• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Union Metallic Cartridge Company bulk-pack 9mm ammo

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I bought 1000 rounds of subject ammo, and took about 600 rounds to the range today for a Defensive Handgun class. The stuff was CRAP, which would not cycle my firearm (or another student's - so it wasn't my gun). I literally finished the class going bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack...

Has anyone else had any experience with this? UMC is owned by Remington, so I expected name-brand performance.

Curious about others' experiences.

stickslinger

I bought 1000 rounds of subject ammo, and took about 600 rounds to the range today for a Defensive Handgun class. The stuff was CRAP, which would not cycle my firearm (or another student's - so it wasn't my gun). I literally finished the class going bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack-bang-rack...

Has anyone else had any experience with this? UMC is owned by Remington, so I expected name-brand performance.

Curious about others' experiences.

I've stayed away from that quoted "CRAP" for awhile now. Although I didn't use 9mm, I have tried .223 of that brand in both my AR's. It wouldn't cycle worth a "CRAP" in either weapon.

WalkingWolf

UMC is remanufactured ammunition, I have used it in revolvers without a problem, but then revolvers are more reliable than semi autos. Most likely the problem is the ammo was not properly resized after crimping, which bulges cases slightly, and in a tight gun will result in not feeding. Same problem I encountered with lever actions. Easily cured by using a FTC, but then if a person is reloading they do not usually need to buy remanufactured ammo to begin with.

WalkingWolf

Apparently not all of it is remanufcatured, I had bought UMC that was marked remanufactured. Sorry my mistake to assume that all of it was. Remington is well respected, it does surprise me that factory ammo would be having a problem. I tried to find the box in my cabinet, I must have tossed it, used all of it up with no problems. I bought it because one of the indoor range frowned upon reloads.

And after some research it is American made ammo, shame there are problems with it.

PS I looked up and the UMC ultramax is the remanufactured ammo, I believe it is in a different color box. I usually do not throw boxes away, not sure why this one vanished.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I had just the opposite. A few years ago, some Remington .357 mag was overpressured. On a friend's gun, it flattened the primers back out. That is to say, instead of the firing pin leaving a dimple in the primer, the cartridges had enough pressure to flatten out the dimple. It was discovered when the the pressure reversed a dimple that then jammed the cylinder because it couldn't turn--the reversed dimple was forced slightly into the firing pin recess making it super difficult to turn the cylinder.

To Remington's credit, they offered to replace the ammo--a fifty round box.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I had just the opposite. A few years ago, some Remington .357 mag was overpressured. On a friend's gun, it flattened the primers back out. That is to say, instead of the firing pin leaving a dimple in the primer, the cartridges had enough pressure to flatten out the dimple. It was discovered when the the pressure reversed a dimple that then jammed the cylinder because it couldn't turn--the reversed dimple was forced slightly into the firing pin recess making it super difficult to turn the cylinder.

To Remington's credit, they offered to replace the ammo--a fifty round box.

I hope it did not put undue stress on the firearm. I have some Remington Golden Sabers 45 ACP and they are hot, the case head markings become less noticeable when fired one time, and the primer does flatten, but the dimple is still proper. I use them only for carry, actually I get mushrooming from pure lead 230 gn RN cast that I keep the pressure on the safe side. With my lube I get no leading with these bullets. But then I get no leading with the 38 special snub at +P pressure using a pure lead cast bullet, and also get good mushrooming. Actually better than the factory jacketed hollow points.

jeeper1

While I haven't been on uzitalk.com for a while but I remember Remington 9mm ammo repeatedly mentioned as being severely under powered, so your having a problem with it does not surprise me.