• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun Owner and OC'er

Flounder

I recently purchased a firearm and figured while I wait to take my CCDW class and then wait to get the actual permit I would just OC. Today is my second day and so far it has been completely uneventful. I live in Louisville, though I work in Bardstown.

Went about my normal business yesterday with a stop into Fed-Ex, and nothing. Pretty much what I expected but was still a bit nervous. Today no issues, but running some errands this evening including trips to Kroger.

I will re-evaluate later, but I believe I may open carry in normal circumstances and conceal only when it would be prudent to do so.

self preservation

Welcome. Before you go any further may I suggest that you read,re-read and then read again this thread..it is KY guns laws. Oh yeah, Buy and carry a recorder also.

Last edited:

self preservation

Done and done and done again. I have several of the laws downloaded to my phone, and print outs of most.

I also downloaded a recorder on my phone that auto backs it up to dropbox!

Be careful with those free "law apps." Sometimes that are incorrect. What recorder app did you download for your phone?

Flounder

I didnt get a law "app". Ive seen some that are wildly inaccurate for other purposes, so I went ahead and downloaded PDFs of many relevant statutes. I do agree with your first post about needing to read even more. Ive been looking through the forums for a few days now, and still need to learn more.

The app for recording is Sky Recorder.

LEX_XDM40compact

I didnt get a law "app". Ive seen some that are wildly inaccurate for other purposes, so I went ahead and downloaded PDFs of many relevant statutes. I do agree with your first post about needing to read even more. Ive been looking through the forums for a few days now, and still need to learn more.

The app for recording is Sky Recorder.

awesome it seems you downloaded the same one I mentioned in my new open carrier post I have up.

Congrats you on your gun purchase and wanting to open carry. As long as you have spent the time reading up laws and some post here in the kentucky section i believe you are good to go! Dont be scared to ask any questions and of course share your experiences!

Cottonbaler

Welcome Flounder...

Good to see another OCer here in Louisville. We're need to organize a Louisville OC meetup soon. Check your PM's...I'm sending you my contact info.

BTW, what are you carrying as your sidearm?

Last edited:

LEX_XDM40compact

Good to see another OCer here in Louisville. We're need to organize a Louisville OC meetup soon. Check your PM's...I'm sending you my contact info.

BTW, what are you carrying as your sidearm?

Hey now include me in a louisville OC meet up! :) sure im in lexington but do not mind a 40 min drive for a meet up!

I picked up an SA XDM .45 3.8c

I liked it because when I bought it, I meant it to be concealed, but with the mag extension it becomes a full sized .45 3.8 and feel great shooting it.

Yeah awesome gun. I have the .40. I recommend getting some pearce grips for compact carry mag for that little extra grip for a full fit. I love mine.

Cottonbaler

I picked up an SA XDM .45 3.8c

I liked it because when I bought it, I meant it to be concealed, but with the mag extension it becomes a full sized .45 3.8 and feel great shooting it.

Nice. I like the XDM's. I carry a black slide Ruger SR9. Not as concealable as yours but I prefer full frame pistols. I'll be going for my CCDW in a few weeks so I can carry with a coat during winter, otherwise I'm OC all the time.

09jisaac

I'll be going for my CCDW in a few weeks so I can carry with a coat during winter, otherwise I'm OC all the time.

As anybody who has taken the class will tell you, be well prepared for the class. That video is very boring and seems to be a year long. I would suggest about a gallon of pure caffeine.

Also, anything you learn at that class that seems suspect come back online and look it up. I can help you find relevant statutes if you need me to.

LEX_XDM40compact

As anybody who has taken the class will tell you, be well prepared for the class. That video is very boring and seems to be a year long. I would suggest about a gallon of pure caffeine.

Also, anything you learn at that class that seems suspect come back online and look it up. I can help you find relevant statutes if you need me to.

Lol good advice I will also been taking my class in the next week or two. Not sure what it all entails? Do you really have to clean your gun etc lol and 7/10 shots?

09jisaac

Lol good advice I will also been taking my class in the next week or two. Not sure what it all entails? Do you really have to clean your gun etc lol and 7/10 shots?

I have a book that you can have, it is missing a front cover. If you want to I can mail it to you but I don't think you'll be needing it. All you'll need to learn are Kentucky and I guess some federal laws. They'll teach you the parts of a firearm and they'll make you take it apart and clean it. I used a M&P for my class so it wasn't difficult.

You'll take a test that is very difficult to fail.

Then you'll do your shooting portion, which is difficult to fail.

I watched a woman, who claimed that she hasn't shot since before I was born, pass the test. It is a huge silhouette which is larger than most people (about the same size as most American person, though.). You'll be shooting at this at 7yds which is about most room distances. 11/20 has to hit the black. At that distances you should be able to group them all in black with your eyes closed (wouldn't recommend it though). I think you get two tries at it. My instructor claims that he has never failed somebody in the shooting portion of the class. He did have a Smith .38 with a Crimson Trace grip on it though.

We had around 50 people in my class, all of which passed.

Flounder

Yes, you have to clean the gun/prove you can take it down. Use a revolver and save yourself a lot of trouble. The shooting portion is 20 shots at 7 yards. 11 of the 20 must hit a life sized silhouette. You can't miss. Written test is the hardest, if any of it is hard. Lots of stuff on KY law, when to shot, when not to shot, where you can carry, where you can't.
You know, the stuff we talk about here. Its all covered in the video and in the book. If you have a friend who has taken the course recently, see if you can borrow a book and read early. You'll do fine.

I have an XDM which is quite easy to strip and clean. How far will I have to go to "clean" it. (I will be bringing it in clean and oiled, obviously). Should I bring a bore brush and cleaner, or do I just need to strip and "pretend" to clean it?

09jisaac

I was an instructor for twelve years and I never had a student fail any part of the course or even get close to failing.

Good ol' Kentucky making it easy for qualified people to carry a firearm concealed. : )

Depends on the instructor.

That is the truth. Everyone in my class was told to clean their firearm and anyone in the class who needed help could go do it in front of the instructor. The cleaning part was based off of the "honor system". My class was too big to spend five min for everyone to clean a cleaned firearm though.