Thread: Union Metallic Cartridge Company bulk-pack 9mm ammo

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Union Metallic Cartridge Company bulk-pack 9mm ammo

I bought 1000 rounds of subject ammo, and took about 600 rounds to the range today for a Defensive Handgun class. The stuff was CRAP, which would not cycle my firearm (or another student's - so it wasn't my gun). I literally finished the class going bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack...

Has anyone else had any experience with this? UMC is owned by Remington, so I expected name-brand performance.

Curious about others' experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I bought 1000 rounds of subject ammo, and took about 600 rounds to the range today for a Defensive Handgun class. The stuff was CRAP, which would not cycle my firearm (or another student's - so it wasn't my gun). I literally finished the class going bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack...

Has anyone else had any experience with this? UMC is owned by Remington, so I expected name-brand performance.

Curious about others' experiences.
    I've stayed away from that quoted "CRAP" for awhile now. Although I didn't use 9mm, I have tried .223 of that brand in both my AR's. It wouldn't cycle worth a "CRAP" in either weapon.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Banned
    u guys saying it gives crap a bad name?

Nothing new. Its been crap for a long time now.
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

UMC is remanufactured ammunition, I have used it in revolvers without a problem, but then revolvers are more reliable than semi autos. Most likely the problem is the ammo was not properly resized after crimping, which bulges cases slightly, and in a tight gun will result in not feeding. Same problem I encountered with lever actions. Easily cured by using a FTC, but then if a person is reloading they do not usually need to buy remanufactured ammo to begin with.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    UMC is remanufactured ammunition...
    This is new to me. Are we talking about the same stuff?

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...c-handgun.aspx
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    This is new to me. Are we talking about the same stuff?

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...c-handgun.aspx
    Apparently not all of it is remanufcatured, I had bought UMC that was marked remanufactured. Sorry my mistake to assume that all of it was. Remington is well respected, it does surprise me that factory ammo would be having a problem. I tried to find the box in my cabinet, I must have tossed it, used all of it up with no problems. I bought it because one of the indoor range frowned upon reloads.

And after some research it is American made ammo, shame there are problems with it.

PS I looked up and the UMC ultramax is the remanufactured ammo, I believe it is in a different color box. I usually do not throw boxes away, not sure why this one vanished.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-27-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    I had just the opposite. A few years ago, some Remington .357 mag was overpressured. On a friend's gun, it flattened the primers back out. That is to say, instead of the firing pin leaving a dimple in the primer, the cartridges had enough pressure to flatten out the dimple. It was discovered when the the pressure reversed a dimple that then jammed the cylinder because it couldn't turn--the reversed dimple was forced slightly into the firing pin recess making it super difficult to turn the cylinder.

To Remington's credit, they offered to replace the ammo--a fifty round box.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I had just the opposite. A few years ago, some Remington .357 mag was overpressured. On a friend's gun, it flattened the primers back out. That is to say, instead of the firing pin leaving a dimple in the primer, the cartridges had enough pressure to flatten out the dimple. It was discovered when the the pressure reversed a dimple that then jammed the cylinder because it couldn't turn--the reversed dimple was forced slightly into the firing pin recess making it super difficult to turn the cylinder.

To Remington's credit, they offered to replace the ammo--a fifty round box.
    I hope it did not put undue stress on the firearm. I have some Remington Golden Sabers 45 ACP and they are hot, the case head markings become less noticeable when fired one time, and the primer does flatten, but the dimple is still proper. I use them only for carry, actually I get mushrooming from pure lead 230 gn RN cast that I keep the pressure on the safe side. With my lube I get no leading with these bullets. But then I get no leading with the 38 special snub at +P pressure using a pure lead cast bullet, and also get good mushrooming. Actually better than the factory jacketed hollow points.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

While I haven't been on uzitalk.com for a while but I remember Remington 9mm ammo repeatedly mentioned as being severely under powered, so your having a problem with it does not surprise me.