• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about getting Utah permit

TylerFromOregon

I already have my CHL and hunters safety card, am I required to take any more courses? If so does anybody know of any classes that can take applicants at last minute? I have a weird schedule and not always sure when I will be home.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes, you must take the UT course from a UT-certified instructor.

I'm at the wrong end of my state to be of much availability to you; sorry.

Last edited:

Cremator75

I see them being offered occasionally at booths at the gun shows where you can sign up. On the UT department of public safety web site they have a list of certified instructors.

Last edited:

PDXsoccerguy

Took my Utah class at Fisherman's Marine up by the expo center. I already have my Oregon license but travel to Washington often so wanted to get a Utah CHL.

Utah one was pretty much the same, you have to go through the Utah book basically page by page. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have to either issue your card or deny you within 60 days after the application is received.

Make sure your instructor actually signs your application, mine put his stamp on it but forgot to sign it and 60 days turned into about 100 since it had to be sent back and then resubmitted.

rpyne

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have to either issue your card or deny you within 60 days after the application is received.

Utah law gives them 60 days from receipt. If they are backed up, they simply don't open the mail until they can get to it. Watch for your payment to clear, that will tell you when they are starting the clock. Current reports are that they are running pretty much right at 60 days from the mailing.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Took my Utah class at Fisherman's Marine up by the expo center. I already have my Oregon license but travel to Washington often so wanted to get a Utah CHL.

Utah one was pretty much the same, you have to go through the Utah book basically page by page. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have to either issue your card or deny you within 60 days after the application is received.

Make sure your instructor actually signs your application, mine put his stamp on it but forgot to sign it and 60 days turned into about 100 since it had to be sent back and then resubmitted.

You funny guy!
If you wanted to carry in washington? why didnt you just apply for our permit?
If you have finger prints, and a clean record and 55 bucks they are shall issue in 60 days, and have much reciprocity!
No Training, No tests, No nothing...

BTW... this applies to Anyone From Any State,,, If you want to carry in our state?
Apply at any sheriff or police station during your next trip here, it only takes an hour, they will send it to you in the mail!

Cremator75

You funny guy!
If you wanted to carry in washington? why didnt you just apply for our permit?
If you have finger prints, and a clean record and 55 bucks they are shall issue in 60 days, and have much reciprocity!
No Training, No tests, No nothing...

BTW... this applies to Anyone From Any State,,, If you want to carry in our state?
Apply at any sheriff or police station during your next trip here, it only takes an hour, they will send it to you in the mail!

Probably because the UT permit is good in more states.