds which is about most room distances. 11/20 has to hit the black. At that distances you should be able to group them all in black with your eyes closed (wouldn't recommend it though). I think you get two tries at it. My instructor claims that he has never failed somebody in the shooting portion of the class. He did have a Smith .38 with a Crimson Trace grip on it though.

    We had around 50 people in my class, all of which passed.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Flounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

    Yes, you have to clean the gun/prove you can take it down. Use a revolver and save yourself a lot of trouble. The shooting portion is 20 shots at 7 yards. 11 of the 20 must hit a life sized silhouette. You can't miss. Written test is the hardest, if any of it is hard. Lots of stuff on KY law, when to shot, when not to shot, where you can carry, where you can't.
    You know, the stuff we talk about here. Its all covered in the video and in the book. If you have a friend who has taken the course recently, see if you can borrow a book and read early. You'll do fine.
    I have an XDM which is quite easy to strip and clean. How far will I have to go to "clean" it. (I will be bringing it in clean and oiled, obviously). Should I bring a bore brush and cleaner, or do I just need to strip and "pretend" to clean it?

  15. #15
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I was an instructor for twelve years and I never had a student fail any part of the course or even get close to failing.
    Good ol' Kentucky making it easy for qualified people to carry a firearm concealed. : )

    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Depends on the instructor.
    That is the truth. Everyone in my class was told to clean their firearm and anyone in the class who needed help could go do it in front of the instructor. The cleaning part was based off of the "honor system". My class was too big to spend five min for everyone to clean a cleaned firearm though.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •